EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > ATi Technologies
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Worth upgrading GTX 580 to 7970?

Is this upgrade worth it? What is the performance difference between the 2 cards?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

you'll get somewhere around a 40% improvement in performance.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
DrGuns4Hands
Come on Piledriver

I don't know where the 40% improvement He's talking about would come from it's literally 1 tier difference on the graphics hierarchy chart on toms hardware. Maybe if it was a 560 that might be closer to accurate but I can't say you'll see a noticeable difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html
United States  DrGuns4Hands Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Because one tier equals what performance difference exactly? Ya, that's kind of my point. You're using a ranking system, not a performance system.

I listed roughly 40% because that is what the reviews determined when the 7970 was first released, however I believe that 40% was actually based off of the 6970, not the 580. So lets say somewhere around a 30% improvement from a 580. This also obviously depends on the resolutions, settings, and game you are comparing it to as well. If you are running a single monitor with only 1920x1080, then even maxed out you will probably only see a minor performance increase as you really aren't even stressing the 580 at those resolutions. But running an eyefinity setup with max settings should show you some decent performance gains.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
DrGuns4Hands
Come on Piledriver

Okay now I understand your reference point, yes in a tripple monitor set up the 7970 could be a worthwhile upgrade. I made the assumption he had a more common system set-up though perhaps I should have asked. Not sure the exact performance per tier they recommend not upgrading unless your moving up 3 tiers cause performance gains would be minimal but that is assuming the more common resolutions with a single monitor, mileage will definetely be different on multi-monitor setups.
United States  DrGuns4Hands Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Well i have a 27inch 1080p monitor and plan on playing Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3. So maybe its better i just leave me system as is? here are my specs

Intel Core i7 920 at 2.66Ghz
ASRock X58 Extreme Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 6GB Triple Channel RAM @ 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
2 x WD Caviar Black in Raid 0
1 OCZ Agility 3 SSD HD
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRxEVOx View Post
Well i have a 27inch 1080p monitor and plan on playing Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3. So maybe its better i just leave me system as is? here are my specs

EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
1 OCZ Agility 3 SSD HD
Your system is more than enough. Maybe ovrrclock the cpu a bit.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
maxgull
fo mo yeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTower87 View Post
Your system is more than enough. Maybe ovrrclock the cpu a bit.
+1 and +1 on the overclock.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Also i forgot to mention i have a Coolermaster V8 Cooler on the CPU and i have a profile saved for it to OC to 3.2Ghz
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:

EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
1 OCZ Agility 3 SSD HD
Ya, that is likely already more than enough to max out everything on those games. Those are the same games I am planning to play but I'm going for a surround video setup @120hz.
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage67 View Post
Ya, that is likely already more than enough to max out everything on those games. Those are the same games I am planning to play but I'm going for a surround video setup @120hz.
120Hz works on video games? I thought they cap out at 60Hz?
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Quote:
120Hz works on video games? I thought they cap out at 60Hz?
Most monitors cap at 60hz. If your monitor is capable then you can run 120hz.
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTower87 View Post
Most monitors cap at 60hz. If your monitor is capable then you can run 120hz.
But doesn't the game have to be designed to 120Hz?
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
But doesn't the game have to be designed to 120Hz?
No, not really. Unless the game sets a hard limit (which some do), then 120hz should be viable. Most games these days will allow 120hz. The companies are getting better at not setting artificial caps for gamers these days.

This will be my first venture into 120hz territory, but I did tons of research prior to making the investment in equipment to make sure it was something I was interested in. It was extremely difficult to find good comparisons online since 120hz doesn't really translate well across internet media due to limited sizes. Most video's are well below 120hz which means any video comparison is mostly useless since it won't actually capture the true difference. The main advantage is smoother action and less jaggies due to the faster refresh rate. The disadvantage is that currently in order to get 120hz you have to use a TN panel instead of an IPS panel which has a better picture. You also need the horsepower to push 120hz to your monitor, which frankly is no small feat in the case of surround video.

I am starting with 2x 680 4gb cards when they become available in order to power my displays, but I expect I will still need to add at least one more card to that in order to get the desired results. On a single monitor this could probably be done with just a single video card. There are other complications I had to resolve as well in order to go this route, so it's not for the faint of heart as the price alone would give you a heart attack . Since all 3 of my monitors are DVI and the 680 only includes two DVI ports, I need to run a DisplayPort adapater (only the DVI and DisplayPort can support the 120hz). But now I needed an adapter that would also support the 120hz. So I picked up the best one I could, which should theoretically work at my resolution at 120hz. I currently have it running at 60hz with zero problems, but we'll have to wait and see what happens when I get my new system built and can push it at 120hz.
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
No, not really. Unless the game sets a hard limit (which some do), then 120hz should be viable. Most games these days will allow 120hz. The companies are getting better at not setting artificial caps for gamers these days.

This will be my first venture into 120hz territory, but I did tons of research prior to making the investment in equipment to make sure it was something I was interested in. It was extremely difficult to find good comparisons online since 120hz doesn't really translate well across internet media due to limited sizes. Most video's are well below 120hz which means any video comparison is mostly useless since it won't actually capture the true difference. The main advantage is smoother action and less jaggies due to the faster refresh rate. The disadvantage is that currently in order to get 120hz you have to use a TN panel instead of an IPS panel which has a better picture. You also need the horsepower to push 120hz to your monitor, which frankly is no small feat in the case of surround video.

I am starting with 2x 680 4gb cards when they become available in order to power my displays, but I expect I will still need to add at least one more card to that in order to get the desired results. On a single monitor this could probably be done with just a single video card. There are other complications I had to resolve as well in order to go this route, so it's not for the faint of heart as the price alone would give you a heart attack . Since all 3 of my monitors are DVI and the 680 only includes two DVI ports, I need to run a DisplayPort adapater (only the DVI and DisplayPort can support the 120hz). But now I needed an adapter that would also support the 120hz. So I picked up the best one I could, which should theoretically work at my resolution at 120hz. I currently have it running at 60hz with zero problems, but we'll have to wait and see what happens when I get my new system built and can push it at 120hz.
Your putting some serious video power together. I wish you the best of luck in attaining your goals. As for myself, i don't know what to do with my GTX 580. Maybe get an aftermarket cooler and OC is a bit? Any ideas?
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Your putting some serious video power together. I wish you the best of luck in attaining your goals. As for myself, i don't know what to do with my GTX 580. Maybe get an aftermarket cooler and OC is a bit? Any ideas?
If you are looking to increase performance you might want to look at buying a used 580 and setting up SLI. I imagine there are quite a few used 580's floating around these days at relatively cheap costs so people can upgrade to the 680.
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
If you are looking to increase performance you might want to look at buying a used 580 and setting up SLI. I imagine there are quite a few used 580's floating around these days at relatively cheap costs so people can upgrade to the 680.
This would require an investment in a 1000W+ PSU and i really dont want to fork out another $350 or more so i can use another 580. You wouldn't recommend getting aftermarket cooling for the 580 and OC it a bit?
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
This would require an investment in a 1000W+ PSU and i really dont want to fork out another $350 or more so i can use another 580. You wouldn't recommend getting aftermarket cooling for the 580 and OC it a bit?
You can certainly do that, personally I have never been a big fan of GPU overclocking but there are many that do.

Granted my GPU overclocking experience is limited, but I have generally found it's a lot of work, you put your most expensive components in your PC at risk, and ultimately the gain is very limited and typically not noticed in anything but benchmarks.
United States  Offline
Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Dil-tech
EA Ports

Quote:
You really don't need an after market cooler for the 580, they clock GREAT on the stock heatsink.

Also, just to follow up what everyone said, don't bother going 7970 from 580, it's around 20% or less of a difference between the two cards and you're only at 1080p anyway. We can't be too sure of what GW2 takes to max, but D3 will max out at that resolution even on a GTX 460.

In all honesty, even the GTX 680 wouldn't be a worth while upgrade either.
United States  Offline
Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
kow_ciller
A billion megahurtz

Quote:
Two 580s are perfectly fine on a 650w-750w PSU if it is of a solid build quality.

No need to buy a unnecessary power supply if you want a quick/easy upgrade.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply