EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us


Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Off Topic / General Chat (No Post Increase) > Games, Games, Games... > Massively Multiplayer Online

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
GoodGuy8705
Overclocking Machine
Senior Member
 
GoodGuy8705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 543
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Elder Scrolls Online Announced

TES Online has been announced and is expected to launch some time next year.

Based on the information available, it's a generic fantasy mmo that takes place in TES lore more than it is a multiplayer TES game.

Unfortunately, it seems it's not going to be very good.
__________________
***** ** * ***** **********
Offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser
Senior Member
 
Nagoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Drummondville QC
Age: 26
Posts: 10,366
iTrader: 20 / 100%
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=362992
__________________

New school!: 2500K @ 4.9 1.425v // Z68XP-UD3P
2x2GB G.Skill ECO 1600 7-8-7-24 // XFX HD6950 2GB
XFX 650W Core // Apogee XT + 19" x 30 passes condenser heatsink/4 fans + MCP655-B // CM Stacker 830/red Sickleflows
Force 3 60GB/300GB Velo/320GB AAKS/1TB 7200.12

Old school high-tea-pea-sea: E8500 @ 4322MHz (455x9.5) // P5Q Pro
2x2GB HyperX 1066 5-5-5-15 @ 1092 // HIS 6670 1GB
Antec HCGamer 620W // TT DuOrb + CM 360 // 1TB 7200.12

White netbook with an Apple sticker on it: Gateway LT2106h // Atom N450 1.67GHz // 1GB RAM 667 5-5-5-15
GMA 3150 // 10.1 LED 1024x600 // 80GB 7200.4 // W7 Ult
Offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
GoodGuy8705
Overclocking Machine
Senior Member
 
GoodGuy8705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 543
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Should be in the game section on account of it being about a game.
__________________
***** ** * ***** **********
Offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Amish
Amish Hit Man
Senior Member
 
Amish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Riverside, CA
Age: 43
Posts: 799
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Why will it not be any good? (Responding to your statement above.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy8705 View Post
Unfortunately, it seems it's not going to be very good.
__________________
EK-Supreme HF - Full Nickel - Rev 2 // Swiftech MCP655-B // Danger Den Reservoir // XSPC RX480 Quad 120mm Radiator // Bitspower True Silver & Enzotech fittings // Danger Den Active UV Hose // (4x) Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan, 1850 RPM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
MSI P67A-GD65 B3
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 -8GB- (4GBx2)
Zotac GTX 980
Creative X-Fi to Harmon/Kardon 3490
Corsair HX1000i PSU
Windows 8.1
Samsung Series 6000 40" LED LCD
Offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
daredevil
Captain Teemo
Senior Member
 
daredevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: England
Age: 28
Posts: 1,843
iTrader: 2 / 100%
http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#0

Info hoooo
__________________
Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S Gaming 7
EVGA GTX Titan X | 16GB Corsair Vengance 2400
Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 | Sound Blaster Z
Acer XB280HK 4K Gsync | NZXT Kraken X61
Corsair TX850W | Coolermaster HAF X
Offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
GoodGuy8705
Overclocking Machine
Senior Member
 
GoodGuy8705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 543
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish View Post
Why will it not be any good? (Responding to your statement above.)
For me personally, I just wanted to play a Skyrim like game with a few friends. If I wanted an MMO experience, I'd go play any of the hundred MMO's currently available.

It's borderline impossible to retain the feel of TES games while incorporating the idea of third person, hot keyed skills.

To me, that is not a good game.
__________________
***** ** * ***** **********
Offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
CybrSlydr
Special Fish?
Moderator
 
CybrSlydr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Age: 32
Posts: 1,745
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy8705 View Post
Should be in the game section on account of it being about a game.
Or it should be in the news section because it's news?...
__________________


phoenix991 - He's in africa, it takes a while for those lions to run the pictures to the internets.
HUSKYFAN23 - It looks like an Asian person broke in and parked a bunch of rice in the garage
imshirazy - You guys gonna impress them with your overclock bench scores?
GoodGuy8705 - I was thinking my giant wiener.
Zollen - This sounds like the setup for the nerdiest pick-up line ever, '...so, can I upload anonymously onto your ftp server?'
Offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
PhilZJ
Overclocker
Senior Member
 
PhilZJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Floriduh
Age: 35
Posts: 860
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Ya I too wanted to play this multiplayer with the wife, but not mmo style like guild wars.

Playing the full storyline but with her as my companion would have been very nice. But I would want all my mods available too, vanilla skyrim lost its appeal rapidly, but the mods I have still keep me going and I finished all the storyline, I'm just cruising for unexplored dungeons now.
__________________
current: Asus P8Z68-PRO, intel 2600k, CoolerMaster 212+, Mushkin RED 8GB, eVGA GTX980, Intel 320 160GB SSD, WD Black 1TB, X-fi fatality, Antec 182, Win 7 Ult. 64bit. Dell u2412m and Dell 2005FPW

laptop: Lenovo T430,intel i7 3520M, nvidia NVS 5400M 1GB, 16gb RAM, Samsung 830 SSD 256GB, Samsung 850 PRO 512GB, Ultimate-N 6300 AGN, 1600x900 display, few more upgrades like backlit keyboard, etc

MediaPC: HPdesktop i5 3570, 6gb Ram, 1TB and 2TB WesterDigital blue drives. Windows 7 Pro

Retired: P4P800 dlx, 2.8c, OCZ 2GB 400Mhz, Audigy2 ZS p., eVGA 7800GS, WD 250gb, XPpro
Offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
lexandro
VIGILO CONFIDO
Senior Member
 
lexandro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Age: 37
Posts: 1,060
iTrader: 0 / 0%
This is going to tank, and tank badly. Looks like Bethesda gave in to the whinging kiddies. Frankly its going to be just another generic MMO, and in the current gaming climate of MMO's its got absolutely no chance of making an impact.

Guild Wars 2 is due out, which is going to take a massive amount of any potential sales away from a TES mmo. Why? Because its free online, and players are sick of paying monthly fee's just to play a game. And its a **** good game, so the vast majority will go for it rather than a 2bit wannabe game.

Fail of the highest order imo.
__________________
Offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,231
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexandro View Post
This is going to tank, and tank badly. Looks like Bethesda gave in to the whinging kiddies. Frankly its going to be just another generic MMO, and in the current gaming climate of MMO's its got absolutely no chance of making an impact.

Guild Wars 2 is due out, which is going to take a massive amount of any potential sales away from a TES mmo. Why? Because its free online, and players are sick of paying monthly fee's just to play a game. And its a **** good game, so the vast majority will go for it rather than a 2bit wannabe game.

Fail of the highest order imo.
I disagree, it isn't going to take the sales away because it's free, it's going to take them away because it is a new and unique game, it isn't just another clone of wow. I think there are many people who would gladly pay to play GW2 if that was a requirement, though I think that not being a requirement is certainly a nice bonus.
__________________
Offline  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing
Senior Member
 
Urbanfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Whittier, CA
Age: 29
Posts: 6,386
iTrader: 17 / 95%
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexandro View Post
Why? Because its free online, and players are sick of paying monthly fee's just to play a game.
I know for a fact that the majority of MMO's I played were worth every penny when I played them. Take the cost of the game ($35-50), add in $15/month, and for a year an MMO can cost around $200. That $200 was WELL spent on entertainment. Very few games have genuine, long lasting replay value today.

I'm not saying GW2 won't be great or will be crap, I'm just saying that $15 a month is nothing when what you get out of it (with the right MMO) is loads of content, fun, and camaraderie with your buddies.
__________________
3570K @ 4.5GHz 1.15v ~ 16GB G.Skill 1600 8-8-8 ~ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
GTX 970 SLI
Crucial MX100 512GB ~ 840 EVO 250GB ~ PNY XLR8 240GB ~ Seagate 1 TB
OCZ ZX 850 ~ NZXT Kraken X60 ~ XCLIO Touch 787

G2130 ~ 4GB ~ EVGA Z77 FTW
7850 Crossfire
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB ~ Seagate 1 TB ~ Rosewill Capstone 750 ~ Corsair Carbide 540




Offline  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,231
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanfox View Post
I know for a fact that the majority of MMO's I played were worth every penny when I played them. Take the cost of the game ($35-50), add in $15/month, and for a year an MMO can cost around $200. That $200 was WELL spent on entertainment. Very few games have genuine, long lasting replay value today.

I'm not saying GW2 won't be great or will be crap, I'm just saying that $15 a month is nothing when what you get out of it (with the right MMO) is loads of content, fun, and camaraderie with your buddies.
$15 is a brand new game every 3 months. So if they expect us to be paying them $15 every month, then is it not reasonable for us to expect the content of a brand new game every 3 months?

I can tell you that basically none of the MMO's I have paid to play have ever offered the content of a brand new game every 3 months. If you're lucky you would get the content of a new game once every two years in most cases.

Am I upset about paying $15 a month to play, no it's not really that big a deal to me. However, I certainly also do not feel like I get my $15 worth of content each month either.
__________________
Offline  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing
Senior Member
 
Urbanfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Whittier, CA
Age: 29
Posts: 6,386
iTrader: 17 / 95%
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage67 View Post
$15 is a brand new game every 3 months. So if they expect us to be paying them $15 every month, then is it not reasonable for us to expect the content of a brand new game every 3 months?

I can tell you that basically none of the MMO's I have paid to play have ever offered the content of a brand new game every 3 months. If you're lucky you would get the content of a new game once every two years in most cases.

Am I upset about paying $15 a month to play, no it's not really that big a deal to me. However, I certainly also do not feel like I get my $15 worth of content each month either.
Every MMO I have played has had considerably more content than all the major single player games out there. I'd take 3 months of a quality MMO that holds my attention over buying ONE modern game.
__________________
3570K @ 4.5GHz 1.15v ~ 16GB G.Skill 1600 8-8-8 ~ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
GTX 970 SLI
Crucial MX100 512GB ~ 840 EVO 250GB ~ PNY XLR8 240GB ~ Seagate 1 TB
OCZ ZX 850 ~ NZXT Kraken X60 ~ XCLIO Touch 787

G2130 ~ 4GB ~ EVGA Z77 FTW
7850 Crossfire
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB ~ Seagate 1 TB ~ Rosewill Capstone 750 ~ Corsair Carbide 540




Offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #14
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!
Senior Member
 
sysigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 34
Posts: 1,068
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Great! another game ruined by 'online' play. FFS, MMO is not the way forward.

MMO's never feel immersive, they lack real story and character development, it's just go here, do this, go there do that, unlock a new power, team up with friends... bored.

I will always favour a classic offline RPG with character story development and relationships with the environment and it's virtual population.

For me a modern RPG should be like an immersive interactive movie.
__________________
OBSIDIAN.WC600v2 - BUILD LOG
Intel i7 4770K ~3.5GHz @ ~4.5GHz 1.267v HT & SS (delidded & watercooled)
ASUS Maximus VI Extreme Z87
Gainward GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 @ ~1035MHz / ~6008MHz (watercooled)
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 XMP Dominator Platinum @ ~1866MHz 9-10-9-27 1T
Corsair Obsidian 800D (/w bottom radiator modification)

FOLDING (Intel i7 3770 & PoV GTX 670):


Last edited by sysigy; 05-09-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
CybrSlydr
Special Fish?
Moderator
 
CybrSlydr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Age: 32
Posts: 1,745
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysigy View Post
Great! another game ruined by 'online' play. FFS, MMO is not the way forward.

MMO's never feel immersive, they lack real story and character development, it's just go here, do this, go there do that, unlock a new power, team up with friends... bored.

I will always favour a classic offline RPG with character story development and relationships with the environment and it's virtual population.
Hear, hear!
__________________


phoenix991 - He's in africa, it takes a while for those lions to run the pictures to the internets.
HUSKYFAN23 - It looks like an Asian person broke in and parked a bunch of rice in the garage
imshirazy - You guys gonna impress them with your overclock bench scores?
GoodGuy8705 - I was thinking my giant wiener.
Zollen - This sounds like the setup for the nerdiest pick-up line ever, '...so, can I upload anonymously onto your ftp server?'
Offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
Odanez
I am Jean Luc Bacardi
Senior Member
 
Odanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bavaria
Age: 31
Posts: 7,283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
Or it should be in the news section because it's news?...
or it should be in the "Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives & Flash Media" section because it comes on a DVD (or at least could be coming on a DVD)
__________________
Offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
PhilZJ
Overclocker
Senior Member
 
PhilZJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Floriduh
Age: 35
Posts: 860
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odanez View Post
or it should be in the "Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives & Flash Media" section because it comes on a DVD (or at least could be coming on a DVD)

should be in the monitor section cuz games run on monitors, otherwise you can't see them


anyways, from the looks of it, I'm definitly not interested in this. As long as they keep focus on the ES RPG games, I'm ok with this, but if this starts being their focus then I'll be pretty dissapointed
__________________
current: Asus P8Z68-PRO, intel 2600k, CoolerMaster 212+, Mushkin RED 8GB, eVGA GTX980, Intel 320 160GB SSD, WD Black 1TB, X-fi fatality, Antec 182, Win 7 Ult. 64bit. Dell u2412m and Dell 2005FPW

laptop: Lenovo T430,intel i7 3520M, nvidia NVS 5400M 1GB, 16gb RAM, Samsung 830 SSD 256GB, Samsung 850 PRO 512GB, Ultimate-N 6300 AGN, 1600x900 display, few more upgrades like backlit keyboard, etc

MediaPC: HPdesktop i5 3570, 6gb Ram, 1TB and 2TB WesterDigital blue drives. Windows 7 Pro

Retired: P4P800 dlx, 2.8c, OCZ 2GB 400Mhz, Audigy2 ZS p., eVGA 7800GS, WD 250gb, XPpro
Offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing
Senior Member
 
Urbanfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Whittier, CA
Age: 29
Posts: 6,386
iTrader: 17 / 95%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysigy View Post
MMO's never feel immersive, they lack real story and character development, it's just go here, do this, go there do that, unlock a new power, team up with friends... bored.
SWTOR is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you described. Other than that, I agree with you.
__________________
3570K @ 4.5GHz 1.15v ~ 16GB G.Skill 1600 8-8-8 ~ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
GTX 970 SLI
Crucial MX100 512GB ~ 840 EVO 250GB ~ PNY XLR8 240GB ~ Seagate 1 TB
OCZ ZX 850 ~ NZXT Kraken X60 ~ XCLIO Touch 787

G2130 ~ 4GB ~ EVGA Z77 FTW
7850 Crossfire
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB ~ Seagate 1 TB ~ Rosewill Capstone 750 ~ Corsair Carbide 540




Offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
vai0
<><
Senior Member
 
vai0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 24
Posts: 3,005
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanfox View Post
SWTOR is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you described. Other than that, I agree with you.
Thats exactly how it felt to me...


regarding a TES MMO, 99% chance its as bad as every other MMO.
Offline  
Sponsored Links:
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2016, EXTREME Overclocking