EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
~Dad
Extreme Overclocker

Trying to install Linux......

I'm going to install Linux (prob Ubuntu) on an old 17 inch Toshiba laptop with a dual core Celeron at 1.7 G. I down-loaded Ubuntu to a thumb drive, only to fine the Toshiba wouldn't accept a USB boot. No problem...., I'll down load to a CD. Apparently, that s/b CDs, as in the plural. Will the whole install fit on a single DVD? I'll pick up a pack on my way home today.

Before I pull the trigger on this install though, let me beg a bit of advice. This rig has a 10 y/o copy of Fedora on it, an enterprise edition at that I'm told it's BIG and SLOW and a resource hog. I'm looking for something lighter because of the old processor. I also intend on installing either Xfce or LXDE as a desktop environment, as the owner knows nothing about Linux (nor do I) and needs a DE to use it.

I know everyone has their own favorite combination, but is there an obvious problem with this choice or an obviously better choice for this application? He's going to use it with a digital pad (Wacum) to draw with.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
AdamV
Green Machine

ubuntu is 753mb. Im assuming this is the max limit of a CD-R (700mb) and has to be put onto a DVD.

I honestly think any ubuntu version passed 10.10 is a hog and seems slow to me.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

The live CD is larger I believe. You need to go to the distro locations to get one without the live install.
United States  jimh425 Folds For EOC!  Online
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
~Dad
Extreme Overclocker

Thanks. Read all night and I think I'll do LUBUNTU. I thought about doing Ububtu Studio because it'd optimized towards the arts, but the source reported a lot of loose ends. It seems like much the same thing so shouldn't be too much of a chore to change if needed.

I've looked and read for the last week and still can't answer one question. Is there any Linux distro that, after initial setup, can run entirely from a desktop environment? If not, is there any distro and DE combination that is nearly able to do so?

I'll learn Linux, but fixing old machines for old people, I just don't think changing from Windows to any kind of CLI is going to work.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
lundrog
Turbo VMware Nerd.

opensuse is also a good option.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

Ubuntu and I think most desktop installs don't require any command line commands. I think Ubuntu has by far the largest number of titles in their downloadble software library. You download ui software for most functionality.

If you have a PC that is capable of virtualization, install virtual box and try a few distros. They only need about 8 GB to install, and the VMS can easily be deleted when you are finished trying them out.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
~Dad
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh425 View Post
If you have a PC that is capable of virtualization, install virtual box and try a few distros. They only need about 8 GB to install, and the VMS can easily be deleted when you are finished trying them out.

I've been thinking of doing just this. VMS is the name of the program or a class of programs? Essentially, I create a virtual system within my system? Like a sandbox? Any suggestions w/b appreciated!! I will learn CLI as well, but I'd like something that I could bring up and play with while I learn.
United States  Offline
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

VMS is a system but that isn't what I meant. I meant more than one vm (virtul machine). It is sandboxing or allowing one system to act like more than one.

Go to virtualbox.org, download, and install. Then, start it, they have a wizard that walks you through step by step to create/install a vm. I'm assuming you've already dowloaded an iso. You just need to point to that iso and follow instructions on the screen.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Stratman
Overclocker

I just installed Linux Mint 14 on my system, and so far I am liking it. I am doing a triple boot with Win 7, XP, and Mint. I was having no luck getting Mint to boot until I downloaded the new version of EasyBCD, then Mint booted up just fine.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply