EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #61
NM_JJ
Need more cowbell

How do you set the priorities if you have 2 consoles running in Windows and SMP running under VMware since both are using the "unused" cycles?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #62
frozndevl
mo' frozn foldin'

VMware is an active process, so it takes cycles first. Then the console clients take what is leftover.
United States  Offline
Old 02-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #63
NM_JJ
Need more cowbell

Thanks for the info. I was waiting until my Windows versions finished before I started the SMP version. Looks like I can start SMP sooner and let both version work.

Additional Comment:

Does the SMP version have to be marked as machine id 3 since the Windows versions have id 1 & 2?

Last edited by NM_JJ : 02-24-2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #64
Somebodynew
Tweak'n

I'm pretty sure it can be set to 1 since the clients ID is saved to the OS's registry. In this case, the windows clients ID's are saved to the windows registry and the SMP Linux client's ID is saved to the Linux "registry" (or whatever it is has).

So 1 or 3 or 8 or whatever ID you want (1-8) should work fine.
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 04:10 AM   #65
ustorfixx
Pedal to the Metal

smp in vm can be 1 also. BC actually it thinks it a whole new computer not part of windows. You'll actually note that on stanfords page you've added CPUs. Tho you really havn't.
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #66
NM_JJ
Need more cowbell

Just got my SMP version running and I received one of those project 2605 proteins I read about on one of the other forums. I have a P-D 930 stock. Has anyone isolated the problem with running these on VMware SMP? If this takes a long time, should I (and how do I) kill this process and try to get a different project?

Additional Comment:

PS: Other sites show about 1.5 hours per percent for p2605. If it is a 1760 point WU then this will net about 280 ppd which is still more than I was getting, but not much more like others are getting.

Additional Comment:

PPS: This work unit also has a due date of 4 days and at 1.5 hours per percent it won't be done for 6.5 days.

Last edited by NM_JJ : 02-25-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #67
Somebodynew
Tweak'n

Is that a problem specific to the P-D's?? My 3.6 Conroe is working on a 2605 right now at 12min per frame. (2112ppd) Have already done 2 before this one, the past 2 days, and they too went at 12min per frame...

How much RAM are you allowing the VM to use?
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #68
KillerBeagle
Westminster reject

It appears to be only a problem for the combination of Pentium D and VMware. People running native Linux have not had any trouble at all. Also, the amount of memory allocated to the VM doesn't seem to matter in this case - even those with 1GB for the VM still see the same thing.

Honestly there is no easy way around this (unless you consider installing Linux easy, which depends on your background, and you don't need Windows on that box) until someone figures out the VMware issue. SMP on Pentium D only seems practical with native Linux. The vast majority of work I have seen over the last week or so is 2604 and 2605 so chances are slim that you will get one of the smaller projects at this point.
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #69
NM_JJ
Need more cowbell

Yes this is specific to P-Ds under VMware. Native Linux w/P-Ds does not have the problem. I'm running 512 MB for mem and it seems to be enough. How do you stop this process and get a different protein? I don't think I'll make the deadline.

Additional Comment:

This seems to be specific to 2605. Is there a way to try 2604?

Last edited by NM_JJ : 02-25-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #70
KillerBeagle
Westminster reject

2604 & 2605 behave very similarly, and I can't see any mention of success with 2604's on the folding community forums where the P-D/VMware/2605 issue is being discussed.

I don't think there is a good way to run this configuration without damaging the scientific process, so I'm going to update the first post:

Due to an unresolved performance issue with VMware running project 2605 on Pentium D systems, I don't recommend using VMware for folding on Pentium D processors.
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #71
NM_JJ
Need more cowbell

I guess I'll kill my VMware and just use two consoles. I was looking forward to those higher point values. Does anyone know if VMware or Pande is investigating this problem?

Additional Comment:

Would it be worth it to set up a dual boot system and run these at night or while I'm gone on the weekends? I've never done this before so I don't know what it entails. I don't have to wipe the drive and reload everything do I? Can I just partition part of the drive?

Additional Comment:

Sorry I keep adding to this post. However, can I boot into Ubuntu using a LiveCD? Has anyone tried this with XP installed? How does it use the Hard Disk if I install SMP?

Last edited by NM_JJ : 02-25-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #72
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

you're fine. But I'd think you can boot from a CD. At least you can use an ISO on your HD I'd imagine. I haven't tried it lately but I seem to remember doing it.
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #73
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

Ok, can somebody help me with this? Here's my situation.

I'm currently triple-booting Sabayon, XP and Vista. I'm trying to learn to use linux for most of my stuff, but I want to keep folding when I need to run windows...

1) I fold from a shared partition, so the folding files are accessible from within windows - I presume this means that a VMware client can also access these files and continue the units I'm folding within Sabayon...

2) I want a fairly minimal (but not too difficult) distribution. I don't even care if it is CLI, as long as it can get itself installed without too much intervention, because when I'm using linux for my own stuff I will use Sabayon. Can somebody suggest one that is 64bit, vmware compatible, and possible to get onto folding without too much hassle?

Edit:

nvm, I think I will take this question to the linux section.

Last edited by thread : 03-24-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Australia  thread Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 PM   #74
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

Ubuntu is fairly easy to set up. As far as that goes you could set up the EXT extensions to Winblows and access Linux. That's the best way to do it. I can't think of too much to be technical to help you run the same WUs from VMware and a linux boot unless you set up an FTP server from Winblows on a FAT32 partition or something that the VMware can access (unless you can mount a drive through VMware IDK) then access it physically in Linux.
United States  Offline
Old 03-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #75
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

hmmm...

I currently have the files stored on a FAT32 drive that windows can access.

But presumably you can't have both windows and vmware linux mounting the same drive at the same time... Would it be better to store the files on my ext3/sabayon partition and have vmware mount that?

Or perhaps - I could have windows share the folder via Samba and have 'nix mount that?

Last edited by thread : 03-27-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Australia  thread Folds For EOC!  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply