EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives & Flash Media
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

OCZ Agility 3 performance. Possible issues

So i have had my OCZ Agility 3 SSD for about a month now. I have installed some games on it, but i feel as if it can be faster. Here is my PC specs and maybe you can tell me if i need a better motherboard for the SSD.

Intel Core i7 920 at 2.66Ghz
ASRock X58 Extreme Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 6GB Triple Channel RAM @ 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
2 x WD Caviar Black in Raid 0
1 OCZ Agility 3 SSD HD
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
PommieB
Overclocker

Best thing to do is run a ATTO benchmark on the ssd drive it will tell you whether it's up to speed or not, post the benchmark here.
Australia  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PommieB View Post
Best thing to do is run a ATTO benchmark on the ssd drive it will tell you whether it's up to speed or not, post the benchmark here.
I just noticed that my motherboard is Sata II 3.0Gb/s, and the OCZ Agility 3 is SATA III 6.0Gb/s. This might explain the speeds
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Is W7 installed on your SSD, or only games? Does your motherboard have a SATA3 controller, and if so, are you plugged in it? (Not that I recommend doing so on a Marvel controller, Id rather use SATA2)
Canada  Online
Old 05-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
Is W7 installed on your SSD, or only games? Does your motherboard have a SATA3 controller, and if so, are you plugged in it? (Not that I recommend doing so on a Marvel controller, Id rather use SATA2)

No i have windows 7 installed on 2 Western Digital Blacks in Raid 0. I have this just for installing games on. Maybe i did not install and configure it correctly? Also, all the sata ports are Sata2, as the ASRock X58 Extreme does not have Sata III 6.0Gb/s. Look up there board here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...=X58%20Extreme
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

I would suggest installing Windows on the SSD and the games on the RAID0. That way you will see the biggest improvements.

Note that installing games on SSDs yields no performance (framerates and lag) improvements other than a decrease in loading times... which will already be low enough on the RAID0.
Canada  Online
Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
I would suggest installing Windows on the SSD and the games on the RAID0. That way you will see the biggest improvements.

Note that installing games on SSDs yields no performance (framerates and lag) improvements other than a decrease in loading times... which will already be low enough on the RAID0.

Really? So SSD is better for OS loading and my Raid 0 Western Digitals be better for gaming? Are you sure about this? Cause i don't want to format everything only to find out that games are better played on SSD's
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
PommieB
Overclocker

I think the fact that the motherboard is sata2 pretty much answers your question. How you install things is up to yourself, you can take Nagoshi's advise on that, even though more and more people seem to be using ssd drives for running games these days, but I would imagine the raided drives would work just as well.
Australia  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Installing W7 on the SSD will make everything you do go faster. Games' loading times will be slightly slower on the RAID0 compared to the SSD, but you'll still be in the first few bunch in the game.

I have my games on a full 320GB SE16 drive and the OS on a 60GB Corsair Force 3, and Im in the 1st pack of people getting in while joining games.... every time.
Canada  Online
Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Installing W7 on the SSD will make everything you do go faster. Games' loading times will be slightly slower on the RAID0 compared to the SSD, but you'll still be in the first few bunch in the game.

I have my games on a full 320GB SE16 drive and the OS on a 60GB Corsair Force 3, and Im in the 1st pack of people getting in while joining games.... every time.

Well i would assume that if your playing an online game that internet connection plays a role as well. Also, i am looking to upgrade my motherboard from the ASRock X58 extreme to an Asus Sabertooth X58. With the new board i will be able to take advantage of SATA III 6.0GB/s. Thoughts on this?
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRxEVOx View Post
Well i would assume that if your playing an online game that internet connection plays a role as well. Also, i am looking to upgrade my motherboard from the ASRock X58 extreme to an Asus Sabertooth X58. With the new board i will be able to take advantage of SATA III 6.0GB/s. Thoughts on this?
SATA3 on this board (or any X58 for the matter) is not "native" and performance on the Marvell SATA3 controller will be juggling between "better" and "worse" compared to SATA2.
Canada  Online
Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Ok well, i will do what you suggested and put my OS on the SSd and use my Raid 0 for games. Thanks for your time and knowledge.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply