EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #121
cuog
Render/Folding Farmer

It is quite possible that it is just you however I did write this using 6.06 which is still very much supported by ubuntu and is probably a good choice since there are plenty of things that are known to work on it.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #122
THEnumber337
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I'm currently running SMP + VMware. If you want to use Linux but don't want to set it up as a service. Can you just set it up like you do in VMware with this:

mkdir -p ~/folding/FAH
cd ~/folding/FAH
w
get http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz

and run it each time you go into Linux?

Also, one time I accidentally closed the Terminal Window so I couldn't monitor the client anymore but I knew it was still going in the System Monitor. Is there anything I can type in a new Terminal Window that can still monitor the process of the client without having to stop the client somehow and then restart it in a new terminal window?
United States  Offline
Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #123
frozndevl
mo' frozn foldin'

You could always use the 'tail' command on the FAHlog.txt to see its current status.
United States  Offline
Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #124
THEnumber337
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

What's the "tail" command?
United States  Offline
Old 03-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #125
DSwarP
J.D. Freeman

As far as I can tell, it "watches" a text file you specify for updates. So if you "tail" the FAHlog.txt file, it will show it updating.

tail -s 60 -f foldingathome/CPU1/FAHlog.txt
United States  Offline
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #126
runlinux
MC Number Cruncher

all tail does is display the last few bytes of the file.

EDIT* read the man page and the -s 60 tells the command to check the file every 60 seconds, while sleeping in between checks.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #127
THEnumber337
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks guys.

Also, would there be any difference between running the SMP in Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu since the only real main difference is KDE vs. Gnome?
United States  Offline
Old 03-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #128
jaysavesthedayy
never had a Barton

Could anyone shed some light on my install problem.. Im just about to give up.. thanx: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...93#post2665893
United States  Offline
Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #129
NM_JJ
Need more cowbell

Is it possible to fold without leaving a trace on the computer? I have a work laptop I can bring home at night to fold on. The only problem is that I can't leave a trace I've done so. Can I boot off LiveCD and put my fah on a thumb drive? Can I set it up to boot off the thumb drive? The bios is password protected, however, I can choose to boot off CD or other attached media. Will this leave my hd untouched? Thanks for the help.
United States  Offline
Old 03-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #130
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

Yeah a LiveCD should do fine.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply