EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Tech News & Press Releases > Back Page News (Submit News Here)
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Johnny9ball
Extreme Overclocker

Talking Turn your Win7 PC into a Wifi Hotspot!

I know this isnt new technology but its built into Windows 7 now and you can enable it with just your hardware and Windows 7. Instant WI-FI router/repeater right from your computer with Win 7. Works great just did it on my HP TX2Z with the manual way and with the free program Connectify. All you need is one compatible WI-FI card, Win7, and you can now virtualize it into more than one network card. One to eat the data the other one to serve data over virtual WI-FI. Or connect to two different hotspots at once. Connectify is free and makes the process very easy. Just Google Connectify. The receiving WI-FI device doesn't need anything except the ability to pick up a WI-FI signal.

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/how-...-virtual-wifi/

This is very useful in different situations. Using a single (paid for or not) connection on a plane/hotels/coffeehouse/house/wherever you can virtualize your Network card and serve a connection (from the Win7 computer that is receiving that connection) with ssid and password(WEP) also.

Say your at someones house and they have internet but no router just use your laptop to serve a WI-FI connection.

How about using your laptop or Win7 computer as a repeater for you internet signal.

Lan party's computers pushing repeating the signal thorough a house/building.

Have a broadband 3G service, just virtualize your Network card and pump out a ssid and password for your household, for instance for your PS3/Itouch/laptops/internet device to log onto without needing extra broadband USB plug-ins.

On a plane and pay for internet service? Virtualize your paid for connection and let your buddy 5 rows down share your internet.

Windows 7 to Turn Your WI-FI Card Into Two

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...lize,7840.html

How about Mesh Networking? Imagine a huge Mesh Network with windows 7 laptops picking up signals and pushing them along.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...soft-research/
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Chillaxed
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
i can do this with my android phone since i have root access. everyone connects to it like an ad-hoc and uses the 3g as internet. in ottawa i get download speeds of 600+kb/s
Canada  Offline
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Johnny9ball
Extreme Overclocker

They had it into Win7 but never made any utilities to use it but you can still use it. Very useful if you have a mobile Win7 laptop.
United States  Offline
Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
S3CUR3 1
Now Folding...

I'll have to play with this on my netbook... it's a cool idea, if nothing else.
United States  Offline
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
retslag1
Need help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
i can do this with my android phone since i have root access. everyone connects to it like an ad-hoc and uses the 3g as internet. in ottawa i get download speeds of 600+kb/s
really how? oO i have a droid phone!
United States  Offline
Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
SpAzErMaN
Extreme Overclocker

So, say you have your laptop, and a friends. Can you play LAN games simply by simulating a router on your laptop, both laptops connect to it, and it works?

that IS pretty neat.
Canada  Offline
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Johnny9ball
Extreme Overclocker

Yup you could create a lan party with just the computers Win7 and the WI-FI cards in them. In fact only one computer would need Win7 the rest could just join the virtual router.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply