EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Tech News & Press Releases > The Front Page Headlines
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
WiCKeD
Hunting jobs...
Senior Moderator

HP to replace flash and SSD in 2013

While HP has made waves recently with several extraordinary business decisions, their PC arm is still on track to revolutionize electronics with the release of once theoretical memristor technology in SSD storage devices, within 18 months.
HP intends to have an alternative technology to flash on the market in eighteen months, an alternative to DRAM in three to four years and, following DRAM, a replacement for SRAM, Stan Williams, Senior Fellow at HP, told the IEF2011 meeting in Seville this morning.

"We’re planning to put a replacement chip on the market to go up against flash within a year and a half," said Williams, "and we also intend to have an SSD replacement available in a year and a half."

"In 2014 possibly, or certainly by 2015, we will have a competitor for DRAM and then we’ll replace SRAM."

"Flash is a done deal," said Williams, "now we’re going after DRAM, and we think we can do two orders of magnitude improvement in terms of switching energy per bit."

HP’s technology allows the memory layers to be put directly on top of the processor layer making for very fast systems on chip.

"We put the non-volatile memory right on top of the processor chip, and, because you’re not shipping data off-chip, that means we get the equivalent of 20 years of Moore’s Law performance improvement," said Williams.

"We’re running hundreds of wafers through the fab," said Williams, we’re way ahead of where we thought we would be at this moment in time."

HP’s approach is memristor, thin film technology which it allows it to stack an "arbitrary number of layers," said Williams, with 500 bn memristors per layer at 5nm.

Asked if HP was going back into the components business, Williams replied: "We’re the world’s largest purchaser of DRAM and the second largest buyer of flash and we’re trying to disrupt and re-arrange our supply chain. The plan is to license this technology to anyone who wants it, and we’ll teach them how to make it. But you’ll have to stand in line, we have a bunch of people queued for it. We’re doing this because, frankly, we didn’t see a hell of a lot of innovation happening out there."

Asked about the competition, Williams said: "Samsung has an even larger group working on this than we do."

Williams was appointed by David Packard to get HP into nanotechnology. HP has supported his efforts ever since. "I’ve been through seven CEOs and never had a glitch or a downturn," said Williams.
Full Article @ Electronicsweekly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Memristor.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	160445  
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
KingJames84
Run it till she pops

sounds pretty bad *** to me, hope to see a consumer chip eventually
United States  Offline
Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
jmknsd
Caffeine Overclocker

I've seen too many RAM replacements to believe anything anyone says until I see it.
United States  Offline
Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
WiCKeD
Hunting jobs...
Senior Moderator

It could possibly be talk to boost the marketability of their PC arm to potential buyers. We will see...
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #5
Perkomate
this is a custom titl

i seriously hope that they actually can compete, it will mean that they retain some of their credibility as a computer company
Australia  Offline
Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCKeD View Post
Williams was appointed by David Packard to get HP into nanotechnology. HP has supported his efforts ever since. "Iíve been through seven CEOs and never had a glitch or a downturn," said Williams
This is pretty telling... He's seen seven CEOs in his time? That's quite a bit of turnover that would create a lot of instability no?
United States  Offline
Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Odanez
I am Jean Luc Bacardi

This is the second time I have heard about the memristor, the last time was in 2008... Is this a good sign?
Germany  Offline
Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
ELItheICEman
#define i 0x15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odanez View Post
This is the second time I have heard about the memristor, the last time was in 2008... Is this a good sign?
Hard to say. Last I heard about the memristor (which, come to think of it, may have been five to ten years ago) it was just physically created. I'd think in the following years much work was done to reduce manufacturing cost and research applications for it. With something this new and potentially revolutionary, there's gotta be a long development time to make sure they get it right - not just in theory, but also in production.

So if you ask me, I think it's just fine. As for the projected timeline... I'm not sure I buy the 18 months forecast, but still - good to know they're confident in their research. I'd love to see new memory and storage applications in the near future.
United States  Offline
Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
maxgull
fo mo yeers

Will it be cheaper?

And dont forget the HP trademark, if you buy the new 2TB memristor stick, it will be preloaded with 1metric ton of HP useless Bloatware that slows you rig down by 80% and does absolutely nothing.
United States  Offline
Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
Perkomate
this is a custom titl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgull View Post
Will it be cheaper?

And dont forget the HP trademark, if you buy the new 2TB memristor stick, it will be preloaded with 1metric ton of HP useless Bloatware that slows you rig down by 80% and does absolutely nothing.
This. At least now they're out of the pre-built PC buisiness (apparently) this won't be such a problem. Hopefully.
Australia  Offline
Old 10-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #11
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

So let me get this straight... its basically 5nm RAM? In the way that we currently have 32nm processors. What size is the RAM nowadays?
United States  Offline
Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
maxgull
fo mo yeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkomate View Post
This. At least now they're out of the pre-built PC buisiness (apparently) this won't be such a problem. Hopefully.
That won't stop them, if they will still sell Printers or Cameras you will get the same ton-o-crap.

If you could turn all the existing HP Bloatware into Gasoline it would be 2cents a gallon.
United States  Offline
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
Kevster2004
Baking to the max

I'll pass judgement when i see actual working products
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
Perkomate
this is a custom titl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgull View Post
If you could turn all the existing HP Bloatware into Gasoline it would be 2cents a gallon.
If HP made gas, cars would be overtaken by a slug on tranqilisers.
Australia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply