EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Project / Build Logs
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #41
spotswood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGuns4Hands View Post
This is looking amazing I wish I had those kind of skills. Out of curiosity I have to ask though, the guy your building this for isn't in much of a hurry is he? Kind of surprised anyone could wait a whole year for a case for their build.
He's extremely busy, I'm extremely busy and life has a way of getting in the way of our plans sometimes (like injuries from an automobile accident). But that said, I'm lucky and very great-full that's he's been so patient.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #42
conley_jb
Modder Fracker

Great work again, by the way.

Just curious... when you do your framing. What do you use to cut the aluminum bar peices that you cap you C-channel with? I am working with some 1/2" x 1" pcs myself and am experimenting with finding the best cutting method to get square, accurate cuts. After trying to find a small chop saw, or cut-off tool locally (which I couldn't find), I finally ordered a non-ferrous circular saw blade for my 7 1/4 miter saw, but I have no clue if that will work.
United States  Offline
Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #43
spotswood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by conley_jb View Post
Great work again, by the way.

Just curious... when you do your framing. What do you use to cut the aluminum bar peices that you cap you C-channel with? I am working with some 1/2" x 1" pcs myself and am experimenting with finding the best cutting method to get square, accurate cuts. After trying to find a small chop saw, or cut-off tool locally (which I couldn't find), I finally ordered a non-ferrous circular saw blade for my 7 1/4 miter saw, but I have no clue if that will work.
I cut all of the aluminum stock using a 10-year old Craftsmen miter/chop saw fitted with a plain-old (cheap) carbide saw blade from Home Depot or Lowe's. The only "trick" is to always clamp the stock to the fence and cut in one continuous motion, keeping a steady saw RPM.

Good luck!
United States  Offline
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #44
conley_jb
Modder Fracker

What blade did you get at HD/ Lowes. My store is significantly smaller than most, but was at each and neither sold a cheap metal saw blade that wasn't a cut-off wheel, which I heard can gum up due to alum being so soft.

It may have been I just caught the idiot associate who had no clue. I did find a $10 Dewalt blade on HD online and ordered it though last night though. Sounds like this is the best way to go... thanks
United States  Offline
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #45
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

subbed, may take a while but I want to see it.
United States  Offline
Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #46
spotswood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I made a mistake, placing the false back too far into the case, which required having to re-fabricate the back sheet. But I figured I could take advantage of the situation by improving the mounting of the motherboard tray, by fastening the tray to the false back with a 7/8-inch long spacer.

I don't remember if I already offered this tip before, but I try to reduce the wear and tear on my 1/2-inch flush cutting router bit by first rough cutting with a 3/16-inch spiral downward cutting bit.

Additional Comment:

A PSU mounting plate was routed out of a piece .10-inch thick aluminum sheet with the help of a custom template.

In order to accurately transfer the locations of the PSU mounting holes, threaded hole transfer punches (mcmaster.com part # 3385A31) were threaded into a PSU.

And then the PSU was carefully centered and pressed into the sheeting, with the end result being a perfect squarely mounted PSU.

Last edited by spotswood : 05-27-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #47
Jonny 1i
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Love the quality of this work
Sub'd
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #48
spotswood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Another router template was made to cutout the areas for the PSUs out of the back sheet. A guide was clamped to the bottom of the template to keep the cutouts perfectly aligned along the bottom.

United States  Offline
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #49
conley_jb
Modder Fracker

ouch, those threaded hole punches are $13 ea.... great idea and I guess if you follow the addage of doing it right the first time and no expense spared they are great, but I think I will find a more DIY solution for transfering the holes.

Keep up the good work. I am nearing the start point on my case which thanks to your work and others has inspired me in more ways than one.

Last edited by conley_jb : 07-09-2012 at 09:03 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
Witchdoctor
"Think"

This is epic,

That is some nice workmanship
United States  Offline
Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #51
spotswood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Turned out that I needed to cut one more slot out of the bottom shelf. But the last time I used my wooden "small slot" router template, I somehow managed to crush one edge, so I quickly cobbled together a new out of some left over t-slot extrusion. I'm really loving using these t-slot extrusions to make router templates - fast and accurate!

Here's a teeth-shattering video of me cutting out the slot.

United States  Offline
Old 08-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #52
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
Turned out that I needed to cut one more slot out of the bottom shelf. But the last time I used my wooden "small slot" router template, I somehow managed to crush one edge, so I quickly cobbled together a new out of some left over t-slot extrusion. I'm really loving using these t-slot extrusions to make router templates - fast and accurate!

Here's a teeth-shattering video of me cutting out the slot.

Nice work. Aluminum is a very fine metal to work with. Routers are always so loud. You need a bit of ear protection.
United States  Offline
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #53
spotswood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Performed the mind-numbing task of fastening the bottom and top sheets to the case frame via flat head socket cap screws. Through and countersink holes were drilled into the sheet and transferred to the case frame via a self-centering counterbore drill bit.

Bottom sheet all fastened:

And top sheet all drilled out:

United States  Offline
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #54
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

Show 'em the overall and how you counter-sunk the screws!
United States  Offline
Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #55
spotswood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Drilled out the holes for the vandal resistant switches and fastened the front sheeting to the case.

Additional Comment:

Finished the lower portion of the back sheet, which involved installing the PEM nuts, trimming the PSU mounting plates to the final size and creating an extra solid cover plate (which I almost forgot to do).

Last edited by spotswood : 11-20-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #56
UrbanSmooth
Triple Monitor Gamer

Well, it's about time that you updated this project! Keep going! KEEEEEP GOOOING!
United States  Offline
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #57
spotswood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

In order to ensure that the flat head bolts in the top sheet would sit perfectly straight and flush, I drilled slightly over-size through holes in the top u-channel so a hex nut could go onto the ends of the bolts. But those nuts were now in the way of the sliding bar used to latch the side panels. A fix for that was to mill-out those areas from underneath the sliding bar (via my handheld router).

The mill marks were quickly removed with some hand filing.

To prevent the sliding bar from falling out of the u-channel, some small pieces of aluminum angle were cut and attached to the channel.

But now the angles interfered with the latching hooks on the side panel, so those areas also had to be milled away (via a center-cutting mill on the drill press).

Finally, one leg of the angle that was used to make the latching hooks was visible through the side panel perforated aluminum, so that too required having to remove around 1/4-inch of material (via my trusty router).

United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply