EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Memory
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Astaldoath
Sith Lord

Overclocking a 2500k with 16 gb of ram vs 8

Would there be big difference in clock speeds I could get if i got say 2 2x4 gb sets of the same ram?

Im considering 16gb for things like the skyrim toolset and other toolsets that take 2-4 gb up themselves.

also if the mobo supports 2133 would that be better or standard 1600 for ocing

Last edited by Astaldoath : 03-23-2012 at 12:16 AM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's easier to oc with 2 ram sticks. Just buy an 8 gig set (2x4). The egg has plenty that are inexpensive. Make sure you get a set rated at 1.5 v. Unless you're benching, 1600 is fine.
United States  mimart7 Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

On 155, because you're basically stuck OCing using the multi, it doesnt stress the IMC enough at higher overclocks to make your RAM unstable when using 4 sticks. IMO it wont hurt a OC so long as you dont start pushing the RAM hardcore.
Canada  Offline
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Astaldoath
Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
On 155, because you're basically stuck OCing using the multi, it doesnt stress the IMC enough at higher overclocks to make your RAM unstable when using 4 sticks. IMO it wont hurt a OC so long as you dont start pushing the RAM hardcore.
ok thats what i wanted to know
United States  Offline
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Take a look at my rig. Haven't even pushed it at all.
United States  Offline
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Urbanfox
Rad Thibodeaux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaldoath View Post
Would there be big difference in clock speeds I could get if i got say 2 2x4 gb sets of the same ram?

Im considering 16gb for things like the skyrim toolset and other toolsets that take 2-4 gb up themselves.

also if the mobo supports 2133 would that be better or standard 1600 for ocing
16GB shouldn't affect your CPU OC'ing, but it will affect your memory OC'ing. Since Sandy Bridge isn't bandwidth starved, I wouldn't worry about pushing memory that much anyway for everyday use.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply