EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > nVidia
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
scarface-x
its world up there

Gainward GTX295

hi guys

I starting have a problem with my 295GTX, it's randomly strart to freeze during the game play of streaming some videos online, also sometime I get no bios screen the light on my GTC295 is green and when bios checking the cpu, ram, gpu then GPU get red light. Also I get randomly message in windows that monitor going to sleep mode,

the tempretures are about 95 celsius during the game play,

I was wonder if you should take it out and dismount the GPU and give it a good clean (change a termal paste, dust off ect.)
I am running the latest driver from nvidia
any suggestions?
Slovakia  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
BigE4u
Anonymous

95c is a wee bit high.... do take the HSF off, give it a good cleaning and use AS5/ASC for the GPU, the memory typically uses thermal pads, if not air cooled.

If it doesnt help your situation afterwards, the card may be on its way out... good o gainward, they use to sell in the US, but no longer.

I heard the latest driver was somewhat problematic for most people, try using older ones to see if it improves any, like me, im using a newer card than yours, but using an older driver(260.99) and it seems to be working good for me atm.
United States  Offline
Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
scarface-x
its world up there

hey
thank you for your suggestions, it actualy start to happening before I updated the driver, as you said I will give it a good clean, the teramal paste might be dry, I can see that my GPU works better on this new driver, more FPS ect.

I always had a Gaiwnard GPUs great make I think personaly, this GPU is more then 3 years old so it did good to me anyway

Tonight I will take it a part or tomorrow morrning I will take it with me to work.

about the termal paste I have used in past many times Titan Nano Grease, should be ok you think?
Slovakia  Offline
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
BigE4u
Anonymous

Im not familiar with that thermal grease, but as long as reviews put it on par with AS5 and other good paste currently available, go ahead and use it... anything is better than using the factory white gunk.
United States  Offline
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
scarface-x
its world up there

hey

got the GPU out of the PC toke it apart and clean it.

Fan and heatstink were full of dust, the heatsink was blocked, clean that and replaced the termal paste with the new one.

now the game play tempratures are about 79 celsius which is great, but I did tried furmark xtreme burrning test on 1680x1050, MSSA 16x and it got to the 99 celsius and it hold there slowly to got to the 99 and then it lock on that tempretures.

Still high I think, if I would try to run the test before I would possibly burn my GPU.
Slovakia  Offline
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
BigE4u
Anonymous

Still a tad bit high @ 79c for my taste, unless its normal for that card ... is the fan on the card spinning normally(freely)?

I've come across a few fans in the fast that not only was the heatsink clogged full of dust, the fan bearing and shaft was geting alittle worn, like spinning with some friction causeing it to spin slower than from when it was new.

In a atempt to try to service and save the fan, remove it from its housing, gently clean the fan blades off first, then the rest of the it, spray the rotor/electrical area with electronics cleaner if you have any. Next, remove the sticker from the backside(if it has one) to see if there is a removeable cap or plug to access the shaft for reoiling. If it doesnt have one, take a small tipped jewlers screwdriver and use it to drill a tiny hole in the center of the houseing, then take a small needle shaft pen oiler, insert the tip into the hole and inject a tiny amount of lube. Spin the fan by hand first to work the lube in to help loosen it up some, add more lube if need be but in small amounts only, once it feels like its spinning freely like new, use compressed air or similar and blow it through the fan blades gently for testing.

Once thats done and your satisfied the fan is working correctly again, clean the backside of the fan housing with isopropyl alcohol just incase you spilled some lube outside the shaft hole, dry it off then place or replace the sticker on the backside, now put the fan back into its houseing and you should be good to go.

Remember, this is a quick fix that will last you for awhile till the fan decides to try and sieze up on you if at all... if it happens more than once, the fan is just old and you'll have no choice but to replace it then, aftermarket is the way to go if you want to keep running your card.
United States  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
DarkFox
Semi-Pro Nerd

What did you use for paste and are you sure you used enough? GPUs, especialy if they have a clunky desighned heat pipe setup, need a lot more then you would generaly throw at a processor.
United States  Offline
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #8
scarface-x
its world up there

I used 3g of termal paste, I saw how much they put on GPU chip so I did use a plenty.

BigE4u I think I will leave it as it is toke it a part twice already, now it's doing the job I keep watching the temps still around 80C durring the gameplay, I think it's ok for this GPU the max temp is 105C.

thank you for you help
Slovakia  Offline
Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #9
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

BigE, dont forget this card is a dual GPU, hence when SLI kicks in, it's really 2 ~GTX275s heating up a single heatsink. I think 79C is great considering my dust-free 6950 2GB non-ref hits 80+ under load with auto fan speeds (aka noisy as hell)...
Canada  Online
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
BigE4u
Anonymous

Dual gpu..... well then, i missed that train. carry on
United States  Offline
Old 04-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
scarface-x
its world up there

so now the tempretures are perfect and also I reinstall OS after more then 3 years and PC works spot on. No overheating no redlight on GPU (which cause I think PSU, I have changed PCI-e cables and all good) and also monitor not going to sleep mode randomly.

Lets see how long this will last
Slovakia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply