EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Off Topic / General Chat (No Post Increase) > Games, Games, Games... > Massively Multiplayer Online
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #21
901-Memphis
Santa Hat!

I just noticed that i won't be billed for a few more days i have been playing on game time and when it starts subscribing i will have a 7 day trial pass that will get you both the starting planets basically level 1-10 or so.

Let me know if your still interested if an get you the code.

Last edited by 901-Memphis : 03-28-2012 at 10:32 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
GoodGuy8705
Overclocking Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanfox View Post
About a quarter of the quests are actually fun and aren't the usual "go kill x amount of enemies".
Fixed that for you.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
ZLTFUL
Monkey Football SECKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy8705 View Post
Fixed that for you.
About the only time I will agree 100% with a Buckeye fan!
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
Urbanfox
Consigliere

Well we all have our opinions.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #25
jwigeland
Need before Greed

My only experience with the MMO has been WoW; I've played for 8 months.

What I like about it:

There's lots and lots of stuff to do as a solo player.

It's easy to make gold by - at the bare minimum of effort - farming mats and selling at the auction house.

There's very little violence. Remember when we were kids in the backyard playing cops and robbers? How did you die? You fell over "auuugghh" and got back up again. That's about as violent as it gets in WoW.

On a highly populated server, there are guilds packed with veteran players who are happy to assist new people with free advice and cheap crafting.

The game has a huge playerbase and a long history - meaning Google will return a solution for 99.9% of the questions and problems you may have.

The classes are well balanced.

You can choose to be on a server where the other side isn't hostile unless both players actively flag themselves for PvP.

The dungeon finder and raid finder tools allow you to quickly get into instances with random players that span multiple servers, instead of trying to assemble your own group by spamming the chat channel at a major city.

Even though the game engine is dated, it's pretty to look at.

It's pretty laid back and doesn't take itself too seriously.

What I don't like about it (although these may also apply to many other MMOs):

There is very little in-game help and/or tutorials - expect to do a lot of Google time, and encounter facepalm moments when you find there's a really easy way to do something that was previously very hard.

The layout of major cities makes it very challenging to find anything until you've memorized where things are.

There's a lot of cool stuff to buy (armor, weapons, enchantments, etc), but you don't need to buy any of it if you're just questing and doing random dungeons - the quest rewards are sufficient.

The game doesn't tell you: "this quest reward ring is the best in that slot you can get until you snag a lucky rare drop from a challenging dungeon so you should definately take that ring even though the sword is worth more gold when you sell it."

The game doesn't tell you: "you'd better hang on to these quest reward boots even though they're for DPS and you're a tank because when you want to make a set of DPS gear you can't get these boots anywhere else."

The game doesn't tell you: "don't spend your precious Justice Points on this level 346 item because you're going to replace it tomorrow with a level 353 quest reward from the next tier of dungeons."

Other players can ruin your fun in random dungeons (less so) and random raids (more so), if you let it get to you. Expect random groups to contain bad manners, poor performance, consistent failures on fight mechanics, and people rolling for loot they don't need, just because they can. If you go in prepared, at least you won't be disappointed.

Verdict - I lose 2 hours of sleep to this game. Minimum. Every single day. =)

Last edited by jwigeland : 05-02-2012 at 12:30 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #26
Blackops_2
I was Born Ready

Don't forget the other con of WoW and almost all MMO's subscription...

I think my personal favorite was GW and is becoming GW2. Though i've only played those (i don't do subscriptions that's absurd)

After the GW2 beta weekend this last weekend, i have to say it's amazing. Only lacking in one department and that's weapon skills, if they just add a couple it's by far the most engrossing MMO i've ever played and honestly can't see anyone topping it.

New dynamic combat really makes the game fun, so it isn't just stand in place and perform skill A then B then C.

New dynamic event system so far has proved itself to really work. There is a sense and feel that everyone is working together. I met with random people and just partied up and went on destroying monsters and taking on dynamic events for hours.

No DPS, Tank, or Healer. Takes a bit to get your head around it but it's doable. Can't say how much i like it yet because i've played the closest thing to healing-guardian.

The world is absolutely huge, scaling, and it's downright beautiful for an MMO. I honestly don't think my screenshots do it any justice and once the game is optimized and they add Dx11 in the final build it's going to be great.

Jeremy Soule does the music...the guy is like Hans Zimmer of the video game industry. Good music sets the mood in a game. Whether it's charging into battle or quietly looking over the vast mountains of the shiverpeaks his stuff is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ze7...feature=relmfu
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
Amish
Amish Hit Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
Don't forget the other con of WoW and almost all MMO's subscription...

I think my personal favorite was GW and is becoming GW2. Though i've only played those (i don't do subscriptions that's absurd)

After the GW2 beta weekend this last weekend, i have to say it's amazing. Only lacking in one department and that's weapon skills, if they just add a couple it's by far the most engrossing MMO i've ever played and honestly can't see anyone topping it.

New dynamic combat really makes the game fun, so it isn't just stand in place and perform skill A then B then C.

New dynamic event system so far has proved itself to really work. There is a sense and feel that everyone is working together. I met with random people and just partied up and went on destroying monsters and taking on dynamic events for hours.

No DPS, Tank, or Healer. Takes a bit to get your head around it but it's doable. Can't say how much i like it yet because i've played the closest thing to healing-guardian.

The world is absolutely huge, scaling, and it's downright beautiful for an MMO. I honestly don't think my screenshots do it any justice and once the game is optimized and they add Dx11 in the final build it's going to be great.

Jeremy Soule does the music...the guy is like Hans Zimmer of the video game industry. Good music sets the mood in a game. Whether it's charging into battle or quietly looking over the vast mountains of the shiverpeaks his stuff is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ze7...feature=relmfu

Not to take away from GW2 because I agree its one of the better MMO's on the way and in my experience one of the best I've played. It's more a true MMO while GW was not really a true MMO by most peoples standards.

That said; you commented that "it's by far the most engrossing MMO i've ever played and honestly can't see anyone topping it." I find that funny considering you claim to have only ever played two mmo games (GW1 and GW2). It's by far the most engrossing MMO to you; I don't doubt. lol But considering you refuse to pay to play you'll never know if there is a better game past or future. Most F2P MMO's use a micro transaction system anyway. The true F2P games that are high quality like GW2 are non-existant. IMO.

Now being a fan of F2P and P2P games I can say that GW2 is without a doubt a refreshing take on MMO's with enough changes to make it not a typical WoW clone. Which is good in my book but there have been plenty of quality MMO games over the years. Some better than others. Even now there is a lot of talk about Tera. I've played the beta and even though I wasn't sure if I'd buy it I have to admit that it too has enough unique ideas that sets it apart from your typical WoW clone.

I dig WoW by the way. A great game.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
Blackops_2
I was Born Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish View Post
Not to take away from GW2 because I agree its one of the better MMO's on the way and in my experience one of the best I've played. It's more a true MMO while GW was not really a true MMO by most peoples standards.

That said; you commented that "it's by far the most engrossing MMO i've ever played and honestly can't see anyone topping it." I find that funny considering you claim to have only ever played two mmo games (GW1 and GW2). It's by far the most engrossing MMO to you; I don't doubt. lol But considering you refuse to pay to play you'll never know if there is a better game past or future. Most F2P MMO's use a micro transaction system anyway. The true F2P games that are high quality like GW2 are non-existant. IMO.

Now being a fan of F2P and P2P games I can say that GW2 is without a doubt a refreshing take on MMO's with enough changes to make it not a typical WoW clone. Which is good in my book but there have been plenty of quality MMO games over the years. Some better than others. Even now there is a lot of talk about Tera. I've played the beta and even though I wasn't sure if I'd buy it I have to admit that it too has enough unique ideas that sets it apart from your typical WoW clone.

I dig WoW by the way. A great game.
Your right, but i don't necessarily have to play WoW to get sense of what it would be like, i can predetermine most of how it is by watching gameplay as it's a classic MMO as everyone says correct? GW wasn't a "true" MMO because of the non existent open world and party system, other than that it followed the trend pretty closely i would say. Refusing to buy into "pay to play" scandal is my preference. And paying to play comes into my judgement of an MMO, so for me there is no other MMO on the way with content of Guild wars 2 that's free to play. Therefore I can't see anyone matching it. That and the fact that making combat more dynamic really is a new introduction to MMOs or of the one's i've seen. (haven't looked into tera) It poses a more interactive feel than just standing there casting/fighting/shooting/ etc. Microtransactions in GW2 is going to be just like the original there are no game breaking advantages just cosmetics, then comes expansions. WoW has a subscription fee and expansion right? The only part where GW2 is lacking is weapon skills, i don't care what anyone says using the same five skills for each of your favorite weapons for 80lvls is going to get repetitive.

And before everyone goes all hay wire trying to defend paying to play lets look at arena nets situation. They've taken a risk and catered to the consumer in both GW1 and 2. They seem to be doing fine. There is still a decent amount of GW1 players at the moment. Paying 50$ for a game then paying monthly to play that game is like buying a rifle and paying for your ability to squeeze the trigger, it's stupid IMO and i just can't do it.

I don't really have a problem with WoW other than it's subscription based. They need to make another or something though, graphically it's outdated and looks like cartoons, always been a turn off for me.

Maybe I'm a little too biased and hard headed but I can't stomach paying to play.

Last edited by Blackops_2 : 05-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Paying 50$ for a game then paying monthly to play that game is like buying a rifle and paying for your ability to squeeze the trigger, it's stupid IMO and i just can't do it.
They are called bullets, and they are a requirement if you expect the rifle to be useful .

I have played several MMO's at this point. So far the only real standout I have played previously was SWG which was a great game until they destroyed it.

Wow was frankly quite boring from day 1, the only reason I played it was to play with friends that were in the game. Almost every game since wow's release with very few exceptions have been a clone of WoW with maybe one or two minor changes to try and set it apart. Some for the better (rift), some far worse (AOC).

GW2 is the first game that really has gotten me excited to play this close to release. And it's free to play to boot. While I am not against paying a subscription, I certainly appreciate not having to pay one as well. I always thought subscriptions were just another money grab from game companies, but if it was required in order to play a game I thought I'd enjoy I was willing to part with the money.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
Blackops_2
I was Born Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage67 View Post
They are called bullets, and they are a requirement if you expect the rifle to be useful .

I have played several MMO's at this point. So far the only real standout I have played previously was SWG which was a great game until they destroyed it.

Wow was frankly quite boring from day 1, the only reason I played it was to play with friends that were in the game. Almost every game since wow's release with very few exceptions have been a clone of WoW with maybe one or two minor changes to try and set it apart. Some for the better (rift), some far worse (AOC).

GW2 is the first game that really has gotten me excited to play this close to release. And it's free to play to boot. While I am not against paying a subscription, I certainly appreciate not having to pay one as well. I always thought subscriptions were just another money grab from game companies, but if it was required in order to play a game I thought I'd enjoy I was willing to part with the money.
It's like remington charging me to shoot my 5R there better Though brass and bullets aren't that expensive if you reload .

A game is something that i play to enjoy. Not something i feel obligated to play since i'm having to pay monthly, and like you said i believe it's definitely a cash grab.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #31
Bootes
:D!

Look up TERA
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #32
Amish
Amish Hit Man

GW2 is good. That its free to play after buying the game itself is great. I don't mind paying to play at all but then again Anets version of free is the best and I do like it. I had two accounts with GW1 and a butt load of characters. Love that game but it was no where near as involved as a true MMO. GW2 steps it up in every area and so far (this year) has made one of the best MMO title out or soon to be out anyway.

They aren't the first to make combat more interactive. AoC does this too and better IMO but I won't get into that game now.

WoW
Rift
SWTOR
GW2
Tera

The above titles are the best out or in GW2's case almost out games right now. (IMO)

I see Tera and GW2 doing very well.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
Blackops_2
I was Born Ready

Got some note taking to do on guardian this guy is so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7uNH...feature=relmfu
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish View Post
GW2 is good. That its free to play after buying the game itself is great. I don't mind paying to play at all but then again Anets version of free is the best and I do like it. I had two accounts with GW1 and a butt load of characters. Love that game but it was no where near as involved as a true MMO. GW2 steps it up in every area and so far (this year) has made one of the best MMO title out or soon to be out anyway.

They aren't the first to make combat more interactive. AoC does this too and better IMO but I won't get into that game now.

WoW
Rift
SWTOR
GW2
Tera

The above titles are the best out or in GW2's case almost out games right now. (IMO)

I see Tera and GW2 doing very well.
I can say this list is entirely accurate. I've played all of the above except for GW2, though it looks pretty good. I decided to buy TERA, as in my opinion, it seemed a lot more fun than GW2.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
fasttruck860
Liquid satisfaction

No one here likes Lotro? I've been playing since F2P. Epic story line is great and Tier 2 raids are extremely challenging. Classes are specialized, but the community is much more relaxed than other games from what I hear.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #36
Amish
Amish Hit Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttruck860 View Post
No one here likes Lotro? I've been playing since F2P. Epic story line is great and Tier 2 raids are extremely challenging. Classes are specialized, but the community is much more relaxed than other games from what I hear.
Oh I loved that game. But I loved it back in 2007 and for a couple years after release. It's a good game but not in the same league as these we are talking about.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #37
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Got some note taking to do on guardian this guy is so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7uNH...feature=relmfu
I would say he's pretty impressive, makes me want to make a guardian .

Found one I think I like better though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iQkWoS6VM

His survival isn't as good, but man that damage output is nice.

Last edited by hostage67 : 05-04-2012 at 01:58 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #38
krone6
Whaaaaaaaaa?

Tera or gw2.. About it in my opinion. Though for me, gw2 wins. I tried the 30 minute demo of tera and it was alright.. Nothing that special, but I can see a little differences from wow.
United States  Offline
Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #39
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

I haven't played it but I read an interesting review of The Secret World over the weekend.

http://techcitement.com/entertainmen...ever-heard-of/
United States  digitaldd Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #40
Doubles
Save H20 Drink Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldd View Post
I haven't played it but I read an interesting review of The Secret World over the weekend.

http://techcitement.com/entertainmen...ever-heard-of/
It's fun. I bought it and have sunk a lot of time into it already.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply