EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Business Related (No Post Increase) > Online Shopping
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
SCOLANATOR
Kooler King

Looking for a 40"+ TV

Hey,

Got about 550 to spend (max) and been looking around online for the best TV I can get for that money.

Currently I'm looking at this Samsung, can get it plus a 5 year warranty for 550. UE40ES5500

But would be happy with Panasonic or LG. Will mainly be using it for gaming.
Not so sure about plasma, was thinking more along the lines of on that's LED backlit. WiFi and 3D would be a plus.
~scol

Additional Comment:

OK hope maybe I can get some advice...
Narrowed it down to three - hopefully I can view them in the shops tomorrow to get a better idea.

Samsung UE40ES5500 - LED Backlit, 100Hz, Internet
Sony KDL-40EX723 - LED Edgelit, Active 3D, Internet
LG 42LW450U - LED, Passive 3D, Internet

~scol

Last edited by SCOLANATOR : 05-04-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Cecil
Fix The Internet

Skip LED, go Plasma. LED is LCD with issues, and Plasma is better then both if you can control the glare (which isnt bad on most modern ones today).
Samsung 450 and 550 series are great bang for buck.
United States  Offline
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
SCOLANATOR
Kooler King

Went with your advice Cecil so on Wednesday I'll be receiving an LG 50PA650T.
My mates have two identical 42" Panasonic Plasma's which they game on side by side which is kind of funny as one remote affects both TV's lol, but in terms of gaming I was very impressed, can't wait to have it all setup and see the picture quality (I'll probably rewatch my blu-ray collection). Any advice for calibrating the image or is it more down to personal preference?

Had to pay a bit more (680) and it doesn't come with any frills like 3D (looked cool in the store but let's be honest I will never use it) or smart functionality - which I would have liked but I can use my Xbox, PS3 or laptop to play on demand content so not a loss there.
It's from their new 2012 range so I'm hoping for excellent picture quality as that's is all that matters to me. It's a 50" plasma, full 1080P.
They tried to sell me a wall mount with it for 120 or so... found the same one on Amazon for 7.49 lol.
Will be saving up over the summer for a solid 5.1 system for it.
Can't wait to have it all setup in my new flat.
I'll post some pics when I have it setup (my current rented flat is tiny so have no idea where to put it).
~scol
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
DC
Is Dead Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Skip LED, go Plasma. LED is LCD with issues, and Plasma is better then both if you can control the glare (which isnt bad on most modern ones today).
Samsung 450 and 550 series are great bang for buck.
I thought LED was supposed to be superior to Plasma? Not questioning you Cecil, more so the press that's out there.

I went with the LED and can't complain, plus the lack of heat/power it generates is nice compared to some of the earlier plasma's my mates are running (Panasonic's - beautiful picture though).

Also - my mates have said the 3D sets actually produce a better 2D picture than traditional 2D's...any thoughts?
United States  Offline
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Cecil
Fix The Internet

3D sets dont have better 2D picture because of the 3D tech, its just because 3D is offered in the higher end sets with more options/settings/features that they have the best 2D pictures as well.

Most LEDs are edge lit which has bad uniformity issues, and off color. There are only a couple full LED sets, and they just arent worth the price when Plasma still has the best picture quality (though some will argue that projection is best as well, but thats another argument). LCD/LED doesnt have a dark enough black level to compete, or the uniformity of a Plasma, nor do they offer the size/price ratio.

If you have a fully light controlled room, then I would say go with a projector. If not or if you want a normal "TV", then Plasma is the way to go. I have a 106in pull down screen and a 92in fixed frame screen for my BenQ projector, and then have a Samsung PN59D550 and PN43E450.
United States  Offline
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
SCOLANATOR
Kooler King

The Samsung that I was going to get was LED backlit (not edge lit) but in the store the quality looked pretty poor. It may be due to a faulty connection or calibration but I didn't want to take the risk.
Found a Tannoy HTS101 5.1 system for 350 and a Sony reciever with fantastic reviews for 230 so can't wait to wire it all up for the ultimate experience.

Any advice on limiting the noise so I don't disturb all my neighbours?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
DC
Is Dead Tired

Depends if you like your neighbors or not. lol

Lets say my neighbors one day had a party till 4 am - so the next night I decided to watch Saving Private Ryan at 2am with my 12-inch sub up a bit more than normal! lol
United States  Offline
Old 05-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
SCOLANATOR
Kooler King

Lmao, I had a Creative gigaworks S750 setup before which was beyond loud.
Just a shame like every single one of them they produced it blew up lol.
Can't wait to get back into gaming with this!
~scol

Additional Comment:

I got the TV and I am very happy with it! Bought Avatar on bluray and the experience was incredible. I have honestly never seen a TV looking this good before. I was playing BF3 online with no detectable ghosting or lag. Girlfriend has been playing Rayman Origins on it (runs at full 1080P 60Hz) and even right up close you can barely make out the pixels.
Blacks look great, excellent response time, looks fantastic with the very thin bezel.

Even with the lack of smart tv functions and 3D it was still definetly worth the money as I know they invested it in the best possible screen.
Still allows me to watch movies from my external HDD or USB.

Speakers are good but once I have the 5.1 that wont matter.

Plus for every goal England scores in the Uefa cup I get 10 back (even though I hate football).

Got my wall mount for 7.49 and it's solid and should do a good job of holding up the TV.

The thing is massive, looked smaller in the store but glad I went with the plasma. Looking forward to after the exams to just game now :-P.

~scol

Last edited by SCOLANATOR : 05-12-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
leprechanmonkie
Red Rocket Red Rocket

I just recently got the polk monitor 60s for fronts, cs1 center and monitor 30s with a receiver I got for free. Simply amazing setup for the price. Don't know about availability in europe though
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
SCOLANATOR
Kooler King

How much was it?
So far I think the Sony receiver + Tannoy speakers will offer me the best bang for the buck with all the features I need. Had a look at the 94% reduced 7.49 mounting kit I ordered from Amazon and it is solid and has everything I need so very pleased with that! Now I just need to buy a flat lol.

One problem I've noticed is when I play online on my PS3 over the WiFi (about 2m from the router) I often get very poor signal, even when my iPhone and laptop receive a full and solid signal.
Annoying as hell as when I play BF3 online it d/c me because I 'Lost connection with the EA servers'. Hopefully using an ethernet cable will resolve the issue but quite irritating.
~scol
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
PommieB
Overclocker

Just thought I'd add a bit to the thread, having just one bought one of the latest 55 inch Sony backlit 3d led TV's. I've two flat panel TV's, a 42 inch Samsung Plasma, I actually decided to buy a Plasma, a Panasonic 55 inch Plasma, it was 600 bucks cheaper than the Sony, bought it got it set up and working, "burn in" like you wouldn't believe, they sold me the demo, because there were none of the same model available for a couple of months, the demo had been going for 24/7 for 6 months, the lines were like tram lines 3 1/4 inch wide top and bottom with noticeable color variation.

Anyway they swapped for Sony Bravia for the same price, I watch a lot of sport and both TV's had fantastic graphics in HD, the Panasonic a little better at lower resolutions, the differences between the two technologies is so slight, it's hardly noticeable and believe me I'm very picky.

The big difference, the LED is lighter, half the weight and uses half the power of the Plasma, sports, believe or not is brilliant on both TV's, the Panasonic had a usb wifi module supplied, it was inbuilt into the Sony, without the obvious burn in on the Plasma, I would have had no complaints. Weight and power is the biggest downfall on Plasmas, I couldn't even lift the Plasma, the LED, no problems at all.

From what I heard about LED TV's and Sport, I was concerned it might not be very good, couldn't tell, the different, they both handled it brilliantly. Both TV's are made to work well with computers, I run a media player so I haven't yet tried the WiFi or the computer.

The only thing that miffed me a bit with the Sony, the instructions are inbuilt and were not supplied in booklet form except for a single sheet showing you how to press on/off button, had to download and print out the PDF on the laser, well at least the instructions will never get lost.

The blacks were identical, I couldn't tell any difference, had the Panasonic for two weeks while negotiations took place.

Last edited by PommieB : 06-14-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Australia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply