EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Network Hardware (Wired & Wireless)
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Juicepod
Does this ever end?

improving wifi signal with second modem?

We've currently changed to cable internet but noticed that the wifi signal around the house is touchy now. When we had Bell(dsl) the wifi signal was stronger. I actually still have two of the Bell modems (2wire) and I'm wondering if I can just attach the Bell modem to the Rogers one with an Ethernet cord and improve wifi strength or create a second network. So maybe some of our wifi devices can connect to the modem instead. Would I also be able to turn of the wifi signal on the Rogers modem? Not sure that would be useful or not. I don't know much about networking as you can tell.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
jmilch
Overqwocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicepod View Post
We've currently changed to cable internet but noticed that the wifi signal around the house is touchy now. When we had Bell(dsl) the wifi signal was stronger. I actually still have two of the Bell modems (2wire) and I'm wondering if I can just attach the Bell modem to the Rogers one with an Ethernet cord and improve wifi strength or create a second network. So maybe some of our wifi devices can connect to the modem instead. Would I also be able to turn of the wifi signal on the Rogers modem? Not sure that would be useful or not. I don't know much about networking as you can tell.
The signal strength didnt have anything to do with rahter you had DSL or Cable. It has everything to do with the hardware.

And no, you cannot attach the DSL modems to your current cable modem and do anything with it. Also, you are probably describing integrated routers, since you are not saying you have a separate modem and router.

So basically your only real option would be to disable the wireless on your current combination modem/router, and run a better wireless router. Essentially not using the integrated wireless with the current modem, but using a external wireless router.

I actually did the same thing (different providers, but same idea) and my wireless signal improved significantly.
United States  Offline
Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Juicepod
Does this ever end?

Well I connected the Bell modem to the Rogers one with and it's giving off the same ID that it had and I can connect to it and get the internet. I'm also using a Raspberry Pi connected to my TV with xbmc running and I have a wifi dongle on that but I think the connection isn't the greatest because of the Rogers modems wifi signal. I think I will trying connecting it to the Bell modem and see if it improves. I have an older wireless G router should I use that instead?
Canada  Offline
Old 02-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

You can set both up if you desire and the devices are capable of interacting as so.

You need to know though that if the devices are both in the same channel spectrum and have all the same info that they will compete with each other and this is bad. It will destroy your network performance as they will both try to communicate with devices in range and this will cause the host interface quite a bit of confusions and collisions. In turn reducing your connections effective abilities by nearly 60%.

Can you post both routers information? Just make and model/revision and I can do from there if its possible.
United States  Offline
Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
jmilch
Overqwocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicepod View Post
Well I connected the Bell modem to the Rogers one with and it's giving off the same ID that it had and I can connect to it and get the internet. I'm also using a Raspberry Pi connected to my TV with xbmc running and I have a wifi dongle on that but I think the connection isn't the greatest because of the Rogers modems wifi signal. I think I will trying connecting it to the Bell modem and see if it improves. I have an older wireless G router should I use that instead?
You really arent changing or helping much like that though. Is the integrated router a G/N band?
United States  Offline
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Juicepod
Does this ever end?

ok the first one which is the Rogers one that we are using now is the Cisco DPC3825 and the Bell that we use to use is the 2wire 2701HG-G. By integrated router you mean these ones that are specifically made for Bell or Rogers. I noticed that they are no WAN connections on these. All i'm wondering is if the Bell one would give off a better wifi signal.
Canada  Offline
Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
T0mmy1977
Learning To Overclock

A range expander would help.
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

I've done this before. First disable DHCP on the second router. Then give it a static IP address under the next subnet mask like 192.168.137.0. Connect router 1 to the gateway port of router 2 and pretty much good to go.

*edit*
Oops forgot to include set your wifi name, mode, key, and etc all the same exactly as the first router's wifi. Also, you cannot do this with a 'modem', but you can with an actual router.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply