EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Tech News & Press Releases > Back Page News (Submit News Here)
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #81
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
I agree, but the internet is not the only place this info is available, so nothing is lost. It's just more convenient.

True today, won't be for very long. Most of our information that we were able to reference and gather ourselves was gleaned from reading from encyclopedias.

Recently, the largest and most well known/trusted encyclopedia announced that they will be going out of print in favor of an online model: Encyclopedia Brittanica.

I would predict that in about 5-10 years time this will be true of most reference materials. What would happen to "society" then if all the available tomes of knowledge were only in bit and byte form and suddenly the plug were pulled?

Please keep in mind this is all hypothetical, and does not completely reflect my views about anything.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #82
b1lk1
Spiral out....

I really hope you don't believe that all reference material is from encyclopedia medium. Where do you think THEY get their information from? Encyclopedias are a reference for students, not the academics that do the work. This will just not happen.

There will always be a need for a hard copy of all reference material. It will not go away, and there is no way on Earth it will go away in 5-10 years. You have to stop thinking about it this way. The reason they do not want to print an Encyclopedia is pure cost driven. Do you realize the millions they will save and how much larger profits will be?

The internet is not going to survive in it's current form for too much longer once big business finally gets the government to turn it into pay-per-use like cable TV. Once that happens we will really see what our governments are made of.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #83
BigE4u
Anonymous

Enhace your calm...... things are going to happen wether we like it or not and if the internet dies, so be it.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #84
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbobb View Post
You guys love putting words in my mouth. Not a single time in this thread have I said "society will collapse." I even just read through it to make sure. I simply said this:

So let's see what the argument is.

Mr. Homo originally said the government does't care about the internet and that the FBI is "looking for something"

I said that I agree the government is looking for something, but disagreed that the government does care about the internet. My reason being? It would SLOW society down. Did I say die? Collapse? Cease to function? Plague the world?

Nope, I said: Slow. IF you disagree with that statement you are ******ed. Plain and simple.

BTW: Not picking on you b1lk1... just pointing out how some old people have changed the context of what I have been saying. It's hard to keep reading a thread after someone has torn apart and changed what someone else has said and continue remember what was originally stated. I originally agreed and had a minor disagreement.... It's either Mr. Homo's way or no way.
What's with all this 'old people' BS, and what's with calling me a homo?
Grow up you putz.
And since b1lk1 pretty much agrees with both mindwarp and myself, and we're all roughly the same age, I would say you have something personal against myself and mindwarp then.....since you state you're not picking on b1lk1. Good! I like a line in the sand.
See you around I'm sure. Go home now sonny, your mommies calling you.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #85
The Dude
Caring=Sharing

I know I'm jumping into a fire here, and haven't been part of this thread for awhile, however;

I'd say that society has suffered due to the internet as much as it has been bettered. When I used to go out to bars clubs and the like there would be lots of people hanging out together and talking, sharing ideas / ideologies, arguing, agreeing with each other... Now there's normally a bunch of people staring at 3"X4" glowing screens with a beer in the other hand. It's soooooo boring.

I want one of those cell phone scramblers. I am a proud owner of a slider phone with no data service on my plan. I could hardly imagine the horror of a smartphone. Most days I long for my two way pager. It cost $10 a month and was all the mobile communication anyone could really need.

On the other hand online shopping is great and can save a bunch of money. Immediate sharing of information has given motivated people the power to unite against oppression. I have expanded my knowledge and understanding of the world, science, and humanity through the internet. It also provides entertainment and free pron.

The world would probably be a better place without it, after a short while. But would also be limited in it's loss.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #86
Zanex09
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
free pron.
Thats why i love my interwebs. Early mornings in the bathroom, middle of the days during lunch time, a quickie before supper and then at night in bed with the wife
Canada  Offline
Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #87
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I really hope you don't believe that all reference material is from encyclopedia medium. Where do you think THEY get their information from? Encyclopedias are a reference for students, not the academics that do the work. This will just not happen.

There will always be a need for a hard copy of all reference material. It will not go away, and there is no way on Earth it will go away in 5-10 years. You have to stop thinking about it this way. The reason they do not want to print an Encyclopedia is pure cost driven. Do you realize the millions they will save and how much larger profits will be?

The internet is not going to survive in it's current form for too much longer once big business finally gets the government to turn it into pay-per-use like cable TV. Once that happens we will really see what our governments are made of.
I love when people read absolutes when none are given. I never said ALL, and I certainly never stated anything about where the encyclopedias gathered their material from. I simply stated that encyclopedias are where most of us gleaned information that we required before the advent of the internet. Of course this isn't counting all the other reference material that you could get the information from as well, I was giving a small sample to jump from.

Yes, Encyclopedia Britannica is out of print now due to the cost, the cost that wasn't being covered anymore because people weren't buying the tomes. Which is related to the prevalence of technology that is internet connected and is all around us. If you don't believe that all reference material is being converted to digital format and will be the format of choice for the next 5 to 10 years then I feel for you. Schools in my area are giving iPads to students with their curriculum of books on them to use instead of issuing books. And I'm not talking about just universities; it's all up and down the school systems, from Elementary up through High Schools. It's already taking place.
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #88
b1lk1
Spiral out....

Reference material may be getting transcribed digitally, but there are no reliable enough sources that ANY school should be using them as fact. Wikipedia is not trustworthy enough and Google is too busy selling us to the government to be trustworthy.

Schools should NOT be going digital yet. Schools in poor/racial neighborhoods will be forgotten and left behind besides the fact of how the hell is a bankrupt country like the US supposed to pay for all this new technology?

We need to stop/reverse this trend of making the internet so important, especially for school. Putting everything online just gives the government another layer of control over something vitally important to our daily lives.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #89
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Reference material may be getting transcribed digitally, but there are no reliable enough sources that ANY school should be using them as fact. Wikipedia is not trustworthy enough and Google is too busy selling us to the government to be trustworthy.

Schools should NOT be going digital yet. Schools in poor/racial neighborhoods will be forgotten and left behind besides the fact of how the hell is a bankrupt country like the US supposed to pay for all this new technology?

We need to stop/reverse this trend of making the internet so important, especially for school. Putting everything online just gives the government another layer of control over something vitally important to our daily lives.
Not sure how schools are financed in Canada, but tax payers obviously pay the local towns and finance schools that way. Obviously there are also private schools and Magnet schools which are financed by other means.

And I wasn't saying that Wikipedia and Google are the main sources of their materials; what I had said was, and I am quoting it verbatim is :
Quote:
Schools in my area are giving iPads to students with their curriculum of books on them to use instead of issuing books.

Take that as you will. I agree that Google and Wikipedia should not be used as general reference materials for your day-to-day school work, but both work fine as materials to use (in conjunction with other materials of course) for projects and what not that you will be assigned while in school.

All I am doing is trying to point out that things are being transferred to a digital format currently and it's progressing in that direction quicker than you may think. Additionally, with the huge push to move everything to the "Cloud" (of which, I am against. I will always have a computer with plenty of local storage as long as I am able to source the hardware for it) this will be more and more of an issue in the future.
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #90
Vampire80
A whole new world

Kids should be getting taught by teachers not the internet. Internet to me is something casual and fun nothing more.
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #91
chadbobb
w00t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire80 View Post
Kids should be getting taught by teachers not the internet. Internet to me is something casual and fun nothing more.
I haven't bought a textbook for a class in 2 years....

Why spend $100-$300 on a textbook when I can get the same material for free from the internet?

Every now and then I make my way to the library to check out a book for a class to verify some stuff. But that is all, no reason to own most of the books we use anymore.

Additional Comment:

Quote:

one could easily argue that it takes away a layer of control. Right now the curriculum for all public schools is chosen and decided on by the department of education. Textbooks are written and distributed by the publishers based entirely on the curriculum the government requires to be taught. In high school I notice how very biased a text book was, and how little extra info there was. We were able to follow it to the T to meet the guidelines set by the state. If we wanted to go further (and a few of my teachers did, which is good imo) we went to the internet and library. Even in the 2004-2007 range we used the computers in the library for probably 80% of our "extra" and books maybe 20%

The internet has much more info on it that the bare minimum our textbooks require.

And if you don't agree that textbooks have the bare minimum, look up how much influence Texas has on textbooks. When they changes their state guidelines, the textbooks across the country often follow suit. There was a big controversy over this not too long ago. read here

Not that I think your wrong, but textbooks are very government controlled.

Last edited by chadbobb : 05-04-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #92
b1lk1
Spiral out....

I am not arguing that this transfer is happening in blinding speed, I am just stating my disgust over it and how it just takes that much more hard copies of facts out of our hands to be manipulated later on by bad people.

Same goes for textbooks. I just don't like the idea of an internet based school. Way to easy to defraud such a system. The internet is just not secure enough to trust with stuff like this.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #93
Tomek
Just Monkeying Around

I'm following what you're saying. Material on the internet can be changed quicker than in a text books.

That does not change the fact both hard and soft copies are, always were, and always will be, controlled by governing bodies.

To me they are simply difffernet mediums for information. One saves trees, is less costly, and easier to access.

Yes, I agree it would be nice if there were always a revision history of the soft copy stuff.

All too easy to burn virtual books...
Canada  Offline
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #94
overclockerx
postin irelevant Info

**** I clicked detect

well, not infected.

Lets hope the FBI likes squid pron.

Additional Comment:

also I work at a magazine for a big non food supermarket.

If the internet went out for a day it means none of the stores receive supplies because it's so intertwined.

If the internet went flat for 2 days the stores would be empty.

We'd have to rely on military providing food if the internet goes down.

Last edited by overclockerx : 05-05-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Netherlands  Online
Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #95
b1lk1
Spiral out....

Stores empty after 2 days? Are you serious? I sure hope not. Even in the middle of nowhere where I live there would be food for weeks. Might not be the best choices left, but there would be food.

If we couldn't get around internet disappearing then that is natural selection culling the herd. Period.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #96
overclockerx
postin irelevant Info

Quote:
Stores empty after 2 days? Are you serious? I sure hope not. Even in the middle of nowhere where I live there would be food for weeks. Might not be the best choices left, but there would be food.

If we couldn't get around internet disappearing then that is natural selection culling the herd. Period.
Without internet the whole resupply network is knocked out.

The whole stock management is done on a networking cloud.

plus if **** hits the fan people will hamster food, gasoline and liquor.

Where I live the 3 supermarkets have enough food to supply the whole town for like 3 days max. After that restocking is needed.
Netherlands  Online
Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #97
BasketballJones
Up in Smoke

I wonder how long it would take for someone to pick up a phone and place their order? That is how it was done in pre historic times.

Also, vendors do a lot of the stocking in supermarkets. They have their scheduled days to magically appear, put stuff in their place, and leave. If the net went down, things would be done on paper and the transformation back to paper would happen pretty quickly if $$$ were involved.

The net isn't going anywhere and I am not letting Uncle Sam scan my computer. I don't trust the ba$tard.

Last edited by BasketballJones : 05-06-2012 at 07:02 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #98
b1lk1
Spiral out....

I truly hope you people that believe that the internet going down would end civilization as we know it. I mean seriously, you really believe we could not go back to actually talking to people instantly? Last I checked a phone call would get you in touch with another person, the only problem is that you know have to physically talk to them.

Internet would stop food, f-ing laughable.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #99
chadbobb
w00t!

Quote:
I truly hope you people that believe that the internet going down would end civilization as we know it. I mean seriously, you really believe we could not go back to actually talking to people instantly? Last I checked a phone call would get you in touch with another person, the only problem is that you know have to physically talk to them.

Internet would stop food, f-ing laughable.
Please re-read the thread.
United States  Offline
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #100
chadbobb
w00t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3BendeR View Post
After reading post my post, it seems every1 is arguing the same thing from a different angle. Let's focus on the real problem-regulation/profit/greed/control.

K, so the interweb is nothing w/o users can we agree? If the users quit then the whole term internet is moot. To answer the whole "infastructure" arguement I'm saying that only a fool puts all their eggs in one basket-unc Sam AINT no fool young one. In other words we are the internert-WE ARE. Please look up the definitions of terms before spamming them across the world. I've seen some disrespect here and it's unwarranted. "Anything said can and will be used against us". It's part of existence that as intellectuals we always read between lines and words-so post at your own discretion because people may interpret the meanings of your writ quite differently then intended if ambiguity is allowed. I'm simply trying to subside the arguing and re-instill constructive thought; God knows we need that now more than ever. Even though, to a certain extent, arguing is progressive as the truth lives freely there. Keep it from becoming personal because only negativity erupts when we point our finger-usually four fingers are pointing back at the pointer any ways
On to facts:
We all pay into the web and our govt's (or nwo pick ur poison) gets paid from what we pay into including but not limited to tax. Why do you think they make YOU think YOU're society-not the totality of existence which it isn't-is based on the interweb, net, www, or however it's addressed? Because then they control your mind like this chadbobb character who swears "society" but not himself(what a laugh!) will be adversely affected by the web "shutting down" can't read much, huh?????. His "world" IS based off the web even though he is oblivious to the fact that the world or society for that matter is perfectly stable on many accords, right now, w/o the internet. While other more "mature and stable individuals" know that the web is indeed NOT NECESSARY for DAILY LIFE-PERIOD. There are forms and machines to print these forms that in no way shape or form require the web to operate-yes the distribution would slow down but surely never stop we own vehicles and other modes of transport, the POTS(Plain old telephone system), and a thing called "visiting" which requires you to manually operate yourself and change locations to interact-AMAZING HUH!? Govy wants control because now they are users of it. Remember the internet is nothing but a term for "sharing" and the "govt's" don't want people sharing freely or they base it on "theft" that it needs to be regulated. Let me ask you a question: "You think that's air you're breathing now?" jkjk couldn't resist the slight Matrix plug 'cuz um...we're letting them wrap one around us-ALLOWING IT!
As for education: Home schooling may prove better than a govn't owned curriculum-but what entity will respect that education as viable for workforce placement or continual education? Back to the Matrix. We just need to step up as people and address our Leaders or lack thereof because for many decades and my ENTIRE LIFE injustice and deceit have flooded the mind of our legislature. It's about time we realize that's it our own fault for being goaded to laziness, convenience, and submission. And the handful of us not compromised are having a harder time "helping" the "chadbobbs" because the "system" is in overdrive. restructure now while we can we; this is our "Land" in here and they need to respect that-"they" know who "they" are.
You said a whole lot of nothing, and showed that you, too, cannot read.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply