EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Motherboards
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Tmitch
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

asrock 939Dual-sata2 BSOD problems

I originally ran this mobo with Opteron dual core 2200 cpu even though my bios (early) was for an AMD Athlon. I was able to OC it until about a year ago when I started to have occasional BSODs so, I backed it off and it has been working perfectly until now. All of a sudden it started crashing again, so I slowed it down some more (about 10x, or 2000). All was well until, I went to Asrock, downloaded a new bios to use the Opteron, and ordered a new Opteron 2400 cpu. Now, I can't OC it at all, and it won't boot into Window(XP) unless I disable the dual core. Asrock won't help.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

First, always give all your system specs for help on hardware problems.
Now, I can make this pretty short and sweet for you, as I've had a couple of these boards already.
1) Test your PSU
2) Those boards are notorious for power regulation failure.
If it's not the PSU, it's probably the board.
United States  Offline
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Tmitch
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I have discovered a few things since. The Opteron evidently doesn't let you overclock with the multiplier but by changing the frequency of the cpu. This works now that I understand it. Oddly enough, when I had the old bios (which really didn't support the Opteron, I was able to "supposedly" change the multiplier, but when I upgraded the bios to support the opteron, everything changed.

Now that I understand, everything is fine, EXCEPT I can't enable the dual cores (which is by default "enabled"). When I do, I get the BSOD when it tries to boot into Windows. I am pretty sure that I could enable the dual cores (since the default is "enabled" when it thought I had an Atholon with the 1.2 bios.

I am tempted to go back to the early bios (now running the latest 2.2, also tried the 1.4 which was the first to support the Opteron), but that can't be right.
United States  Offline
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmitch View Post
I have discovered a few things since. The Opteron evidently doesn't let you overclock with the multiplier but by changing the frequency of the cpu. This works now that I understand it. Oddly enough, when I had the old bios (which really didn't support the Opteron, I was able to "supposedly" change the multiplier, but when I upgraded the bios to support the opteron, everything changed.

Now that I understand, everything is fine, EXCEPT I can't enable the dual cores (which is by default "enabled"). When I do, I get the BSOD when it tries to boot into Windows. I am pretty sure that I could enable the dual cores (since the default is "enabled" when it thought I had an Atholon with the 1.2 bios.

I am tempted to go back to the early bios (now running the latest 2.2, also tried the 1.4 which was the first to support the Opteron), but that can't be right.

I have no idea what you're talking about. All Opterons are upward multi locked. They always have been. So the only way to overclock one is using the bus. Also, I'm not getting what you're saying about 'enabling' dual cores. As soon as you install it, it's dual core. There is no enabling necessary, unless you mean that windows doesn't show that both cores are enabled. You would change that in msconfig, not the bios though. There is nothing in that bios to turn on or off cores.

Last edited by Mr.Scott : 02-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply