EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Memory
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

Mushkin or GSkill

Time to upgrade my memory to 8GB sticks for a total of 32GB. I absolutely love my Mushkin ridgebacks currently installed, they clock upwards of 2600 MHz on really good timings as long as I just keep feeding them volts. I have gone higher but its well out of my comfort range.

But a while back I built a system for a friend and we decided to go with a slightly cheaper memory the GSkill sniper series and the clocked really well with great timings for the short time of my exposure.

This puts me in a pickle for my new build, In my opinion Mushkin makes some of the highest quality memory ever used and the heatsinks attached have great thermal but are large. The G-Skills might be on par and have become extremely popular as well though.

So below are the two kits. The system specs they will be placed in will be posted after.

G-SKill Sniper -- DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Timing 9-10-9-28
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231627

Mushkin Enhanced Redline Ridgeback -- DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Timing 9-9-9-27
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226383

Liquid Cooled System: ( Most likely will not put the memory under liquid)
AMD FX8350
Asus 990FX Sabertooth
ATI XFX7950
2xCrucial M4 128GB SSDs
2xWD 640GB Black
Enermax Revo85+ 1020W
Etc

Thoughts between the two or other recommends?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
901-Memphis
Santa Hat!

If I wasn't factoring in overclocking I would get the girls skills with the same speed and timings at a much better price, but running 4 sticks could complicate your max ram overclock so maybe you should stick with the mushkin since they should respond better to voltage needed.

The ram list isn't fully updated but my best guess is they are both power chips with the mushkin being higher binned.
United States  Offline
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

Basically Mushkin hand picks the best memory and individually tests them, then makes sets to match each other, only the best get pumped out with the tag. I will be running 4 sticks your correct and provide a good point. I am unsure how the G-Skills will react to my liberal usage of voltage.
United States  Offline
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Get the Ridge back PC 14900s Run 1000mhz 1.5v NP all day every day.
United States  Offline
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

I actually decided for once to go against my own grain and buy Corsair memory, am buying the Dominator Platinum 1866. Well almost positive. I am still reviewing peoples overclocks and experiences. I can always default to the ridgebacks. I love my current ones.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORL View Post
I actually decided for once to go against my own grain and buy Corsair memory, am buying the Dominator Platinum 1866. Well almost positive. I am still reviewing peoples overclocks and experiences. I can always default to the ridgebacks. I love my current ones.
Well howz the Corsair Memory? I know they make good stuff! Get any OC going yet?
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

Nope. Havent even plugged them in yet lol. Still pushing my old Mushkins to their maxes on all timings and mhz with the new CPU and documenting the results for reference if I need them again. Corsairs will go in some time this week and lets hope they rock as much as these Muskins have or they will end up sitting in the backup rig lol. It has some old G-Skill value crap in it from when I just needed some mem to get running.

I however recently started getting a random memory error every few hours on these Mushkins over 2000 Mhz though. Its really frustrating me as I cannot pinpoint it. Tests stable all the way up to 2600Mhz even primes for hours and then just out of the blue while im reading a web page or something they BSOD. I am thinking it might be one of my obscure timings or they just have finally started to decline after the years.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORL View Post
Nope. Havent even plugged them in yet lol. Still pushing my old Mushkins to their maxes on all timings and mhz with the new CPU and documenting the results for reference if I need them again. Corsairs will go in some time this week and lets hope they rock as much as these Muskins have or they will end up sitting in the backup rig lol. It has some old G-Skill value crap in it from when I just needed some mem to get running.

I however recently started getting a random memory error every few hours on these Mushkins over 2000 Mhz though. Its really frustrating me as I cannot pinpoint it. Tests stable all the way up to 2600Mhz even primes for hours and then just out of the blue while im reading a web page or something they BSOD. I am thinking it might be one of my obscure timings or they just have finally started to decline after the years.
I'd be interested in seeing the figures your working with on that Mushkin. My Ridgebacks on Deneb core liked high voltages. It wasn't the Ram's fault though it was the IMC on the chip.. Most server Phenom II based steppings got away with far less voltage for the clocks on the Ram.

So Cas 9 at 1000mhz with 960T was at 1.5v and with a 980BE it took 1.65v for some odd reason, same board Ram Gpu ect.... the IMCs where way different. Now running the same Ram in the i7, it clocks the same as the 1090T only I've just about hit 1200mhz effective on PC14900 with Cas 10. Still working on that too.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

Wow I just ran a mem benchmark and something is wrong. Was going to show you my settings but there is clearly an issue in here. Look at my memory speed results compared to my memory copy. The memory copy should be pushing 17.5-19k here. Uhg another issue to resolve now. One of my 7950s just popped and took the other with it. Not a good day lol.

Any advice?

Additional Comment:

Oh btw. These are my every day settings so dont mind the lax CPU clocks I backed them down quite a bit for cool running. Really liking the OC profiles in the Sabertooth bios.

Last edited by ORL : 02-23-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Well first I'd update the Cpu-z. I highly doubt your running Cas 2 eh?

With the video cards, put them on the shelf for a day or two and then try again one card at a a time.

You could also try a long hard reset to the bios. Maybe it went goofy on the PCI-E slots.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

Ya I went hard reset on the GPUs already once for each. Even tried them in my alt system and neither will fire up. Same deal, PC lights up for about a 10th of a second then is off again. They are toast.

As for latency HAHA Yeah I didnt even catch that when I took it. Its been right on the money too for the last week not sure how it happened all the sudden. But they are 7/9/7/26 @ 1003.4/2006.8 for daily running.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply