EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Tech News & Press Releases > Back Page News (Submit News Here)
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
WiCKeD
Hunting jobs...
Senior Moderator

Next-Gen Sequencing using CUDA delivers DNA results in 5 hours

Practical application of all of these GPU advances, now that Crysis has been whipped.
Tomorrow's personalized medicine health care tailored for each person will need a cheap, easy way to make sense of huge amounts of DNA sequences. Now the world's largest genomics institute has launched an online service that can crunch DNA sequencing data within hours for researchers or physicians around the world.

The "EasyGenomics" service offered by BGI China's huge genomics lab in Shenzhen uses graphics processing units (GPUs) made by U.S. tech company NVIDIA to make analysis of DNA sequencing far faster than ever. That GPU acceleration, combined with traditional computing power, reduces genomic analysis times from five days to just five hours.

"By enabling larger numbers of researchers to accelerate DNA sequencing data more easily and affordably, we hope to help facilitate the use of genomics for clinical diagnostics as a practical component of health care, as well as for complex disease research," said BGI vice president Lin Fang.

Researchers can sign up now for a limited free trial of the paid service, and BGI envisions making EasyGenomics available to everyone from biologists to physicians. The institute already does genomic sequencing for everything from the giant panda to the E. coli bacterium all part of an effort to make better medicines, improve health care and even create genetically enhanced foods.

Fast, cheap analysis of DNA sequencing is part of the dream for personalized medicine: Saving an ill patient's life by understanding the particular genetics of that patient's disease. Such an online service could allow a physician sitting in his or her office anywhere to send a patient's genomic data and get an analysis back within hours.

The costs of genome sequencing have steadily fallen in recent years, but a lot of computing power is still needed to analyze all those DNA sequences. BGI's computing solution comes from NVIDIA's GPUs, which focus upon running many tasks efficiently technology already used in three of the world's five most powerful supercomputers.

BGI's EasyGenomics will "get us that much closer to effective and affordable individualized treatments," said Sumit Gupta, a senior director at NVIDIA.

Online services for analyzing DNA had begun appearing even before the BGI announcement. Amazon Web Services offers supercomputing resources for researchers who want to run calculations on the world's largest database of human genetics U.S. National Institutes of Health data from the 1,000 Genomes Project.
Article @ LiveScience
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
CybrSlydr
Special Fish?

I won't do it just because it's a Chinese company.

US based/run, sure, I'd do it - but not for our largest economic rival who already gets so many of our jobs...
United States  Offline
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Hickeydog
terrible human being

I'd be worried about them cloning me.....

And yes, they do have the technology. Although I think prudy was looking for a Mini Me.
United States  Offline
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Sephiroth
LOL M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
I won't do it just because it's a Chinese company.

US based/run, sure, I'd do it - but not for our largest economic rival who already gets so many of our jobs...
If this chinese firm setups and becomes sucessful, they're going to need Nvidia based cards to expand, lots of them, and they're going to need them often to crank down turn around time.

Where's nvidia headquarters?
California.

Lets say they setup in the US though..

Where are nvidia cards made?
TSMC. Taiwan Semiconductor manufacturing corporation.

Besides, we're not talking about six digit job growth from a company like this. How many people does it take to run a server room? Less than a dozen?

It's about taxes, on which I can agree that they should be over here, because this place is going to probably charge deep into 4 digits to run DNA like this, all that we get from the deal is nivida sees a small sales increase when this place bulk-orders a few hundred GTX680s every once in a while.

Last edited by Sephiroth : 05-16-2012 at 06:03 AM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply