EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > General Video Card Discussion
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Doctor
Victory is MINE!

Diablo3 game requirements and system build

Hello all,

I am coming out of gamer-retirement next month for Diablo3 and can't wait! With that being said, I would like to upgrade the video card and memory on a cheap machine I purchased a while ago. I scored a free WD raptor HD which I'll use and maybe down the road I might get a small SSD if needed.

Here are the recommend game requirements:

Windows® Vista/7 (latest service packs)
Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better

I would preferably like to exceed them with a $100ish budget if not less.

I will use a hdmi/dvi 22in widescreen display.

I have windows 7 64bit. I can downgrade to 32bit if needed. The motherboard has four memory slots. The max the machine can hold is 8gb so I would like to max it out. I can run two 4gb sticks while achieving dual channel bandwidth? or do I need four 2gb sticks? I have noticed on newegg, two 4gb sticks are significantly cheaper.

What are everyone's thoughts on a video card? I have been out of the game for a while. FYI, it looks like I have a v1 PCI x16 slot but from what I've found on this site, PCI x16 versions are backwards compatible to a certain extent.

I am currently looking at an AMD Radeon HD 6570,

any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated!

thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpu-z.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	163014  Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	163015  
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
The motherboard has four memory slots. The max the machine can hold is 8gb so I would like to max it out. I can run two 4gb sticks while achieving dual channel bandwidth? or do I need four 2gb sticks? I have noticed on newegg, two 4gb sticks are significantly cheaper.
Yes, you can do dual channel with a 2x4 gig kit.
United States  Offline
Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Doctor
Victory is MINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
Yes, you can do dual channel with a 2x4 gig kit.
okay. awesome! that takes care of the memory part. now thoughts on the video card?!
United States  Offline
Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
jmknsd
Caffeine Overclocker

the 6000 series is basically a rebranded 5000 series, so that has 480 cores, and the 4870 has 800 cores; 1200 vs 624 Gflops. You would want to jump up to at least a 6770, or maybe a 7750 or 7770, depending on how much they come down in price.
United States  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Doctor
Victory is MINE!

just ordered this for $55: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/422...ew/index2.html

Thanks for the help everyone! Hopefully my stock PSU can handle it!
United States  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
just ordered this for $55: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/422...ew/index2.html

Thanks for the help everyone! Hopefully my stock PSU can handle it!
The 6670 is a decent card for basic gaming. It handles Sims 3 and Aion fine on my HTPC at 1440x900 at ~medium settings.

It is also a low-power card, since it needs no external connectors its maximum draw capacity is of 75W, so it most likely use less than that.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Doctor
Victory is MINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
The 6670 is a decent card for basic gaming. It handles Sims 3 and Aion fine on my HTPC at 1440x900 at ~medium settings.

It is also a low-power card, since it needs no external connectors its maximum draw capacity is of 75W, so it most likely use less than that.
sweet. thanks for the info! now all I need is some memory. if I use all four memory slots can I still achieve dual memory bandwidth through the motherboard?

I need to find some cheap memory...4 sticks of 2gb would be sweet!
United States  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
sweet. thanks for the info! now all I need is some memory. if I use all four memory slots can I still achieve dual memory bandwidth through the motherboard?

I need to find some cheap memory...4 sticks of 2gb would be sweet!
Yes, 4 sticks will still use dual channel.

What are you lookign for? DDR2 or DDR3?
Canada  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Doctor
Victory is MINE!

Quote:
Yes, 4 sticks will still use dual channel.

What are you lookign for? DDR2 or DDR3?
ddr2 800mhz
United States  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

A little more expensive then. Any reason for 8GB other than futureproofing? You wont see any performance increase over 4GB on these DDR2 platforms anyway, and by the time you will need more than 4GB, you will most likely also need a CPU upgrade anyway.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
A little more expensive then. Any reason for 8GB other than futureproofing? You wont see any performance increase over 4GB on these DDR2 platforms anyway, and by the time you will need more than 4GB, you will most likely also need a CPU upgrade anyway.
That's not true at all. I had 8gb's in my system and had to pull half of it out because it went bad. I definitely notice a difference in performance. So saying they won't notice the jump from 4gb to 8gb just isn't accurate.

Now 4gb is certainly functional, and the jump from 2gb to 4gb is also certainly more noticeable. But I can assure you that getting more than 4gb's is definitely a plus. Now, would you notice the diff between 6gb and 8gb, I couldn't say for sure on that one, but from 4 to 8 is clearly noticeable for me anyways.
United States  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Doctor
Victory is MINE!

well...I'll start out with 4gb at 2x2gb and see how diablo3 handles it...from there I may add in another 2x2gb set. 2x4gb is too expensive for how old ddr2 technology.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply