EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Memory
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
jlabit
Running System Stock

Building new computer for granddaughters

Not really trying to overclock this machine. Just trying to get it to run at it's rated speed, but having problems. This forum has the best experts at this type problem.

Just finished building a new computer for my 2 granddaughters, and I'm having one problem I'm having a hard time getting a handle on. I have been building these things for years, but not a lot of experience overclocking, so I am not real sharp with bios issues. The motherboard is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131724

The memory is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148346

The problem I am having is that both the bios, and CPUZ are telling me that the memory is running at 1066. It is supposed to be 1333 memory, and when I set it to run manually at 1333 in bios, the computer will not boot. I get just a black screen. Setting it back to auto frequency will restore a good boot. I also manually set the memory voltage to 1.5 volts, which is what the voltage is supposed to be. Anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong? Every time I have ever installed a memory stick I got the frequency I was supposed to get, except once. On that occasion, resetting the memory voltage to the required 1.65 volts fixed that. Not sure what else to do. Would appreciate advice. Thanks.

Last edited by jlabit : 05-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
Not really trying to overclock this machine. Just trying to get it to run at it's rated speed, but having problems. This forum has the best experts at this type problem.

Just finished building a new computer for my 2 granddaughters, and I'm having one problem I'm having a hard time getting a handle on. I have been building these things for years, but not a lot of experience overclocking, so I am not real sharp with bios issues. The motherboard is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131724

The memory is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148346

The problem I am having is that both the bios, and CPUZ are telling me that the memory is running at 1066. It is supposed to be 1333 memory, and when I set it to run manually at 1333 in bios, the computer will not boot. I get just a black screen. Setting it back to auto frequency will restore a good boot. I also manually set the memory voltage to 1.5 volts, which is what the voltage is supposed to be. Anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong? Every time I have ever installed a memory stick I got the frequency I was supposed to get, except once. On that occasion, resetting the memory voltage to the required 1.65 volts fixed that. Not sure what else to do. Would appreciate advice. Thanks.
Both of those are bad links. Make sure that you have the timings set correctly. Go in and manually set them. Make sure you have the voltage set properly aswell. You could also have bad ram. Download the memtest 86+ image and burn it to disk. Then boot from it and run it for at least 4-8 hours but preferably 24 hours.
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
CybrSlydr
Special Fish?

Holy crap...

I read the thread title and then the authors name and my brain turned his name into...

"jailbait" lmfao
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
jlabit
Running System Stock

Sorry, I fixed the bad urls. I manually set the timings for what I found on the internet for this memory. I also manually set the voltage to 1.5v. Not sure what else to do.
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
Holy crap...

I read the thread title and then the authors name and my brain turned his name into...

"jailbait" lmfao

Quote:
Sorry, I fixed the bad urls. I manually set the timings for what I found on the internet for this memory. I also manually set the voltage to 1.5v. Not sure what else to do.
Try some other DDR3 and see if it works. It sounds like it could just be some bad RAM that cannot run at its correct timings and speed.
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Increase the voltage slightly, see if that will give you enough stability to boot.
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
pckid9234
Extreme Overclocker

+1 FOR MEMTEST.
Thought I had good ram... got 10 plus errors waiting to hear back from corsair
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
jlabit
Running System Stock

Thanks for the quick responses. I ran memtest for an hour last night and got no errors. Going to run it all day today today. Got a second stick of the same memory due in by UPS truck today. When it gets here, I'll pop it in and see what happens. Think I'll try bumping that memory voltage up just a little bit and see what happens. Thanks again.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses. I ran memtest for an hour last night and got no errors. Going to run it all day today today. Got a second stick of the same memory due in by UPS truck today. When it gets here, I'll pop it in and see what happens. Think I'll try bumping that memory voltage up just a little bit and see what happens. Thanks again.
Please let us know what the solution is once you find it.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
jlabit
Running System Stock

OK. The problem is the processor itself. Wish I had known that when I was shopping for CPU's. The processor is limited to dual channel memory at 1066. My granddaughters are 7 and 5 years old and probably won't be playing Crysis or BF yet, like I do, so this machine will play their games fast enough. Just hard to believe that Intel is producing a chip in Q3 of 2011 that limits memory speed to 1066. Live and learn. Thanks again for your assistance. This is definitely the place to go for help. Have a good day.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
vai0
><>

What proc is it?
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
jlabit
Running System Stock

It is an Intel G630 dual core.