EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
spyda05
borg...borg...borg

P4 worth it?

Talking about the old Pentium4's with HT. Are they still worth folding on? The company I work for has a stack of 15 or so desktops sitting in a storage room and I just wanted to know if it would be worth my trouble setting them up as a farm. I konw I need permission and all that jazz. Just deciding if its worth the trouble.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
901-Memphis
Santa Hat!

The amount of electricity they consume for how much ppd they put out makes them a poor choice. Although they would get something, i would recommend against it. Your looking at what, 150 watts to produce very low ppd?

But then again , points are points if thats what your going for. I would guess <200 PPD Per cpu. I see a 2.8 ghz P4 with no ht getting 110 per day, but looking further into it i see a higher clocked unit running SMP getting 500 PPD, seems a little high to me.

All depends on how you feel about electricity

Keep in mind this is a day and age where tens of thousands of ppd can be put out by more powerful setups with multicore processors and high end GPUs. At some point you have to figure that you could sell all the rigs for cash and build 1 Intel i5 right with a gpu client that would smash all 10 of those rigs.
United States  Offline
Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
PatonB
Folder

Honewstly, as said above consumed electricity and exhausted heat make it really bad choice, and yes work is work, but if you put that consumed electricity cost into a c2d/q or even an i3/5 you'll come out ahead just from power savings to run AND cool your home.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
spyda05
borg...borg...borg

I figured as much. I remember back in the day when I was getting like 800PPD on my 4Ghz P4 Prescott. That thing was champ!

Is GPU folding the way to go now? I know GPUs do some calculations 10x faster than a CPU. Is it these calculations that F@H uses therefor making CPU folding pretty pointless?
United States  Offline
Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

Some types of workload are only done on GPUs from what I understand. With a 4p (48-64 core) system, you can produce in the range of 300K to 500K ppd. You can't touch those points for the same amount of watts 550-700 and gpu. So it depends on what science you are interested in or what points you are interested in.
United States  jimh425 Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
spyda05
borg...borg...borg

I guess what I am really asking is would it be better to let those systems run something else like Seti (provided I am actually able to use them)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh425 View Post
With a 4p (48-64 core) system, you can produce in the range of 300K to 500K ppd.
A what? Ive seen people talk about 2p and 4p but have no idea what they are. I realize Im out of the loop somewhat but how do you get a 64 core system?? Or even 48 for that matter?
United States  Offline
Old 05-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
PatonB
Folder

2p = 2 processer 4p= 4 processers

Server grade setups using xeons and opteron cpus.
Canada  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply