EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Thermal Electric Cooling - (TECs / Peltiers)
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
kleinteich2
SWAT^^AMD

Anyone Use TEC's Anymore??

Is there any people out there anymore that use them? there are so many other easier and cheaper solutions to cool a Processor now days..
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
mindchill
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinteich2 View Post
Is there any people out there anymore that use them? there are so many other easier and cheaper solutions to cool a Processor now days..
Yep, On both cpu and gpu.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	161830  
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

Is that an ITX with TECs and water? And you forgot to clamp those hoses on the bottom.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
mindchill
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahova View Post
Is that an ITX with TECs and water? And you forgot to clamp those hoses on the bottom.
It is an z68 Itx board running a 2500k @ 4.2ghz under a watercooled tec and a 6850 oc'd under a watercooled tec.

I took the pic before I buttoned up the watercooling and they are clamped atm.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
SCOLANATOR
Kooler King

What sort of clocks are you getting with those on your 6850? Also nice oc on your i7 but I've seen that achieved quite easily on a good air setup, let alone liquid.
~scol
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
mindchill
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOLANATOR View Post
What sort of clocks are you getting with those on your 6850? Also nice oc on your i7 but I've seen that achieved quite easily on a good air setup, let alone liquid.
~scol
Sorry my intention is just to keep the blocks at a certain temp and in this case I hold them at 18c even in the summer when room temps run up into the high 20's.

lol @ 4.2ghz .. itx boards don't have the vrms for high clocks anyway.

The point isn't to bench the thing, its a 24/7 gaming rig that has some very nice temps

Below the gpu with the tec set at 18c

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpusmall.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	161929  
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
SCOLANATOR
Kooler King

I see but ITX, is there really a need the thing is tiny! Nice temps and 18*C? Won't that cause problems with condensation or have you got that covered? Would you recommend TEC's? I looked at these a while back i.e. sandwiching one between my water block and CPU :P.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
mindchill
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Nice temps and 18*C? Won't that cause problems with condensation or have you got that covered?
No condensation. I use a controller (well 2 in this case) that monitor dew point and will raise the temps if needed.

Quote:
I see but ITX, is there really a need the thing is tiny!
I guess its personal preference. I like my temps a little cooler than most I suppose.

Quote:
Would you recommend TEC's? I looked at these a while back i.e. sandwiching one between my water block and CPU
I only recommend doing this on a cpu thats total tdp is under 150w (ie the sandy bridge oc'd under about 4.6ghz). Then only expect about 10-15c below water temps under 100% cpu load.

Again its just a personal preference, but for the price of a silver waterblock I can have one that can actually go below ambient.
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
SlaveOnDope
Men=stupidWomen=crazy

Very nice mindchill too bad about that bow in the 6850 just need 5mm more space it looks.
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

I think a daily ITX gaming rig is a great idea. If you can water cool it or better, it's an awesome build.
United States  Offline
Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
mindchill
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahova View Post
I think a daily ITX gaming rig is a great idea. If you can water cool it or better, it's an awesome build.
thanks,

I personally love looking down and seeing my cpu temps below ambient while gaming.. it just makes me
United States  Offline
Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
zila1
Overclocker

I like it. That's a very nice rig.
United States  Offline
Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
ythe1300
you may never know

Quote:
I see but ITX, is there really a need the thing is tiny! Nice temps and 18*C? Won't that cause problems with condensation or have you got that covered? Would you recommend TEC's? I looked at these a while back i.e. sandwiching one between my water block and CPU :P.
Easy to move for LAN parties

I had an miniITX rig for a while when I was going to a LAN party every week..... thing was crazy loud but my system was water cooled and supper heavy back then. was almost 80LB and the little ITX beast was only about 13LB made a big difference to my back.
United States  Offline
Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
michaelrw10
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I'm in FL with high humidity so I'm concerned about condensation if using peltier... Anyone running one in FL? (not to high jack)
United States  Offline
Old 03-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindchill View Post
No condensation. I use a controller (well 2 in this case) that monitor dew point and will raise the temps if needed.

I guess its personal preference. I like my temps a little cooler than most I suppose.

I only recommend doing this on a cpu thats total tdp is under 150w (ie the sandy bridge oc'd under about 4.6ghz). Then only expect about 10-15c below water temps under 100% cpu load.

Again its just a personal preference, but for the price of a silver waterblock I can have one that can actually go below ambient.
What model tec's and what controller if you don't mind me asking, and how are you powering them? Nice little setup you got going there.
United States  Offline
Old 03-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Urbanfox
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
What model tec's and what controller if you don't mind me asking, and how are you powering them? Nice little setup you got going there.
+1, curious as well.
United States  Online
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
biglipzit
Ban Count: 6

I run TEC's also. Using a coolit boreas water chiller with the coolit mtec controller. AMD Phenom II 965BE clocked at 4.5ghz. Target coolant temp set to 25 degrees to ward off condensation and cpu idles at 27 on idle and 42 full load when the TECs ramp up to 100%. Just took that system apart and building i7 now. Tec's can work well if used properly.

Additional Comment:

And he is using the system from arqtik. http://www.arqtik.com/index.html

Well for the CPU anyway. Not sure if their block mounts to gpu also...

Last edited by biglipzit : 03-21-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
iSeven
Power to Compel You

Obviously you can stack the cheap peltiers they sell on ebay for like $5-20 depending on wattage, or my hole question really is: Can you stack those coolers of such low pricing? Cold side on Cpu, hot on another cold (in a parallel stacking--just two coolers), then the final hot side would have a small water block. I have a PC in the upsairs loft that get's hot in summer, it's like 125F up there, would you recommend stacking like two of the 40W ones then with a good air or water block on top? I'd mount the cooling where it's around 75F. I know it won't condense water around the MB because most of that heat energy is sucked away but it's still hot enough to surpass the dew point if I leave the CPU @ 100% and working, as I only want to shoot for a -15C improvement; and waterflow pulls it fast. But anything...say I was to place two as I describe on an i7 2600, would you guys recommend stacking them? (I'm referring to the small TC coolers you see all over ebay; white, thin and are 1/8 inch +/- 1/16". White silicone sealant sandwiched between what seems like a hard polymer or ceramic square top and bottom thermal contact plates.)

Or do these things crap out?

Last edited by iSeven : 05-29-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply