EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #41
jmossman
Evil or Divine?

I have one card that will do 900 and is stable for gaming, but crashes every once in a while folding. The other starts going nuts past about 850 folding. I haven't taken them past 1.075 for very long though. With more voltage who knows? Guess we'll find out lol.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #42
Overvoltage
Folds for EOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overvoltage View Post
What are you running your 480 at for these units Maniac? The Tim on my card is over a year old and it was the bargain-basement white stuff I put on so it may be time to apply a fresh batch.
I use MSI afterburner to set the speeds and voltages. 12V rail under load is @ 12.08v
When I'm away from the PC I run
.963v core (Droops to .92v in GPU-Z under load)
700 on the Core
1600 on the memory ( no real performance gains running it faster )
Fan is set to 82% @ 3870rpm
Temp holds a steady 89C in a 77F, 25C room.

When I'm at the PC It runs at
1.013v core (Droops to.963 in GPU-z under load)
750 on the core
1600 on the memory
Fan is set to 92% @ 4740rpm
Temp holds at 94C in 77F , 25C room.
MattSharkey got me thinking about my 480. While I don't have a water set-up I do remember it being much quieter under a heavy load so I pulled the card out, popped the upper plastic cover off the card and took the 4 main cooler screws off (they have the tension springs). Most of the paste had migrated from between the block and the gpu lid due to time and that spring pressure. The coverage pattern was beautiful and 100% and thin as you could ask for.
A quick read of any post about TIM on this site would seem to indicate this is ideal and you can't ask for better.

So! I cleaned the block and the lid off and reapplied more paste, only this time I gooped it on there a little heavy right in the center then reassembled.

Temps with the 1 year old paste are above. Temps below are with the same paste.

1.013v core (Droops to.965 in GPU-z under load)
750 on the core
1600 on the memory
Fan runs on auto at 73% @ 3210rpm
Temp holds at 88C in 77F , 25C room.
Amperage feed to the GPU alone dropped 8.75% or 6 Amps to 80 Amps/77W
This is on a 8033 Unit which was unstable at this speed before and much lower temp & fan speed to boot. My ears are at peace.

Maniac It'd probably be worth your time to reapply your paste on the 480, it was for me, since our temps and fan speeds were on a similar curve beforehand. Your fan RPM are faster I think it's because of restrictions in air flow (blowers/fans run faster when starved of air), do you have the bigger air ports on the outlet or the small slats that came on stock coolers?

My conclusion is the paste dried out wich could have left tiny air pockets even though it covered the whole lid. I'm going to try higher clocks since I have the thermal headroom to do so now.

Last edited by Overvoltage : 02-25-2012 at 10:15 AM.
United States  Overvoltage Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
Maniac
You are Roger Smith

My fan RPM is so high because I have a custom fan profile which forces it to 100% at 82C. Everything is stock on my card. It sounds like it may be worth it for me to reapply TIM.
United States  Maniac Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #44
jmossman
Evil or Divine?

I originally tore mine down shortly after buying them and put some artic silver on em. Dropped a few degrees on each. You would think a company would have a vested interest in putting some good TIM on thier products, go figure.

Decided to OC the card a bit today. (gtx-570) ATM I'm running a stable 875 core and completed 3 or 4 WUs and thinking of trying to push it towards 900. I'll be very happy if that happens, but not expecting it to lol.

On another note, I'm having severe desktop lag now. Makes no sense. I've done multiple WUs of each: p8031, p8032, p8033 Nothing has changed, cause this was happening hours before the OC started. Still running 2 monitors like before. I can sit idle with no programs running in the background at all, and no SMP running either. Before I typically had an SMP and at least bittorrent running, if not a couple other things too. Haven't installed a single program and haven't changed any settings on anything. Normally a problem can be solved by figuring out what has changed. This one eludes me. The craziest part is before, I was actually running SMP, bittorrent, and a game at the same time with only seldom stutters for a half second or so, maybe every couple minutes.
United States  Offline
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #45
jkefalas
corporate-sellout.net

TIM reapp for folding GPU's should be standard. With TX-4 reapp my (1) 5850 per sig folds the v.7 beta GPU units at ~8500ppd at ~60c. Egg cooler with plastic shroud removed. Don't know what original folding temps would've been, but original temps for Unigine Heaven 2.5 were ~83c, now runs at ~70c.
United States  Offline
Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #46
_MtM_
Extreme Overclocker

Speaking about gpu tim applications -> My one 9600gt has some kind of issue. With fresh tim and full fan, temp's still get close to 100c measured by the diode. The heatsink is hand warm but no where near that hot. Think I might need to check if I didn't mess up the bios somehow. I know you can adjust a temp offset there somewhere, maybe I accidentally did.

Or, the diode itself is just broken. It's not a problem now, but if the temps raise a tiny bit I'm going to hit thermal limits.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #47
Overvoltage
Folds for EOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
My fan RPM is so high because I have a custom fan profile which forces it to 100% at 82C. Everything is stock on my card. It sounds like it may be worth it for me to reapply TIM.
I was comparing your Max RPM at 100% to mine. I only hit 4800RPM or so max, while you are going over 5600. If that's an issue with my cards Bios or a limitation of my version of Afterburner I don't know. I'm thinking it's because My fan is grabbing more air, I'm at sea-level, and use the bigger ported exhaust grill with reduces back-pressure causing the fan to turn slower at top speed.

Or not, I was just wondering why your fan tops out at a higher speed than mine when we both set it to 100% I've manually moved the fan when it's not running and found no turning resistance other than the repulsive forces of the magnetic fields in the motor. Anyone have an idea why I'm not pushing those kinds of RPM when requesting it?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #48
Maniac
You are Roger Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overvoltage View Post
I was comparing your Max RPM at 100% to mine. I only hit 4800RPM or so max, while you are going over 5600. If that's an issue with my cards Bios or a limitation of my version of Afterburner I don't know. I'm thinking it's because My fan is grabbing more air, I'm at sea-level, and use the bigger ported exhaust grill with reduces back-pressure causing the fan to turn slower at top speed.

Or not, I was just wondering why your fan tops out at a higher speed than mine when we both set it to 100% I've manually moved the fan when it's not running and found no turning resistance other than the repulsive forces of the magnetic fields in the motor. Anyone have an idea why I'm not pushing those kinds of RPM when requesting it?
I'm also fairly close to sea-level.

I have a release-day GTX 480. Could they have put out later revisions with a larger fan with a slower RPM or something?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #49
MattSharkey
Overclocker

Sea Level? are you guys serious? unless if you are benchmarking on Mt. Everest I don't think you're going to see a difference. (certainly not a 20% difference in fan speed.)
United States  Offline
Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #50
Maniac
You are Roger Smith

So I cleaned out the dust filters on my case again (though they weren't that bad), and replaced the lower 200mm side intake fan on my AZZA Hurrican 2000R with a 200mm NZXT 90 CFM fan, and replaced the top 200 mm exhaust fans with a 200mm Antec Big Boy (it doesn't quite fit right, I'm going to have to mod the case or fan but for now it works). My temps are now 74C @ 88% fan speed in a 68F room. Much better temps and much better on the ears!

I've replaced all but 2 fans on my case now, and I'll probably replace one more too. It's a shame because I've had to spend about $80 in fans for this case because the fans it came with are so useless.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #51
jmossman
Evil or Divine?

I've tried just about everything to lower gpu temps. Anything from water, to case fans, to new heatsinks. Obviously water is best but cost too much compared to other means. The best result I've ever gotten is from this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186048
I think I got it for $60 on Ebay, and the other from Newegg with a promo. On a gtx-570 cranked to 900 core under full load it hovers about 65C in a 72F average room. The best part is it's the quietest cooler ever. I just leave it at 100% at all times cause I can't even hear the difference. I was running water at about 50C full load, but it's just so much easier to tear that stuff out and use it for another project.

Now the downside. It's MASSIVE and takes 3 slots basically. It will make it impossible to use a lot of slots lol. I have perhaps 1/8th inch between the cooler and the next card but it's set up in such a way to not starve for air, I can't explain it it's easier to see it, but the guard has adequate air vents so it has NP. Both coolers run the same temps, unlike most other setups.

Another consideration is the way it mounts. I had to modify the mount with a file and a dremmel for one card, but the other fit fine. Basically the heatsink contacts the chip and floats above the rest of the card. It comes with memory and VRM heatsinks and some sh*tty glue that doesn't work very well. I let it sit for 24 hours and 10 minutes after startup most fell off lol. Used heat tape and they work flawlessly now. Just a thought for someone wanting to lower temps for a good price.

EDIT:
Was just checking Newegg and saw others had the problem I did. The DVI plug was moved on one of my cards and it's why I had to move the mount around a bit. Had to "slide" it a 1/4" or so away to clear it. Thought about throwing it on the mill and drilling and tapping and all that BS, but decided industrial epoxy was easier, and it's held for months now just fine. So, would be very sure it fits your card, or be ready to modify it. All it takes is a metal file and epoxy.

Last edited by jmossman : 03-06-2012 at 10:42 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #52
Maniac
You are Roger Smith

My GPU started folding different (older?) units again. These are getting about 12K PPD (compared to 18+) and often only use ~84% of my GPU.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #53
Overvoltage
Folds for EOC

I was reviewing points production for the team and it seems the faster 8031-8034 units for GPU are running low since everyone's numbers are dropping, at-least that's what I attribute it too. I have been folding the 7612 and 7613 since I returned from my move earlier in the month and it's dropped my PPD a good bit, though these units draw 35% or so less power though the GPU so the ambient temperatures don't swing wildly in relation to if the AC is running or not.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #54
Maniac
You are Roger Smith

Well, I can watch anime while these ones are running at least, lol.

Additional Comment:

Just got a P8020.
750/1500/1900
21.8K PPD
79C
95% fan speed....

BTW, since some changing around of my fans I had gotten my temps down to about 74C with the units I was hitting 82C on before. So these newer units are even more intense! Drawing 648 watts at the wall right now.

Last edited by Maniac : 04-27-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply