EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Digital Cameras, Camcorders, & Web Cams
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
garman
Doh!!!!!!!

So I just picked up this camera.....

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V and it is a huge upgrade for me compared to my little pocket Samsung camera I was using. I really like it so far. I have a question about the SDHC card.

I am currently using this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P3MCXW/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

But I have just purchased this card today, but I have not opened it, so depending on what you guys say, I can return it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+Pr...ard&cp=1&lp=14

Can anyone tell me if I will see a performance difference between the 2 cards above using my Sony camera listed above? The camera has a ton more functions than my old camera, so I am thinking that a better card would be justified. Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all help!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Urbanfox
Consigliere

They are both class 10 speed, so there should be no issues with either.

I bought two of these and they are more than fast enough for the same 1080P/60: http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produc...82E16820220496
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Stratman
Overclocker

I have had good luck with Transcend cards, I have an 8 GB SDHC and it has never had any problems.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Odanez
I am Jean Luc Bacardi

Check benchmarks for each of them, the class rating and XXXx rating (e.g. 233x) does not mean much in most cases - many manufacturers lie about it. But if it says class 10 it is usually fast enough. Highest bitrate for 1080p60 I have seen on a normal camera is 28mbps, meaning that the card should be able to do 4MB/s sustained write speed - and most cards that are class 4 or better can do this without a problem. The only manufacturer that also performs at advertised speeds consistently is Sandisk, but they do cost a little more than others. Transcend are fairly good, but I researched on the topic once, and came to the conclusion that I would only buy Sandisk, nothing else - they seem to have less failure rates than others as well.

My class 4 Sandisk can write at 10-15MB/s and my class 6 around 20MB/s - way more than anyone would need.
Germany  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Granger
Learning To Overclock

Why cards so big?

I use class 6 and class 10 cards, mostly 4Gb cards.
Takes 30 seconds to change a card, if you are like me and take a huge amount of photos, you lose 4 gigs of photos, its a pain but not the end of the world.
Lose 32 gigs of photos, thats bad.
An example, I used three 4gig and one 8gig card for my nephews wedding. If one of the cards messed up, I would still have enough photos to make them a nice album.
If I only used one 32gig card and it messed up.....no photos and a lot of upset people.

Its something to think about.

Other than that, both cards will work fine, and being class 10, you can shoot HD video and RAW format photos without any problems.
France  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
FX5200
Traceur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger View Post
Why cards so big?

I use class 6 and class 10 cards, mostly 4Gb cards.
Takes 30 seconds to change a card, if you are like me and take a huge amount of photos, you lose 4 gigs of photos, its a pain but not the end of the world.
Lose 32 gigs of photos, thats bad.
An example, I used three 4gig and one 8gig card for my nephews wedding. If one of the cards messed up, I would still have enough photos to make them a nice album.
If I only used one 32gig card and it messed up.....no photos and a lot of upset people.
Very good point, actually.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Urbanfox
Consigliere

Sony's 1080P60FPS takes a huge chunk of disk space.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
garman
Doh!!!!!!!

I picked up the 32gb card because it was on sale and I had a $30 reward certificate I needed to blow in the next little while. I only paid $20 out of pocket for the PNY.

I transfer my pics to my computer and my external hard drive, so hopefully I will be safe!

I was mostly wondering if the faster speeds would do better for taking action shots. I have 3 kids in sports an thought it would be cool to take some burst shots. This is a really fun, nice quality camera compared to my old camera. Have a lot to learn though!

Thanks all
United States  Offline
Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
rich9cinti
I Likes Hardware...

Hey garmin, hope you are enjoying your new Sony camera! I think you did just fine picking up a good deal on your card. Without getting into a battle of technical comparisons I'll try to dumb it down.

I shoot dual Canon 7D's using 32GB Transcend UDMA CF cards at 400x and 600x. I only shoot in large RAW format and yes, the speed of your cards make a difference based on it's write speed to the card so it can make room in the buffer of your camera.

With that said, your Sony is impressive at up to 10fps BUT it only uses jpeg file format based on the specs I read. You should not notice much difference in a class 6 or 10 unless say you are shooting 30 to 100 frames in one shot lol. Not saying your camera can do that, once again it depends on the buffer size of your Sony.

Now it may help you with video, I don't do video so it may or may not help.

As for the comment about "why so large?" Meh, standard size cards change from year to year. People have argued about card size forever. The one thing is for sure, the card capacities are becoming larger since the MP size of today's entry level cams are higher that previous years and now they also do video. It's up to you what size you are comfortable with losing in case of corruption. As for the person shooting a wedding and having multiple cards to do the shoot... That is a smart move BUT any person who has to cover a wedding by themselves better shoot with two camera bodies. I've read about camera failure as much as I hear about cards going bad.

Last edited by rich9cinti : 05-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

Small note, but my camera writes faster to my Class 4 Sandisk card than my Class 10 Patriot.
Australia  thread Folds For EOC!  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply