EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > nVidia

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Aftermarket cooling for GTX 580

I have a EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB video card and i am looking to do a little overclocking on it, but i am afraid that the stock cooler might not be good enough. I was wondering if some of you could tell me about my options on getting it overclocked and which coolers would be good to invest in.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRxEVOx View Post
I have a EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB video card and i am looking to do a little overclocking on it, but i am afraid that the stock cooler might not be good enough. I was wondering if some of you could tell me about my options on getting it overclocked and which coolers would be good to invest in.
Stock cooler is a vapor chamber cooler and actually does quite well. Only way you can really improve on it is to move to a water cooling solution.

I believe Arctic Cooling might have an aftermarket cooler for it, but you need to look at gains per dollar spent. Will probably be a little quieter, but that's at the expense of it dumping all that hot air into your case rather than routing it out the back like the stock cooler.
Corsair H60 - Stock fan, stock block. Fan is mobo controlled.
G.Skill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL 4x4GB @ Stock

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series 800W
Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 & ASUS GTX780 Direct CU II OC in SLI
Acer XB270HU (Primary) & QNIX QX2710 (Secondary)
Klipsch Promedia 5.1 ULTRA on ASUS Xonar DX
OCZ Vector 512GB, 2x Samsung 830 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB, WD Caviar GP 1.5TB, OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
G15/R.A.T. 7

Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

You can overclock it substantially with the stock cooler, but, you'll have to turn up the fan a good bit which will sound like a jet engine. If you don't mind the noise, the stock cooler is sufficient for a 10%+ OC

HTPC:

We named our server racks at work to correspond with "evil" locations such as Death Star, Romulus, and Mordor.
I placed our FTP server in Mordor solely so I can use the phrase "One does not simply FTP into Mordor"

Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

How much would I gain if I add another gtx 580?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
retslag1
Need help?

what do you mean? I put watercooling on mine, and it loads 100% at stock at 40 degrees C. I would suggest the same for you if you want to push it to the max
Graphics: EVGA GTX 580 watercooled
PSU: ENERMAX MODU87+ EMG700AWT 700W
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by retslag1 View Post
what do you mean? I put watercooling on mine, and it loads 100% at stock at 40 degrees C. I would suggest the same for you if you want to push it to the max
What im saying is that should i invest into another 580?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

A second Nvidia GPU will typically give you roughly 90% performance. If it is going to be worthwhile for you depends on several factors...

1. What resolution are you currently running at. A single monitor might benefit some if you are trying to run a 120hz setup, but if you are only at 60hz at say 1920x1080 resolution, then you are probably already at or near the 60hz refresh rate with the 580.

2. How much memory are you currently using. The 580's have 1.5gb's of VRam. If you are running a single monitor this is probably ok, but if you are running a multi-monitor setup this probably isn't really enough, especially at max settings. The problem with this is adding a second card won't help if this is an issue for you as each card needs to contain all of the information, so even with 4 cards your effective memory is still only 1.5 even though technically you have 6gb's of memory between all 4 cards. The only way to increase memory would be by buying a new card that includes more. 680 currently has 2gb which is only a minor improvement, the 7970 has 3gb's which isn't too bad, though there are some 680's expected soon that will include 4gb's of memory, which is the highest seen to date.

3. What is your budget. Running multiple gpu's may not be financially viable right now, especially if your PSU isn't up to snuff and you have to buy a new PSU as well in order to meet power requirements.

Anyways, just a few things to think about. If you are happy with your current setup, I would probably wait for the 685 later this year before upgrading.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
DRxEVOx
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage67 View Post
A second Nvidia GPU will typically give you roughly 90% performance. If it is going to be worthwhile for you depends on several factors...

1. What resolution are you currently running at. A single monitor might benefit some if you are trying to run a 120hz setup, but if you are only at 60hz at say 1920x1080 resolution, then you are probably already at or near the 60hz refresh rate with the 580.

2. How much memory are you currently using. The 580's have 1.5gb's of VRam. If you are running a single monitor this is probably ok, but if you are running a multi-monitor setup this probably isn't really enough, especially at max settings. The problem with this is adding a second card won't help if this is an issue for you as each card needs to contain all of the information, so even with 4 cards your effective memory is still only 1.5 even though technically you have 6gb's of memory between all 4 cards. The only way to increase memory would be by buying a new card that includes more. 680 currently has 2gb which is only a minor improvement, the 7970 has 3gb's which isn't too bad, though there are some 680's expected soon that will include 4gb's of memory, which is the highest seen to date.

3. What is your budget. Running multiple gpu's may not be financially viable right now, especially if your PSU isn't up to snuff and you have to buy a new PSU as well in order to meet power requirements.

Anyways, just a few things to think about. If you are happy with your current setup, I would probably wait for the 685 later this year before upgrading.
Ok thank you for your time and knowledge. I guess i will wait cause the GTX 580 is still a very powerful graphics card even by todays standards.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

ya, if I had a 580, I probably wouldn't be upgrading this round.