EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > SFF & SBC Systems
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

OpenELEC or RASBMC for my new Pi?

Alright so I got my new RasPi Model B with 512MB ram.

Currently I am waiting on my 16GB class 10 SD card to show so I am using my 4GB class 4 card. I've installed RasMBC, whatever the latest version is. I am waiting on my Mpeg2 and VC1 licenses to be emailed.

I setup TV headend on RasMBC last night to work with my HDHomerun (non-prime) and it found all of my ATSC OTA channels. When I try to play them it chokes almost instantly. I suspect this is because I don't have anything to play an MPEG2 stream. One thing I do like is that AirPlay audio and video work great from my iPhone.

Now after some reading people have said OpenELEC builds are faster, more stable, and can add more features.

Can anyone weigh in? Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated.

I bought this soley as something to screw around with, I have a jailbroken AppleTV2 that runs XBMC and Plex for HTPC needs. And I also have a ROKU 2 XS running plex as well so the Pi may never make it all the way to the living room, but it is something fun to play with. If I can get a device that can handle streaming all of my movies/tv shows off of my NAS *and* play live TV from my HDHomerun *and* be easy to use and have high WAF (wife acceptance factor) then it might make the living room.

I'm also open to trying other projects with the Pi if anyone has any fun ideas.

Additional Comment:

No one? cmon man!

Last edited by kwiksilver : 02-12-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Urbanfox
Consigliere

I have no experience with the Pi, but I vote OpenELEC. Heard a lot of good things about it and it looks pretty darn interesting.
United States  Offline
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

My SD cards should be here today so I can use a couple of them to try different OSs.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
WordMasterRice
Caffeine Addict

I can't say anything specific to the RPi, however I run OpenELEC on 4 boxes in my house and it tends to be a lot more optimized, and a lot easier to setup/configure than the native XBMC offering. Big OpenELEC fan here.
United States  Offline
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

Well I installed my MPEG2 license last night and OpenELEC on my new card.

Then I enabled the TVHeadend plugin and connected it to my TVHeadend server (ubuntuVM), and it plays my TV shows from my HDHomerun, it'll stream 1080i/720P TV perfectly. It's a little jittery if I am running a background scan to check for media otherwise it's pretty good.

I'm impressed so far.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
WordMasterRice
Caffeine Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
Well I installed my MPEG2 license last night and OpenELEC on my new card.

Then I enabled the TVHeadend plugin and connected it to my TVHeadend server (ubuntuVM), and it plays my TV shows from my HDHomerun, it'll stream 1080i/720P TV perfectly. It's a little jittery if I am running a background scan to check for media otherwise it's pretty good.

I'm impressed so far.
Should just setup a MySQL instance for media and have a dedicated RPi as an XBMC media scraper. (It's what I use one of my jailbroken ATV2's for.)
United States  Offline
Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMasterRice View Post
Should just setup a MySQL instance for media and have a dedicated RPi as an XBMC media scraper. (It's what I use one of my jailbroken ATV2's for.)
I use plex for my JB ATV2 and for all of my other devices except the RPi.
Plex has a server that runs on one computer and it streams all of your media to all of your devices. There is a dev working on porting a plex client to RPi its in super early alpha.

I like plex for reasons that XBMC didn't used to have. It would mark media as watched across all of my devices. I could watch part of a show on one device and resume on another device. Now the MySQL dB option in XBMC allows for similar features.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
codegamer
Overclocker

Out of curiosity, How is that class 10 card doing? During the initial release most class 10's didn't work. And the ones that did were not able to use their full speed (hardware limits)

Owner of one of the original 10,000 batch with 256MB RAM, Using Raspbmc and have zero issues streaming and playing 1080p.

EDIT: and do you remember this? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
I'll take the $99 lol, people actually develop for the aTV 2. There are millions of people with them and that means you will see more application support for them.

These hobby devices are cool and fun don't get me wrong but I don't see this thing getting popular. (Though I could be wrong)

Last edited by codegamer : 02-22-2013 at 04:51 PM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply