PDA

View Full Version : UNLOCKED BIOS GATEWAY/DELL/OEM Motherboard SUCCESS!

khuebl
10-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Hey all,

Just a FYI I just unlocked my Gateway OEM system BIOS!

I have a pretty decent machine -

3.06GHz HT P4 533 MHz FSB
1024 333MHz DDR SDRAM
Intel 845 Chipset

However, most of you know (or may shortly find out) about the INCREDIBLE LIMITATIONS these OEM companies (Gateway, Dell, HP, Compaq, ect) put on options for the motherboard and BIOS!

Well after 2 days of working my *** off, I now have an Intel BIOS (Not Gateway modified Intel) on my machine.

Many more options including RAM options, AGP Aperature, ect are now available to me, and my system runs perfectly.

If I can successfully overclock my PC, then I would have the best of both worlds - If I burn up my processor and/or motherboard, it would be possible to reflash the BIOS back to stock setting (if I even needed to do that), run back to the store and get it fixed for FREE under warranty!!! (But I would never do that....) Anyways,

However, the FSB settings are still locked out, I can see them but not edit them. If anyone knows how to proceed to overclocking please let me know.

My motherboard is the Intel 845GRG
My BIOS version is NOW RG84510A.15A.0033.P17 - The newest version.

If anyone knows any tips, tricks, or articles to point me towards please do so.

If anyone else would like a guide posted on how to do what I did, let me know as well!

Kyran

Blackram_air
10-03-2003, 07:46 AM
How did you unlock it? I have a Sony with an Asus motherboard, I want to unlock.

AntiNazi
10-03-2003, 07:48 AM
i thought intel boards dont allow ocing...

NoAffinity
10-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Intel boards don't OC...which is prolly the reason for the locked FSB settings. Has anyone ever considered swapping out the BIOS chip? I have an EEPROM burner, and I'm thinking if you flashed a BIOS chip, with the equivalent BIOS, and swapped it onto a proprietary board, you would have all options available.

Hmmm....may be looking into picking up a proprietary system just to try it.

khuebl
10-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Basically you need to go into the BIOS and check what your BIOS id string is.

Mine was something like RG84510A.15A.0013.P11

Go to Intel website to their support, then click on desktop boards on the left.

Click on HOW DO I FIND MY MOTHERBOARD?

There will be a reference list that shows what each different motherboard's bios string should be. In my case, the RG84510A part of the string means I have an Intel 845GRG board.

If it is a board direct from Intel, the next part of the string is always 86A (86B or 86C if it is an older board)

Mine was 15A because it is OEM (Gateway, Dell, Sony, ect) will all have the same first part of the string, but the second part of the string will not be 86A

Because of this, if you try to flash update your BIOS with the Intel BIOS update, it will not let you. You have to get your update from the OEM manufacturer.

Basically what I did is find which board I have by comparing the first part of the string, then went and downloaded the correct BIOS update from the Intel website (in this case, for the 845GRG motherboard)

I then made a somewhat hybrid BIOS flash disk using the startup files from the GATEWAY BIOS flash disk but the data from the Intel BIOS flash disk. If you attempt to upgrade the BIOS normally, it will give you an error saying the upgrade is not compatible with your current version of BIOS.

To overcome this, I found on Intel's website where my BIOS jumper is, and put it to recovery mode. I then booted from the hybrid flash BIOS disk I made, and listened for the two beeps. After that, took out the disk, put the jumper back on, and turned on the computer.

Going into the BIOS now shows my bios version as RG84510A.86A.0035.P17!!!! Anytime Intel releases a BIOS upgrade now, I can just use theirs instead of Gateway's.

The last step I have now is trying various FSB speed utilities to vary the processor speed.

Kyran

lnfisk
11-13-2003, 08:41 PM
:confused: Could you tell us the exact files you put on the
recovery disk to flash your board to intel bios?
I have several Gateway D845GRG boards I would really like to flash to intel bios, but after trying everything I can think of ..... no luck.
More info please?

Mizugori
11-25-2003, 03:47 PM
lol...behold the reverse engineering...

I have a Dell 8200, does anyone know what kind of motherboard it has? I cannot seem to find out; progs like Sandra just tell me "Dell Corp 8200" when I try to query the mobo type. Thanks a lot,

Mizugori

afrakes
11-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Open her up and look on the board itself for any model markings. :)

Brett VanKirk
11-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Same Here I have A Dell Dimension 8200, 1.7GHZ. 850 Chipset. If you get it to work great. I will also be trying this. :)

Brett VanKirk
11-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Ok guys i opened my case, know where would i find marking on what motherboard i have. Where about on the motherboard. Thanks

crivley
11-29-2003, 10:19 AM
look all around the mobo, or look in the dell book, or on that sticker they put on the side of your case.

Brett VanKirk
11-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Ok i got my AA number, but when i got to the intel site and put it in it does not find anything. Plus when i got into my bios i can't get my ID. i does not show it anywhere. The only thing i get is my BIOS Rev. A09. I know thats not it. Just my Bios version. Is their a prog that i can download to get my BIOS id/tag?

Grim_CHel
11-29-2003, 10:52 AM
same as BVanKirk82387's did BIOS is A08 i don't know what to do.

Brett VanKirk
11-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Ok i got 3 programs that did a check on my computer. It says i have Phoenix Bios, and my Strong in N/A, Mobo- Dell Corp. Any suggustions, The Bios didn't help

Brett VanKirk
11-30-2003, 09:55 AM
I tryed searching with my AA number on Intels Site. No Luck. Help.

jcb
12-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Their is always someone posting on the Dell Forums asking if they can flash their 400SC to an Intel 875 equivelant. They say it is basically the exact same motherboard.

Brett VanKirk
12-01-2003, 08:02 AM
What do you mean 400SC. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, 1.7GHz, RDRAM PC800. Can some on Tell me the Intel Equivelant. I wrote Dell a letter and they said Intel makes all of Dells Mobos, but they are to dumb to tell me what Intel Board i have. If anyone can Help that would be Great. I have the 850 Chipset. Thanks

Mark
12-01-2003, 08:16 AM
nice job unlocking your bios. the era of taking back our BIOS's has started!

Brett VanKirk
12-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Well we would get ever farther if khuebl would come around or someone with more knowlege and Help me with getting my BIOS String, since i can't get it in the BIOS, and the programs i have don't help. Neither does the people at Dell. Help smart people :)

Brett VanKirk
12-02-2003, 07:17 PM
I have figured some things out and wrote Intel to see if they can help me. Apparently Dell technicians are dumb @$$. If anyone could help that would be sweet.

Mizugori
12-02-2003, 08:41 PM
dunno if this helps you, but hold the windows logo key and tap break (break is a key next to scroll lock usually) then click on hardware tab, then click device manager button. now you have a whole list of goodies,

i looked around and found system devices-system CMOS/real time clock, in its properties it says "Intel(R) 82801BA LPC Interface Controller" maybe that is important?? this is a dell 8200 im talking about...

Brett VanKirk
12-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks Dude, that did tell me anything that I didn't already know, but thanks for the help. :) Intel of course did not help me because itís not an Intel motherboard itís OEM and they refuse to talk to me. I guess all is lost of getting Intel BIOS for my Dell computer, since I can't find out what Intel Motherboard I have. Well it was a good try, but if anyone has any suggestions that would be nice. Thanks

jcb
12-02-2003, 09:48 PM
What I would do for the meantime is take a pic of your motherboard. I would then goto Intel's motherboard site and sift through their many motherboards and see if you can find one that look similar (Same chipset of course) and that would be your starting point. You could then start comparing chips on the boards once you found a match and then get into detail of the bios strings etc.. once you get to that point.

Bono
12-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Hey man do what iam gonna do and get a new board throw that
OEM dell board out the door .. 4 real i cant beleve they can sell
that Cr#p also a 8200 here and its a 850-E chip mine is.
So look at the asus P4t533-C and watch the motherboard forum
for answers to my question .. Help buying a moyherboard .
good luck and let us know ..

Brett VanKirk
12-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Thanks dude, I im not going to get a new Mobo because in the sping of 2004, i want to get the Shuttle XPC SB75G2 that will replace my computer. So it's fine for now.

Brett VanKirk
12-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Man only if khuebl would be online to help use with the problems. Any help would be great. :)

jcb
12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Maybe the bios fix inadvertantly overclocked his CPU and Voltages and destroyed his motherboard.

Just kidding lol.

Brett VanKirk
12-06-2003, 08:13 AM
lol

cmb4787
12-08-2003, 08:18 PM
sorry fellas 3 problems
dell case only fit dell mobos
dell psu only fits dell mobos
you wont be able to use ur rd-ram

you should just sell it

Mizugori
12-08-2003, 10:16 PM
lol what? my dell is not going anywhere...i intend to keep it while i build my other rigs. that way, i always have a backup for internet, relaxed gaming, work, etc. in case my others have problems. also, i can get help while my rigs are on the fritz

Maniac
12-09-2003, 01:53 AM
All i could find about the Dell 8200's mobo is that it is a 7G535; everywhere that is listed as a Dell Dimension 8200 7g535 motherboard... apparently dell makes their own board?

Mizugori
12-09-2003, 02:58 PM
****it dell, why isn't that information found on a ****ing sticker on my ****ing mobo. b4s+4rd5.

wetherby
01-25-2004, 03:08 PM
In response to the original post about swapping the bastard OEM Bios for an original intel Bios, I have done some research into this with my 865GLC OEM Gateway Board.

First thing you do is go to H**P://americanmegatrends.com and find a bios identifier prog. to find your bios string, From there, if so appropriate, go to Intels site to find the match, minus the 86a-15a difference in the string.

This is where I must caution you, Be Absolutely sure the first part of the string matches. From there, for the non- technically challanged get a copy of Intels integrator toolkit to look at the actual bios information to find out if the new bios info is correct. (You will have to be An Intel registered Developer to obtain this from Intel)
ie; if you have a micro ATX the new bios my contain the commands for 5 PCI slots, instead of 3. I found this out the hard way. Luckily I recovered.

Next, get the bios recovery instructions for your intel board, (normally this would entail removing the bios jumper from the board). Then, D/L the Bios recovery file from intel, onto a formatted floppy disk, *note* it does not have to be bootable.
After this, set your board for bios recovery, after you turn it off of course, insert the floppy and restart. THERE WILL BE NO VIDEO AT THIS POINT, so don't freak, and especially don't turn off the machine. It should turn off automatically, or give you a beep code when done, in any case, watch the status indicator on the floppy drive.

When it's done, reset your bios jumper and reboot your machine, enter your bios, and observe the second part of the bios string, In my case it went from BF86510a.15a.**** to BF86510a.86a.****.

Re-Check ALL your new bios info to confirm that it is indeed for your board. and your done

Now, this worked fine for my D865GLC/D865PESO, but your board may be different. As for the Intel Integrator Toolkit, for examining the bios info,...If the powers that be would email me that it is OK to post it, I will.

slodrew
01-26-2004, 12:23 AM
http://www.esupport.com/biosupgrades/

Go there and get their BIOS agent or if you disable quick boot you should be able to see the string at the bottom left of the screen when its counting the memory....

voodoochylde
01-27-2004, 09:18 AM
To identify your BIOS (if you haven't found another, easier way yet) you could try a program called BIOS Wizard...it's available here. (http://www.unicore.com/biosmd/021801/bwz-rel.exe)

Regarding the guy (or anyone else) who has an intel d845GRG mobo (i have the same one on my 2.0 ghz p4 box...and, yes, it's a gateway), you can try a util called CPUCool or CPUFSB (same company). Both of these programs allow you to modify your FSB and get some more speed out of your proc. It works for me but I can't guarantee the same results for you.

I've got my 2.0 ghz p4 up to 2.23 ghz right now...idling at 29 degrees celsius with no fans beside PSU and a crappy 40 mm on my ramsinks.
Here's a jpg conversion of WCPUID (bmp was like 400kb) >>
http://carwashconsultants.netfirms.com/wcpuid.jpg

Zebron
01-29-2004, 10:21 AM
I have no idea how that could have worked khuebl, as iflash uses a primitive form of copy protection that must match header sizes before it will begin flashing. The only way I can think to actually flash an OEM board with an Intel bios is to use uniflash, but you will need a ***.bin file, and the Intel files come as ***.bio files. I don't know how you could convert this...

Has anyone else had any success? I have a Gateway with the same mobo as kjuebl, and have spent hours trying to flash to the Intel bios but nothing. His disappearance act makes me think he might not have been telling the truth, he never actually answered how he did it....

Zebron
01-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Wetherby, I tried the BIOS recovery trick and had no success. Are the file on the recovery floppy as follows:

bios.rec
***.itk
***.sig
***.bio, bi1, etc...

with
autoexec.bat
iflash.exe
beep.com

and you need no dos support at all? I'll try again, but so far this has not worked for me.

Thanks,

Zebron

wetherby
01-29-2004, 05:49 PM
with an intel board, all you'll need is just the .bio file on a non bootable floppy (the bios will automatically look for the file on the A: drive) Set the board to bios recovery mode(generally this would entail removing the bios jumper), insert the floppy and wait.
DO NOT turn off the machine, it should shut off by itself, or beep twice when done.

As I stated before, Be VERY careful to match your bios with the like bios from intel. Especially if you have a micro atx (I learned this the hard way) If you want, I can send you a copy of intels integrator toolkit to view the info.

Zebron
01-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Wetherby, thank you for the tips.

My research has turned up the following:
Intel provides a single recovery BIO file for the 865 chipsets but I cannot find any for the 845 chipsets. The best thing I can try would be to string all the BIO files into a single BIO file, but that would obviously be taking my chances. Or maybe the 845 recovery requires having a boot disk. On the Intel site it says:

"BIOS Recovery

In the unlikely event that a FLASH upgrade is interrupted catastrophically, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. Recovering from this condition requires the following steps (be sure a power supply and speaker have been attached to the board, and a floppy drive is connected as drive A):

Change Flash Recovery jumper to the recovery mode position.
Install the bootable upgrade diskette into drive A:
Reboot the system.
Because of the small amount of code available in the non-erasable boot block area, no video is available to direct the procedure. The procedure can be monitored by listening to the speaker and looking at the floppy drive LED. When the system beeps and the floppy drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device. As soon as the drive LED goes off, the recovery is complete.
Turn the system off.
Change the Flash Recovery jumper back to the default position.
Remove the upgrade floppy in drive A: and turn the system on.
NOTE: If the error message "CMOS/GPNV Checksum BadÖPress F1 to Run SETUP" appears during boot, then press [F1] to go into the "BIOS Setup Utility", press [F9] to load setup defaults, and then press [F10] to save and exit."

Here they say "bootable" whereas for the the 865 chipset it is a completely different set of instructions. Oh well, I will keep digging away!

Would the integrator toolkit be of any use to me? If so I would really appreciate you emailing it to me at
mark@otimultimedia.com
Thanks again,

Zebron