EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives & Flash Media
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
adamsap
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Fixing Intel Matrix RAID 0

I had 2 disks configured as RAID 0 array using Intel Matrix controller on GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P board. While troubleshooting some stability issues with the machine, I reset BIOS settings to Safe Default. This reset the SATA ports from RAID mode to SATA. When I reset it back to RAID, one of the disk is assigned to the array but the other isn't. Needless to say the array is in FAILED state. How can I fix the array? The Intel Matrix BIOS tool doesn't seem to allow me to reassign the disk to the array. I can only reset all disk to non-array mode and then create a new array using the same disks. Will this preserve the data on the array? Intel BIOS tool warns that resetting disk to non-array mode will erase the data. Is there any other way to fix the array? Would Windows Intel Martix Manager be able to do this? I would appreciate any advice.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Try re-arranging the SATA ports they're attached to. Also check the cables. If you do that and the RAID array is still refusing to detect them, you're pretty much SOL... de-RAIDing them and then re-RAIDing them will clear all data on the disk.
United States  Offline
Old 01-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Timeset
Democracy < Freedom

Careful with a raid 0 you dont want to reset the aray. check the Bios raid settings see what Sata prorts are configured for the aray and make sure those are the ports you have the drives pluged into.
United States  Offline
Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
LMHmedchem
Mad Warranty Voider

This is really not what you want to hear right now, but for next time, back up your OS partition with an image using freeware like clonezilla or payware like acronis or R-drive. If you ever have a problem like this, you just reset your raid and then restore the OS partition from the image using the recovery boot CD. It takes 15-30 min and you are back in business.

If you OC and tweak your OS settings and such, odds are very good you will mess things up and need to restore at some point. Adding a raid to the mix only makes this more likely.

Section 1 of this tutorial explains the steps to get set up in the right way. I don't mean to preach, but I get sick every time I read a thread like this and realize that 30 minutes of preparation would have given you an easy way out.

LMHmedchem
United States  Offline
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
issa2000
Long Time User

Thumbs up even if your meta data is changed (no data on raid) you can get data off

you can use filescavanger to recover raid 0 data back onto a new hdd..

(just plug into hdds controller as non raid..) order the software (what is first hdd etc+stripe size)

iv done this, it works..

one you get the data off.. then redo your raid etc..(you need reg version of software)
Australia  Offline
Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
adamsap
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I found a solution and I thought I'd share it. I was able to recover the broken array using following steps.

1. Reset both HDs to non-member using Intel BIOS utility - the utility warns that all data will be lost - in fact only metadata is lost and can be recreated using steps below.

2. Create a new array with identical settings as the broken array. It is critical that the HDs are in the array the same order as before. I was reconnecting the drives several times and lost track of correct order. Because of that I had to go through the steps twice (I guessed wrong the first time).

3. Get TestDisk from http://www.cgsecurity.org. I used Windows version (I installed a new Vista on a separate HD for this purpose).

4. Run TestDisk according to steps on the web site. If your HDs are connected in correct order, TestDisk should find the lost partition(s) within a few seconds. It ran for several hours, scanning my array and never found anything because I had HDs were connected in wrong order. After I changed the order and restarted from step #1 TestDisk found the missing partition immediately.

5. Have the TestDisk write the fixed partition table to the drive and reboot.

6. Now all your data on the array should be readable but the system might not boot (it didn't for me).

7. Run Vista repair from installation CD to fix the MBR.

8. Last but not least, send a donation to Mr. Grenier, the author of TestDisk.
United States  Offline
Old 01-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
msenzo2005
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanksfor the assistance

adamsap you are a lifesaver. I thought I was toast. Followed your steps and fully recovered my PC. Just some additional info for anyone who tries to use XP as a temptory build to run testdisk on. You will need to load the XP dirvers for the RAID support (in this case Intel Matrix) so that XP can see the re-built Raid0 array. Other than that testdisk was awesome, discovered my 2 partitions re-wrote the array 'metadata' and XP re-booted no problem.
Was simple and a real lifesaver. I will still use Raid0 as it is fast, but have improved my back-up and now will add testdisk to my 'crashkit'.

Great advice thanks
New Zealand  Offline
Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
pjtonge
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I also want to thank you for posting this information; it has allowed me to fully recover my data (in spite of Intel customer support who told me that there was no hope of recovering it other than paying a data recovery firm). For information I used the DOS version of Testdisk with a FreeDOS CD, and didn't need to use any special drivers.

Thanks again
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 02-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
4-n-zics
End of line
Super Moderator

Will this work on RAID 0 Arrays using other RAID controllers? If so, I can repost this as a sticky for fixing RAID 0 Arrays.
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
veeco
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Wow. Thank you adamsap and pjtonge (about the DOS CD), you saved my computer. This happened to my RAID 0 array after bad memory BSODed me multiple times.

My 2 cents: After I completed everything and I booted into windows, I couldn't get past the login screen. All I saw was my background. I booted into safe mode with F8 and Windows recognized a disk drive (not sure if that mattered). What I think caused this is that the system time was wrong. I changed it back to the correct time and viola I booted back into windows no problem.

Again thank you. Life saver! Or time saver since I backed up everything (can never trust a RAID0).
United States  Offline
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
ether.real
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsap View Post
Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I found a solution and I thought I'd share it. I was able to recover the broken array using following steps.

1. Reset both HDs to non-member using Intel BIOS utility - the utility warns that all data will be lost - in fact only metadata is lost and can be recreated using steps below.

2. Create a new array with identical settings as the broken array. It is critical that the HDs are in the array the same order as before. I was reconnecting the drives several times and lost track of correct order. Because of that I had to go through the steps twice (I guessed wrong the first time).

3. Get TestDisk from http://www.cgsecurity.org. I used Windows version (I installed a new Vista on a separate HD for this purpose).

4. Run TestDisk according to steps on the web site. If your HDs are connected in correct order, TestDisk should find the lost partition(s) within a few seconds. It ran for several hours, scanning my array and never found anything because I had HDs were connected in wrong order. After I changed the order and restarted from step #1 TestDisk found the missing partition immediately.

6. Now all your data on the array should be readable but the system might not boot (it didn't for me).

This post is pure gold. It just saved my bacon, big time.

Adam, PM me your paypal, I got $5 for you.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-n-zics View Post
Will this work on RAID 0 Arrays using other RAID controllers? If so, I can repost this as a sticky for fixing RAID 0 Arrays.
Dont know if it will work for non-intel arrays, but its worth stickying anyway, IMO.

Last edited by ether.real : 03-02-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
mjak
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
I found a solution and I thought I'd share it. I was able to recover the broken array using following steps.
Many thanks for the info!
After reseting raid, TestDisk found all my 6 partitions, including two reiserFS.
I have some problem with installing grub back on the mbr, but I will deal with it tomorrow morning - the most important part is that WinXP boots and I can now go to sleep knowing that no data was lost

Thanks again, adamsap!!
Poland  Offline
Old 05-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
MarcoGazzola
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:

I think this would be the right recipe for my problem, that is a Raid0 corruption; but, because of my inexperience with this kind of problem and Bios utility usage, I ask you some more explanations of the 2nd point: how can I recreate the same identical raid? how can I know wich is the first and second hd to put them in the right order?

My raid controller is that one of mb Asus P5B-deluxe Wi/Fi

Thank you

Additional Comment:

I tried the procedure described above, but when I reset the raid to recreate it, the bios utility cannot recreate the raid and says to me that the raid is failed...how can I go through this problem?

Last edited by MarcoGazzola : 05-13-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Italy  Offline
Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
ether.real
Banned!
Banned
It could be a more drastic problem. Try running HD diags on your drives.
United States  Offline
Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
MarcoGazzola
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I've run fdisk -l from linux (installed on a third hd of 500Gb) and this is the output:

Disk /dev/sda: 74.3 GB, 74355769344 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9039 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0010aba6

Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/sdb: 74.3 GB, 74355769344 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9039 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/sdc: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x8084b1c1

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 54011 433843326 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdc2 54012 60801 54540675 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdc5 54012 54273 2104483+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdc6 54274 60801 52436128+ 83 Linux

Seems that there's no problem in the 2 hd (74.3Gb)...maybe is the problem in the ICH8 raid controller?
Italy  Offline
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
ether.real
Banned!
Banned
I dont think fdisk will necessarily find low level HD issues.
United States  Offline
Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
kamps
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Hi,
This is great thread it gave me a hope that Raid 0 can be restored after unplugging one of disks!

Now it is even simpler! With new Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.8 there is new option to recover on Raid 0 array.

In my case it just works - it is simple - when you unplug one disk from array, Intel Matrix BIOS will set whole array as Fail and it can't be fixed by BIOS utility only. I've just installed WinXP on temporary IDE drive then Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.8 to enable RAID functions. After restart you will get an option on right mouse button menu to recover your RAID 0! It work simple and quickly - but only when data on unplugged drive are untouched.
Works for me! - no more stress while unplugging one drive to firmware upgrade (SEAGATE 7200.11 - another story )

One more: best to know how your data are important for you is to lost them for a while! Best lesson to change your backup solution.
Poland  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply