EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives & Flash Media
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
ReikokuKo
Learning To Overclock

Changing RAID controllers

I have an onboard RAID controller on my mobo and I may have just rendered the mobo useless (see my other thread). Is there anything special I need to know about setting up my array on a new mobo with an onboard RAID controller? Will I lose my data?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

If the new board doesn't use the same controller, yes you'll lose the data.
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
If the new board doesn't use the same controller, yes you'll lose the data.
+1 which is why its often recommended to do a pci-e controller instead. That way if the card fails you can purchase another card of the same type much easier than another mother board, or migrate the card and drives to a new system should anything fail. Not to mention they often have better transfer rates and small battery backups for data caches should power go out.
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
ReikokuKo
Learning To Overclock

Oh no.......is there anything I can do? I may have broke my mobo (CPU socket, not yet conclusive) and I cannot boot it anymore. Is there anything I can do about my data? It is a RAID 10, would I be able to split a mirror and get that data?
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
PommieB
Overclocker

You could buy the same motherboard if it's still available or as Mr Scott say's, one with the same raid controller. As a matter of interest, how did you damage the motherboard.
Australia  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
DrGuns4Hands
Come on Piledriver

Here's his thread about the Mobo http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=362556
United States  DrGuns4Hands Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
ReikokuKo
Learning To Overclock

Lol, he knows my story >_> Still haven't been able to do any work to it. What are the usual return policies on mobos? Could I buy the same one, get my data and return it?

Or how can I tell the model of the RAID controller? Is it possible that another mobo uses the same controller?
United States  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
Is it possible that another mobo uses the same controller?
Most definitely. If you were using the SATA 3 ports, it's a Marvell controller (88SE9128 for ports 1 and 2, 88SE9120 for ports 3 and 4). Those are the white ports. If you weren't, it's the standard Intel Matrix Storage controller (P55 chipset) for the blue ports.

Last edited by Mr.Scott : 04-15-2012 at 06:31 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
ReikokuKo
Learning To Overclock

Alrighty then, I was using the Sata_2 ports (3gb/s) and it was a RAID 0+1 so I was using 4 of the six ports available on that mobo. I don't exactly remember the colors of the ports and I don't remember them to be blue, but its funny how you don't remember those details now that you can't take a second look at it (see my other thread for an explanation). But bringing it up on the web (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157206) I guess they were blue.

I don't see in the details anywhere mentioning the RAID controller in use, can you direct me to where I can find out which mobos use which RAID controllers? I guess I was using the standard Intel Matrix Controller, is this standard across most SATA_2 ports?
United States  Offline
Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #10
bravotsx
Space Monkey

if you were just doing matrix raid then it's software based so you can get the data by just running it on another board with the same chipset
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
ReikokuKo
Learning To Overclock

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but even though the array is on an onboard controller and set by the BIOS, it is still considered a software RAID? Its using CPU time to manage it?
United States  Offline
Old 04-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikokuKo View Post
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but even though the array is on an onboard controller and set by the BIOS, it is still considered a software RAID? Its using CPU time to manage it?
It is viewed as software raid and technically is by some OS's (namely VMware) and hardware raid by others (Microsoft), it uses the north/southbridge to manage it I believe though.

Last edited by Spartacus : 04-16-2012 at 03:30 PM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply