EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Project / Build Logs
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
noobsterlou
Learning To Overclock

New Build, need help

It's been awhile, about 4 years now since I've built or even followed the pc hardware world.

main question-
Basically, are we at the end of an architecture and is the beginning of a new one coming soon that i should wait for? I'd rather buy mid-ranged on a brand new architecture then buying high end on and old one about to die.

Currently running
vista- my main problem
intel e6600?? can't even remember. (lga 775) 3.0ghz 2cores
nvidia 8800gtx 512
4gig ddr 3 1600 ram
gigabyte motherboard, cream of the crop when it came out, again i don't remember

I'm really thinking about a new build, have some extra cash and am wondering what the new deal is. I'm good on graphic cards and memory knowledge but what is the best CPU- bang for buck right now. Best overclocker?

I am considering going back to amd for there customer appreciation, intel may have the fastest parts but that company really does suck. I can't even buy a quad core for my lga 775 anymore. Prices never even went down, they just disappeared.

Anyways, I'm getting random reboots, random crashes, had nothing but problems with vista since i've gotten it. I am considering just replacing the OS as the components are still good, although I could use another graphics card. I run all games on max, the age is really starting to show with this pc.

so, lga 1155 seems to be the most averaged price for intel, haven't even looked into amd yet. whats this 2011 socket? and i did read that ddr 4 will be available sometime in 2013, i may just wait until then if this is the case.

any recommendations would be appreciated
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

2500k was the best bang for the buck, but last week Ivy bridge cpu's were released. They seem to be running much hotter than sandy bridge cpus. (thus possibly limiting oc)

I have been busy moving 1/4 of the way around the planet in the pat week and havent had the time yet to really look into the new cpus in detail yet.

I was going to wait a couple weeks after members have had their hands on the new cpu's to decide which way to go.

on another note, Id be suspicious of a bad psu as your problem, though as a gaming system, it sounds like you need a complete overhaul anyway.

Additional Comment:

another member linked a bunch of reviews, but I havent done anything but glance at the andanatech one

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=362784

Last edited by prudhomb : 05-05-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
noobsterlou
Learning To Overclock

thanks man, i appriciate it. I should have stated are any new sockets coming out soon though. I completely forgot to even state the question. See, i bought lga 775 6 months before the new lga 1155, etc, came out. I'm not trying to do that again. You've helped though, very much. I'll research the socket thing and see what timing i'm facing.

My pc, random reboots- it doesn't appear to be the power supply, i have an Antec 750w, brand new when bought. This problem was immediately after building. It seemed to be my nvidia drivers at first, when they were corrected the problem went away. later on I had OS update issues where the problem would come on again.

I am not running certified memory for my build but i still don't think that is the problem as I upgraded that about 1yr after the fact. The random reboots are an intermittent problem coming and going.

I swear it's vista, or the devil screwing with me. I'm going to change to windows 7 here soon and replace the heatsink on my cpu.

The cpu heatsink- i broke the **** push pins when trying to first apply it and if had to improvise. If I take it off it is staying off for good. I have a funny feeling I'm over heating at this point. I smoke right next to the pc and it is filled with dust. Canned air does not do the trick.

And sorry for posting this under new build, I didn't mean to point this towards a random rebooting problem, I meant to build new but I think I'm going to try the OS, new heat sink first, and some major cleaning.

I meant for this pc to last 5 yrs, it has lasted 4, so I'm ready very soon for an upgrade. I'll be back with specific components on a new thread here when I find the time to research. thanks
United States  Offline
Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
aaron86
Learning To Overclock

One of our office computer did that once their was too much dust on my memory quick cleaning of the computer fixed the problem
Canada  Offline
Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
pckid9234
Extreme Overclocker

if you think its over heating... download temp monitoring, core temp will prob be fine
United States  Offline
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
DrGuns4Hands
Come on Piledriver

In short Ivy is the end of 1155 expect to see the new 1150 socket for haswell and presumably broadwell. My god do I hate you Intel. AMD is supposed to be getting rid of AM3 after Piledriver as well so I guess I can't complain too much but at least AMD keeps the socket for more than 2 years.
United States  DrGuns4Hands Folds For EOC!  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply