EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Off Topic / General Chat (No Post Increase) > Member's Showcase
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

You're missing the point, Amish. The leased card can be upgraded and downgraded at the lessee's discretion so their paying for the ability to have the newest card when it comes out. If the site is used to it's full extent the people using come out way ahead and they save themselves the trouble of buying, selling, and RMAing.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
Amish
Amish Hit Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carozzeria View Post
You're missing the point, Amish. The leased card can be upgraded and downgraded at the lessee's discretion so their paying for the ability to have the newest card when it comes out. If the site is used to it's full extent the people using come out way ahead and they save themselves the trouble of buying, selling, and RMAing.
I didn't miss the point. I went to that web site and educated myself on exactly how it works. Ultimately though you end up paying way too much for whichever card you have. I don't need to upgrade multiple times during a single 12 month lease period. I usually upgrade once every two to three years and ultimately spend much less than I would through this service.

It's not a wise investment of my money thats for sure.

So it works out good for some of you but I'd rather save a bit of cash and just buy a new video card when I need one.
United States  Offline
Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #23
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish View Post
I don't need to upgrade multiple times during a single 12 month lease period.
Than you have nothing to gain from the service. It is only for.... cutting edge gamers that do come out ahead at the end of the year. Anyone using it, like you said, to have a payment system on a single card just needs to get their own credit line in order.
United States  Offline
Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
buttons
BudgetBoy

I wanted a 7970 now, and a 7990 later. I didnt have $579 available, but did have $57 :-).

Currently, i plan to send the 7970 back when they get 7990 assuming its reasonable. their 6990 was $73...

I justified it because after a month of mining the card still nets me $20 profit
United States  Offline
Old 02-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #25
Amish
Amish Hit Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carozzeria View Post
Than you have nothing to gain from the service. It is only for.... cutting edge gamers that do come out ahead at the end of the year.
I find this quite funny actually. I'm a pretty serious gamer lol but I guess I'm not cutting edge.

TBH though I can buy a cutting edge video card every single time one releases if I wanted to. No credit involved.

I think its not for cutting edge gamers but for people that are either low income or low on cash. It's those people that are more desparate and willing to pay interest on a product they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post
I wanted a 7970 now, and a 7990 later. I didnt have $579 available, but did have $57 :-).

Currently, i plan to send the 7970 back when they get 7990 assuming its reasonable. their 6990 was $73...

I justified it because after a month of mining the card still nets me $20 profit
In your case your mining is paying off the card which is cool. No real loss there
United States  Offline
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
buttons
BudgetBoy

My revenue from mining fluctuates. Currently the 7970 is making about $50 a month after paying its own electric. so im out $7 monthly at this rate. if i had left it in my Llano build it would make closer to $60. my llano used less watts at the wall then my 960T plus it contributed another 75mh/sec.

293watts 600mh/sec
vs
281watts 675mh/sec

It just blows me away that the 20+ hours a day my video card would normally not being used while im at work, eating, showering or sleeping can generate a small income.
United States  Offline
Old 02-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #27
Urbanfox
<><><><><><>

Quote:
My revenue from mining fluctuates. Currently the 7970 is making about $50 a month after paying its own electric. so im out $7 monthly at this rate. if i had left it in my Llano build it would make closer to $60. my llano used less watts at the wall then my 960T plus it contributed another 75mh/sec.

293watts 600mh/sec
vs
281watts 675mh/sec

It just blows me away that the 20+ hours a day my video card would normally not being used while im at work, eating, showering or sleeping can generate a small income.
Hmmm... I'm considering buying one and let it mine until it pays itself off (I'll run it at work so no electricity bill), what would you guess it would make running 24/7 in a month just by itself?

Additional Comment:

Hmm... Don't really have a PCIe 2.0 machine to put it in, though...

Additional Comment:

PCIe 1.0 @ 16x should be enough bandwidth for the 7970 if it's just running data to the core, not using VRAM...

OK, I'll will stop using your thread as a sound board lol.

Last edited by Urbanfox : 02-12-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Online
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #28
buttons
BudgetBoy

umm probably $75 a month if your not paying electric. i use bitclockers.com -- they have a nice profitability calculator on there. I don't speak for everyone but i dont trust bitcoin currency that much. It might be worth $6 USD today and $2 USD tomorrow. Last two months its been stable $5.50-6.20 though. just 3 months ago it was around $2.50 before shooting up over $5. Ive been using 16x to 1x pci-e extenders with no problem. havent tried it on the 7970 but highly doubt it would cause a problem.

edit: without paying electric and overclocked to 1125mhz it would make about $82 a month currently
United States  Offline
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
Urbanfox
<><><><><><>

Quote:
umm probably $75 a month if your not paying electric. i use bitclockers.com -- they have a nice profitability calculator on there. I don't speak for everyone but i dont trust bitcoin currency that much. It might be worth $6 USD today and $2 USD tomorrow. Last two months its been stable $5.50-6.20 though. just 3 months ago it was around $2.50 before shooting up over $5. Ive been using 16x to 1x pci-e extenders with no problem. havent tried it on the 7970 but highly doubt it would cause a problem.

edit: without paying electric and overclocked to 1125mhz it would make about $82 a month currently
Interesting. Thank you for the info!

I'm thinking about buying one and letting it mine for a couple months to help justify the cost.
United States  Online
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
DrGuns4Hands
Come on Piledriver

Sorry to Resurrect a dead thread but I thought it should be mentioned the reason your 7970 is running so hot is it's using the reference cooler and to put it nicely they are pathetically and utterly useless compared to any aftermarket cooler. You should be able to shave 10c easy with a good cooler.

Link to why I say this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...w,3186-11.html
United States  DrGuns4Hands Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #31
901-Memphis
Santa Hat!

Thanks for the thread, i think leasing a graphics card is an interesting idea! Like getting a credit card for those with bad credit, and you can pay it off at the end of the lease. Sure it costs a little more but for some that is a nice option!
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #32
buttons
BudgetBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGuns4Hands View Post
Sorry to Resurrect a dead thread but I thought it should be mentioned the reason your 7970 is running so hot is it's using the reference cooler and to put it nicely they are pathetically and utterly useless compared to any aftermarket cooler. You should be able to shave 10c easy with a good cooler.

Link to why I say this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...w,3186-11.html
The reference cooler is really beefy and i really like that it vents hot air out of the case. Bitcoin mining generates a lot more heat then gaming too. Undervolted its 71C 40% fan 950mhz/800mem. Im going to undervolt either way because it saves me money.

If i could figure out how the heatsink comes off id reapply thermal paste, that helped my 5870 a ton
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #33
901-Memphis
Santa Hat!

Can't you stand to turn the fan closer to 60-70%? That should drop the temps a lot further.
United States  Offline
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
DrGuns4Hands
Come on Piledriver

just got the Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme on my 5870 which has the same stock cooler as your card went from 70c to 40c at full load and it's whisper quiet bitcoin mining my self. undervolted to .9v and 725/300 now it's loading at about 35c. it's quieter than when the stock cooler was running at 25%. they say 34c temp drop on the box and I thought it was hype but it is dead to real.
United States  DrGuns4Hands Folds For EOC!  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply