EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Product Reviews - Written By Members
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Dholby5150
Overclocker

Crossover 27" LED-P

So I have been looking at 27" hi res monitors for a few months. In the US you are going to pay more than $800 for a new one. Little too steep for me. I came across a post on another forum on the Catleap monitors. I didn't like the stand and look of them. Looked at some specs and pictures of the Crossover 27' LED-P 2560x1440. It was more my style. So I ordered one on Ebay for $433 shipped.

Bought it on the 12th of March. It arrived on the 17th of March.

Now these are pretty much bare bones monitors with amazing panels in them. From what I have read/seen it is an LG IPS panel. Very good quality. So far I am very happy with the purchase. The Crossover makes my Viewsonic monitor look old and dated. I have only had it for 6 months.

This is a heavy monitor didn't weigh it. I don't think the case is aluminum. The back is white and the front bezel is black. The stand allows you to move it up and down rotate and tilt up and down. The monitor came with a power supply with outlet plug for Korea. All I did was swap the cable to a standard computer power cable. It also came with a 6 foot Dual DVI cable.

Now some of the first Catleap monitors you could overclock* them to get close to 100hz. Mine unfortunately will only do the rated 60hz at 2560x1440.

Have yet to find a dead pixel anywhere. Overall I think it was a great buy.

Attaching some photos and a video soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDd1...e_gdata_player
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0398resize.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	162706  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0386resize.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	162707  

Last edited by Dholby5150 : 03-18-2012 at 01:32 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
ErickS
Running System Stock

Pretty decent buy for an IPS monitor, also 2560X1440 IPS monitors are well into the 1000 dollar price range, well known brands anyway.

I've always followed 1 golden rule, if you or anyone that you know has never heard of an "X" brand steer away from it. I do look up reviews to see how good of the product it is but generally off brands don't seem to get many reviews because of this.

You definitely got a good deal!
United States  Offline
Old 03-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
DC
Is Dead Tired

This deal has been spreading like wild fire over the enthusiast community - you may never have heard of the brand before, but there are LOADS of people providing input of their recent purchase - all of it generally quite positive.
United States  Online
Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Cecil
Fix The Internet

If you lived in South Korea, you would know the brand. Its like Vizio here.

The Catleap (and the other half dozen related brands) are all LG S-IPS panels with no AG coating. Great monitors for sure.
United States  Offline
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

I dont know, they all say some dead pixels. It might just be to cover themself but I returned 3 LG monitors with one or two dead pixels each. No way in hell I could chance that. They drive me insane.
United States  Offline
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Cecil
Fix The Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox View Post
I dont know, they all say some dead pixels. It might just be to cover themself but I returned 3 LG monitors with one or two dead pixels each. No way in hell I could chance that. They drive me insane.
They say they "may" have dead or bright (stuck) pixels. Hoenstly at this density, one here or there will never bother you.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

you say that, but my 24" lg, 1920 x 1200 had one green spot on the outer 1/3rd in the top right. I tried to use it for 2 days, tried to un stick it, couldnt take it. Returned it, got another. Keep in mind these were $650 at the time. that one had a similar stuck pixle in a similar spot, returned it, got a third that one was a dark spot towards the left. I must have won the LG lotto as there supposed to be the one of the best. Got my Samsung and never had an issue. It was $625 at the time.

I have REALLY good eyes and when I see something like that I cant help but get drawn to it everytime something passes over it that makes it show. Anything visible means I return it.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Dholby5150
Overclocker

Well I did find one discolored pixel. But you really have to look for it. Really small in the lower right corner.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Cecil
Fix The Internet

Quote:
you say that, but my 24" lg, 1920 x 1200 had one green spot on the outer 1/3rd in the top right. I tried to use it for 2 days, tried to un stick it, couldnt take it. Returned it, got another. Keep in mind these were $650 at the time. that one had a similar stuck pixle in a similar spot, returned it, got a third that one was a dark spot towards the left. I must have won the LG lotto as there supposed to be the one of the best. Got my Samsung and never had an issue. It was $625 at the time.

I have REALLY good eyes and when I see something like that I cant help but get drawn to it everytime something passes over it that makes it show. Anything visible means I return it.
There is a HUGE difference between 1920x1200 and 2560x1440. And for 36% of the price of one here, I will gladly give up one or two pixels out of 3.7mil.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

if I dont see it I can use it for ever, if I see it, it will drive me nutz in days. sadly for me that means a retialer like bestbuy at top price so i can return it if I need to.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Dholby5150
Overclocker

Quote:
if I dont see it I can use it for ever, if I see it, it will drive me nutz in days. sadly for me that means a retialer like bestbuy at top price so i can return it if I need to.
OCD much :what:
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

pretty much. That and if I am paying hundreds of dollars for something I want it to be perfect. As it sits now, I get nervous every time there is a spot on my screen even if it turns out to be a spot of something that splashed off my soda. that spot you noticed I would pull my hair out... lol. I am OCD about a few things, dead pixels is one of them.
United States  Offline
Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

just found some of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...e=STRK:MESE:IT

looks like some companies are now offering "perfect pixel" for a small premium. For me to get gauranteed no dead pixels and still come in under $400 on that monitor.... its pretty much a no brainer. I may need to upgrade soon....
United States  Offline
Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Cecil
Fix The Internet

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...&postcount=132
United States  Offline
Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
Davik
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

So I'm on the verge of buying one of these but I was hoping you guys could clear up a few things that I haven't seen answers for elsewhere. If I've missed them, then feel free to tell me to get lost and go look for them.

I understand that these have no inbuilt scaling or anything, so what happens if you hook it up with a lower resolution? Does it not display, or is it simply bordered by black space?

Is there any way to run games, for example, at a lower resolution than native? Is it possible for a graphics card to render at a lower resolution but scale it up to 2560 x 1440?

I have a reasonable system but I don't think it would handle 2560 x 1440 at decent settings. My previous monitor handled fairly nicely when scaling up when I had an older graphics card, and I was wondering if there was any way to achieve something similar on this.

Cheers guys,
Joe
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

See attached picture. nVidia has the same features in their drivers.

No scalers means that if you somehow attach a device to the monitor at lower resolution that doesn't support scaling, there won't be scaling at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	163428  
Canada  Offline
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Stridulent
Learning To Overclock

Thinking about getting one of these for gaming and 3D graphic design. How have your experiences been with the monitor and the seller? I really would want it to be dead/stuck pixel free, so I would probably get one of the Pixel Perfect ebay versions. Has anyone bought a pixel perfect one? Which seller? Was it actually pixel perfect?
United States  Offline
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
Dholby5150
Overclocker

Monitor is still great 0 issues.
United States  Offline
Old 11-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Stridulent
Learning To Overclock

Is it in the 2560x1440 resolution in your pictures in the original post? The fonts and windows bar look much bigger than I would've thought they would be at that resolution.
United States  Offline
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
Dholby5150
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridulent View Post
Is it in the 2560x1440 resolution in your pictures in the original post? The fonts and windows bar look much bigger than I would've thought they would be at that resolution.
I enlarge everything cause im old and blind.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply