EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Miscellaneous Peripherals
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
WiCKeD
Hunting jobs...
Senior Moderator

Phone Manufacturers & Carriers reneg on Android updates

Lame. Looks like Sony and possibly HTC are the only manufacturers you can trust for Android updates, due to the useless bloatware companies feel obligated to add. Official updates, anyway...
Quote:
At the Google I/O conference in May, many Android phone vendors and U.S. wireless carriers made a long-awaited promise: From then on, any new Android phone would receive timely OS updates for at least 18 months following launch, as part of the then newly christened Google Update Alliance.

The back story: If you own an Android phone, you may have watched with frustration as a new version of the OS hit the market. It's almost never clear if your phone will ever get that upgrade—unlike with iOS or Windows Phones, which always get all upgrades (providing they meet the right hardware requirements). With Android, it seems to depend on the phone vendor, the specific model, the wireless carrier, the Android version itself, and whether Google sent the carrier an inflatable plastic food product as a token of its appreciation that week. Worse—and much to our chagrin—sometimes vendors make promises to customers before the sale that they don't keep once you own the phone.

Many factors contribute to this. But custom versions of Android are the key culprit, either thanks to vendor-specific enhancements (like HTC Sense, Motorola MotoBlur, and Samsung's TouchWiz, though LG, Pantech, Casio, and other vendors do it too), or carrier-specific enhancements of a more dubious nature (such as unnecessary preloaded bloatware and changes to default apps). These changes require many programming hours not just to make in the first place, but to also support and upgrade down the road—resources the carrier would rather throw at making new phones to sell you.

So the Google Update Alliance was a breath of fresh air. It sounded like everyone would finally come together, streamline their OS update timelines, and stop jerking around their customers. The thing is, while the Google Update Alliance ended up being one of the biggest stories to come out of Google I/O, we've heard almost nothing about it since then. You can bet we weren't just going to forget about it and pretend it never happened—especially after the release of Google Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), which is a huge leap in UI design and overall performance.
Full Article @ PCMag
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

I'm not a fan of bloatware but I must admit that I really like sense UI.

I don't see the logic behind comparing Apple and Microsoft to Google. ios and WP7 are on a handful of modern phones while Android is on hundreds. There is no reason to pretend that they comparable.
United States  Offline
Old 12-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Deluded
ya rly

They had to form an alliance to ensure consistent updates?

"Google Update Alliance"? Seriously?
United States  Offline
Old 12-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
WiCKeD
Hunting jobs...
Senior Moderator

Getting all manufacturers to agree on updates was necessary to ensure they all spent similar resources supporting their old phones. Unfortunately, it looks like it never happened and was just political marketing.

In other news, my SGSII will get an official Ice Cream Sandwich update at the beginning of next year.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Vengeance
ಠ__ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCKeD View Post
In other news, my SGSII will get an official Ice Cream Sandwich update at the beginning of next year.
Can't wait.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
benniebeeker
Chkn-N-Rice

slightly off topic, but for those of you with rooted devices, there are a handfull of custom ics roms out there that are stable as can be... im running aokp milestone 3 with the air kernel... solid as can be...
United States  Offline
Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
johnerz
Just getting Old

I run CoreDroid ICS on my Sensation - it smooth as a prom...........

Sorry drifted a bit there its fast smooth and very stable, I run GB on my old HTC HD2 also CoreDroid, thats still a great phone
England  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply