EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > General Windows Troubleshooting
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
MrSelfDestruct
Overclocker

Keyboard fails to start

Alright, this has been bugging me for months. 3/5 times that I start my computer my keyboard will stop working as soon as Windows 7 loads. BIOS is fine. The error I get is Code 10 : Device cannot start.

Specs:
Toshiba Qosmio X770-BT5G24 Laptop

So Toshiba's terrible tech support can't fix it and my only option is to send it in for repair. This has been happening since I originally bought the laptop. I really think this is software and not hardware though so I'm going to ask here before considering shipping my laptop out to Toshiba.

I've tried several different keyboards. My main keyboard is a Logi G110; however, I've tested with a Logi G15 and a cheap $12 Logi from Walmart. They all run into this problem. All my mice work, my M-Box works and anything I plug into USB ports works 100% except keyboards. I've tried every USB slot on this laptop and it's always doing it.

What do you guys think it is? If you need anymore information just ask.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

The 10 code is no driver, or bad driver, or conflicted driver. It's software related. Have you tried loading your own driver?, or just the standard W7 drivers.
United States  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
MrSelfDestruct
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
The 10 code is no driver, or bad driver, or conflicted driver. It's software related. Have you tried loading your own driver?, or just the standard W7 drivers.
Mr.Scott, it has been quite some years since you last helped me with a PC problem. Glad to see you're still here helping out!

When you say my own driver do you mean the one from Logitech that I install myself? If I remember correctly, it fails to start on both W7 and Logitech drivers. I gave up troubleshooting months ago but I'm really determined to get this fixed now. It's a pain in the butt having to restart my computer from login screen up to 5 times before my keyboard works. What would you suggest doing first to get to the bottom of this?
United States  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
AMDGUY
Riff Raff

Are you using the drivers from the disk?
If so, I'd try going to Logitech's website & getting them from there.
Un-install the old one first.
United States  Offline
Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
MrSelfDestruct
Overclocker

I'm using a windows driver from 2006. I can't find any driver downloads from Logitech, only the profiler software. I'm going to install both of the downloads to see if one of them installs a driver.

I don't think this will help though, but I'll let you know. Thanks for the help guys.
United States  Offline
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
b1lk1
Spiral out....

Only thing that will help is a full reinstall of Windows. The current install is missing everything keyboard related on the kernel level, no amount of driver installing will help. I just had this exact same error on my son's PC when I installed Windows 7. It all worked very well except error 10 on keyboards, just as you describe. Once I re-installed Windows I had no error or problems.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
MrSelfDestruct
Overclocker

I've done a reformat twice already. My laptops copy of Windows 7 is stored on my 2nd HDD though. I wonder if the file is screwed up from the factory? This is my first laptop so I'm not used to reformatting with a bloated copy of Windows.

If it was missing everything keyboard related then how come it works most of the time? It seems to just be a random chance upon W7 Login that it fails to work until a restart. Rarely it takes 3 restarts to finally get it to work again. Once I can log in with the keyboard working it continues to work. I've just never had a problem like this that persisted through a reformat... I probably should have mentioned that >.<
United States  Offline
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
b1lk1
Spiral out....

I missed that you wrote it doesn't always happen. One question, when the keyboard fails to work does anything else USB work like a mouse? That would help narrow it down if it were a USB failure or a Windows failure.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
maxgull
fo mo yeers

What is showing faulted in the device manager when this happens? Just the keyboard or something at chipset level?
United States  Online
Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
PommieB
Overclocker

The only software logitech use is setpoint, the drivers are supplied by Microsoft, should load automatically, I know mine do. Sounds like it's usb related, I'd check the Toshiba site for updates, might be the usb controller software.
Australia  Offline
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
MrSelfDestruct
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I missed that you wrote it doesn't always happen. One question, when the keyboard fails to work does anything else USB work like a mouse? That would help narrow it down if it were a USB failure or a Windows failure.
When the keyboard fails everything else will still work. Mouse works, USB cooling pad, MBox (external sound card). So it is 100% ONLY KEYBOARD that fails to start.

The fail to start code is listed on the keyboard itself, nothing else.

Toshiba has tried everything over the phone, the only thing they can do now is to receive the laptop and fix it. I use this laptop nearly everyday for school etc and I'm trying to figure out a solution before having to resort to that.

I've installed all available drivers from Toshiba and even went through checking each device with windows automatic update to make sure it says latest driver installed. I will wait till the next failed restart and I will post a screenshot of my device manager.

I'm typing on the keyboard right now and once it works it works 100%. This has stumped me completely. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate the time you've taken to reply. I will get to the bottom of this someday, I'm just grateful it at least works for the most part.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
PommieB
Overclocker

Send the laptop to Toshiba, there's obviously a problem with the laptop/keyboard and it doesn't appear to be software, I doubt device manager will show anything, if it does by all means post it. Does the laptops keyboard give any problems or is it just usb related.

Is there a bios update, make sure you are running the latest bios for the laptop.
Australia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply