EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives & Flash Media
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
aaron86
Learning To Overclock

Thinking of up grading my ssd

So I have a ocz vertex 2 60 gb thinking of going to the crucial m4 c400 128gb with data transfer kit just wondering if the kit will clone my current ssd c drive also are their any other thoughts
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Odanez
I am Jean Luc Bacardi

Solid choice, and while the transfer kit will do what you need, you can also do it yourself with third party software.
Germany  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Tomek
Just Monkeying Around

Which software would you recommend which isn't partial to partition size?

Thanks, Tomek
Canada  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Odanez
I am Jean Luc Bacardi

I cannot recommend from personal experience since I have not done this myself yet (so far only fresh installs) but Clonezilla should work, and the non free software like Acronis is really good - apart from those some others might be able to chip in to say what free software they have successfully used to clone a SSD with alignment and different partition sizes in mind.
Germany  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
aaron86
Learning To Overclock

Well if it will clone my c drive to another c and I can just swap the drives then it sounds like im good to go not worried about a fresh install my current install is perfect and my os mods an themes wont need to be redone that sounds perfect to me any other thoughts on the m4
Canada  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Almost Tactf
DT770 Pushed By PA2v2

Why not just do a fresh install? I do one every 3-6 months for the hell of it, with a 60GB drive you can't have that much stuff on it, it would prolly be quicker than doing a backup and getting it to run at peak performance.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
aaron86
Learning To Overclock

My current install is in perfect order and still very quick I just need more space I want to put a few games on the ssd and can't do it with the 60 gb

Additional Comment:

Alright so I'm leaving in half an hour to go to Canada computers so if anyone has any last thoughts speak now or forever hold your peace

Last edited by aaron86 : 04-22-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Canada  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Tomek
Just Monkeying Around

Thanks OD / Sorry OP, did mean to veer this thread.

Using ghost, but that's more of a binary mirror (which is great in ways, but not always ideal).
Canada  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron86 View Post
My current install is in perfect order and still very quick I just need more space I want to put a few games on the ssd and can't do it with the 60 gb

Additional Comment:

Alright so I'm leaving in half an hour to go to Canada computers so if anyone has any last thoughts speak now or forever hold your peace
I have been using Clonezilla at work for our Lenovo X220's with Intel 160gb 320 series SSD with no issues so far, its a bit confusing at first with all the options but, once you go through it once or twice its pretty easy.
I have also used it to image user drives to and from a Samsung 128GB 470 Series.
They stay in alignment and hold their speed upon imaging with it, as long as its Windows 7 so you can expand the partition out it should work.
Fresh install is always going to be optimal but, not required.
+1 on the crucial M4 though its an excellent drive. Can't really go wrong with Intel, Samsung or Crucial in SSD choice in terms of reliability.
United States  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
aaron86
Learning To Overclock

done an done cloned and working perfectly time to moves some games i have to say it feels faster os wise

Additional Comment:

so im transfering swtor this thing is huge 38gb

Additional Comment:

its done and loading screens are minamal now

Last edited by aaron86 : 04-22-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Canada  Offline
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

yeah, I been trying to save space on my 120GB ssd but the load times in BF3 are so long on my mechanical, moving it over now to the SSD..... But now I think I need a bigger one, probably gonna end up going to a 256. Was looking at the one you got and the new Vertex 4. They look very prommising.
United States  Offline
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
TOMVILL
Mad Warranty Voider

If your looking for a new SSD check out canada computers They have had some good sales lately I just picked up a SanDisk Extreme 240GB for $269 plus tax A good deal imo and I,m very happy with it More then big enough for windows my programs and a few games.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
aaron86
Learning To Overclock

thats where i got mine 180 after tax love this thing way faster then my vertex 2 and the extra space is realy nice
Canada  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply