EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Notebooks, Handhelds, PDAs
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
ReikokuKo
Learning To Overclock

Battery not charging

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad y570 that is about 5 months old with very light use. (I only use it for school, got a desktop at home.) I am having a battery charging issue that I cannot seem to resolve.
I always have my laptop plugged in so it is hard to determine when this problem started, but it was discovered when I didn't have access to any outlets at the library so I ran off of the battery for a good 3 hours and days later I am noticing that the battery level has not charged back up yet, even when it is off and plugged in.

Symptoms:
- Hovering over the battery icon, the tooltip reads plugged in, not charging.
- The front LED indictating battery charge (or just plugged in?) is lit up when the unit is on or off.
- Machine is dual booted with linux and Linux states battery is charging but the charge level does not rise.

Tried solutions (to no avail):
- BIOS is already up to date, I was not able to update it.
- Uninstalling MS ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery on AC power and rebooting with battery in.
- Many google results suggesting a combination of shutting down on battery power, rebooting w/o battery on AC, uninstalling aforementioned driver, shutting down, re-inserting battery, re-installing driver, etc.

Additional comments:
- The symptoms strongly suggest a hardware issue as the problem persists outside of Windows.
- The BIOS is very skimp lacking any battery health information or calibration features.

Let me know what you think.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

rma it as it's only 5 months old.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
ReikokuKo
Learning To Overclock

Lenovo RMA seems nonexistant =\ It would have to fall under warranty which I do not have on the machine.

I'm just hoping that this is a battery issue and not a motherboard issue. Although either one is undesirable at the moment.
United States  Offline
Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
maxgull
fo mo yeers

My guess would be something in the battery pack electronics not functioning properly. Replace...
United States  Offline
Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikokuKo View Post
Lenovo RMA seems nonexistant =\ It would have to fall under warranty which I do not have on the machine.

I'm just hoping that this is a battery issue and not a motherboard issue. Although either one is undesirable at the moment.
Why would you not have a warranty?Is this used that you have had for 5 months?
Canada  Offline
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
maxgull
fo mo yeers

Craigs list maybe hot.

KIDDING!!

BTW, My Y560p won't charge til it is like ~70% capacity if it has been unplugged/replugged. In other words, if I unplug it and plug it back in, it will get down to ~70% before it starts charging again, dunno why, prolly they want the battery to cycle somewhat.
United States  Offline
Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
ReikokuKo
Learning To Overclock

The laptop is brand new, bought it in store. I just didn't bother to buy warranty, but I guess that is my mistake, either way, I would have had to send the entire thing right? For them to diagnose the battery (if that is what is faulty). I need my laptop right now, I can deal with it being plugged in as that is how I have been using since day one.

I will just gamble and buy a new battery. Now if something else had gone wrong/goes wrong, I may regret not buying warranty.
United States  Offline
Old 04-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

I would think that you didn't buy the extended warranty which is over and above the regular warranty which usually is a year.Yes you might have to send it in but it's better than paying if there is something serious wrong.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
PommieB
Overclocker

Batteries usually have a 12 month warranty so I'd say your covered, I'd get in touch with Lenovo on there website, before doing that I'd run the laptop on battery till it shuts down then reboot on A/C and allow it to recharge fully, that way it will reset itself, hopefully, if it stay's empty then contact Lenovo and rma the laptop or the battery.
Australia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply