EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > nVidia
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
k |{z
Extreme Overclocker

EVGA GTX680 FTW (4gb memory)

Anyone have any idea when these will be in stock? I'm willing to wait and pay an extra $50 to get double the memory. I haven't seen any of the 4gb cards online yet so I was curious if anyone has heard of a date/time.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
jaykar
Extreme Overclocker

[quote=k |{z;4009266]Anyone have any idea when these will be in stock? I'm willing to wait and pay an extra $50 to get double the memory. I haven't seen any of the 4gb cards online yet so I was curious if anyone has heard of a date/time.[/quot

Waiting also,
The supposed 680 4 Gig Classified are still a month or more out.
From what I see thier only sporting a 256 bit bus just like the 2 gig cards.
Speculation

(Not) what I was hoping for, Against the 7970 356 bit card.
Wouldn't surprize me to see pushing 600 bucks on them though.

If thats the case will take the 7970 and not look back.

Later
United States  Offline
Old 04-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

I have heard the 4GB models will be releasing by the end of this month, and others saying it will be several months. Unfortunately nothing concrete so it's hard to say for sure. They are planning on releasing some additional versions as I understand by the end of the month, but I cannot say for sure that the 4GB will be among them (though we can hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykar View Post
The supposed 680 4 Gig Classified are still a month or more out.
From what I see thier only sporting a 256 bit bus just like the 2 gig cards.
Speculation

(Not) what I was hoping for, Against the 7970 356 bit card.
Wouldn't surprize me to see pushing 600 bucks on them though.

If thats the case will take the 7970 and not look back.
I can also confirm the only information I have seen on them indicates the same stats on the card other than the increased memory. While the 7970 may look better on paper, several reviews have already shown that even in a triple monitor configuration that the 680 2gb still wins the battle.
United States  Offline
Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
jaykar
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage67 View Post
I have heard the 4GB models will be releasing by the end of this month, and others saying it will be several months. Unfortunately nothing concrete so it's hard to say for sure. They are planning on releasing some additional versions as I understand by the end of the month, but I cannot say for sure that the 4GB will be among them (though we can hope).

I can also confirm the only information I have seen on them indicates the same stats on the card other than the increased memory. While the 7970 may look better on paper, several reviews have already shown that even in a triple monitor configuration that the 680 2gb still wins the battle.
Agree,

But since only upgrade card or cards every two or three gens like having the extra ram and increased bus, (Just in Case).

And my time is here

Later

Last edited by jaykar : 04-13-2012 at 04:29 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
skrilla316
Extreme Overclocker

This guy (titled EVGA Product Manager) said, "Should be about a month or so." on March 29th.

Also
This site says they will have Superclocked cards in 5/5, though they did list having a shipment coming in 4/17, perhaps pushed back? I keep checking and noone seems to have stock- Even Ebay lol (only 4 listed).

The chart I saw had the memory bandwidth still at 192gb/s for the 4GB model. I'm not keen on all that jargon though, I just like real world performance numbers.
United States  Offline
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Dil-tech
EA Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykar View Post
Agree,

But since only upgrade card or cards every two or three gens like having the extra ram and increased bus, (Just in Case).

And my time is here

Later
Different designs requirements for bandwidth vary. The GTX 680 at stock has roughly the same bandwidth as the GTX 580 even with its smaller 256bit memory bus, and in all honesty that is plenty of bandwidth considering its a much more efficient design. Similar to how the 9800GTX beat the 8800GTX a majority of the time even though the 9800GTX had a lot less bandwidth.

We've seen countless cases where a piece of hardware with less bandwidth could over-take it's opposition.
United States  Offline
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
skrilla316
Extreme Overclocker

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-181-EA
4/27 (Europe)
about $790 pre VAT,

EVGA regular is about $630 pre VAT on the same site.

This one
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=2255
is 4/18
About $726

Last edited by skrilla316 : 04-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Krystm
Liquid Overclocker

Jacob from eVGA is saying May. But who knows. If they are much more then $650 I may hold off a while. +150 for 2 more gb and different board... I dunno the FTWs are typically only $100 more if I remember right but eVGA and nVidia are really taking advantage of current competition and price "gouging" as it has been called.

I look at it as it's Fastest card on the market, runs cooler and will handle anything I throw at it. Upgrading from dual 470s... worth it.

The OTHER problem is if you "Wait" to buy them you will be "Waiting" even longer since it will sell out **** FAST and of course will be minimal stock.
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
jaykar
Extreme Overclocker

What worries me with cards like the supposed Classified is when it
comes time to CF or SLI to keep up, Are they going to be around to do it.

Or pay premium to find one.

Later
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

You all make it sound like this has never happened before.
It happens every time something new is released.
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
jaykar
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
You all make it sound like this has never happened before.
It happens every time something new is released.
Hey,

At my age can't remember back that far

Later
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystm View Post
Jacob from eVGA is saying May. But who knows. If they are much more then $650 I may hold off a while. +150 for 2 more gb and different board... I dunno the FTWs are typically only $100 more if I remember right but eVGA and nVidia are really taking advantage of current competition and price "gouging" as it has been called.

I look at it as it's Fastest card on the market, runs cooler and will handle anything I throw at it. Upgrading from dual 470s... worth it.

The OTHER problem is if you "Wait" to buy them you will be "Waiting" even longer since it will sell out **** FAST and of course will be minimal stock.
For me the $150 premium isn't about the 2gb's, it's about the performance increase that the extra 2gb's gives. Are the extra 2gb's worth the price, it totally depends on what kind of use the card can make out of them. I could care less if the card has 12gb's of ram if it doesn't increase performance in the areas I am interested in. In the same token I don't care if it only uses 1gb as long as that isn't the limiting factor.

So the real question is... how much of a difference will adding the 2gb's of ram make? If it makes a significant difference then it'll be worth the cost, but if you can't tell the difference then it's a waste of money.
United States  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
skrilla316
Extreme Overclocker

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18389933
United States  Offline
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Current version is more than enough for my folding needs.
United States  mimart7 Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
k |{z
Extreme Overclocker

I run 3x 1080p led monitor nvidia 2d surround. i've had issues with running out of vram so i'm wanting the 4gb model(s) to ensure I won't have that problem again. (assuming the price difference isn't too stupid)
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #16
makaveli-313
[b]CAPS[/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by k |{z View Post
Anyone have any idea when these will be in stock? I'm willing to wait and pay an extra $50 to get double the memory. I haven't seen any of the 4gb cards online yet so I was curious if anyone has heard of a date/time.
I have a question, At what resolution is this kind of memory* used fully ? If one runs only a single monitor.
Thanks..

Last edited by makaveli-313 : 04-18-2012 at 12:56 AM.
India  Offline
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli-313 View Post
I have a question, At what resolution is this kind of resolution used fully ? If one runs only a single monitor.
Thanks..
If you are only running a single monitor then the memory won't be an issue for you. Even at 2560x1600 you still won't really be hitting the 2gb mark in most cases. Where most people are running into a problem is with the triple monitor setups where they are regularly using more than 2gb's.
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
k |{z
Extreme Overclocker

yup. i have two 570's, so that just a hair over 2gb of vram and in games like crysis 2 with everything cranked, the vram fills up and the system comes to a screeching halt.

hopefully two gtx680 4gb ftw editions in sli will give me some headroom for a year.
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
Dil-tech
EA Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by k |{z View Post
yup. i have two 570's, so that just a hair over 2gb of vram and in games like crysis 2 with everything cranked, the vram fills up and the system comes to a screeching halt.

hopefully two gtx680 4gb ftw editions in sli will give me some headroom for a year.
You don't count the ram as doubling with sli since both cards have to store the same information in their memory.
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
k |{z
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dil-tech View Post
You don't count the ram as doubling with sli since both cards have to store the same information in their memory.
well then the 4gb card will be that much better lol
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply