EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > New Member Introductions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Cretster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Hi from new uk member and OC noob

Hi guys, great info you have on here. I'm pretty new to the world of over locking despite building, tweaking, repairing machines for around 15 years or so. Never really had a need before to overclock but now I do with a project I'm working on.

It's a scratch build arcade cabinet thats running Mame and a bunch of other emulators.

Looking forward to digging through all the useful info on here and hopefully joining in a bit!

Cheers
Jim
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Maurice
Partial to LUNAR

Welcome to eocf.

A lot of friendly, and helpful people on here.
United States  Offline
Old 03-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you. What are your system specs? Got any tech pron (pics of the cabinet)?

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Welcome to eocf.

A lot of friendly, and helpful people on here.
Ya ninja'd me!

Last edited by DarkTower87 : 03-03-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Subedei
Eppur Si Muove

Wellcome Matey...good to see another Brit on here
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Cretster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTower87 View Post
Hello and welcome! Glad to have you. What are your system specs? Got any tech pron (pics of the cabinet)?
System spec for the cabinet machine is not a lot. It's running an Asus P5WDG2-WS Pro board, 4gb of OCZ PC8500 DDR2 ram, a thermaltake Sonic Tower2 with 120mm fan, and an E6600 CPU that's overclocked to currently about 3.25ghz (just an FSB tweak).

The problem I've got is trying to get it to run right on an E8400 I bought as an upgrade. It's just not having it even though the bios is fine to accept a wolfdale on this board.

Other machines I've got are:
Main desktop - i7 2600K with 8gb DDR3, cheapy N210 gfx card (I've no real need for a fancy card), 120gb Crucial M4 SSD
Macbook pro 13" - i5, upgraded with 240gb Sandisk SSD
HTPC (tiny thing that sits under my telly and runs XBMC) - AMD A6 3500, 4gb DDR3, Mini-itx board (I forget which).

Then there's various other PCs dotted around like one in my garage that I use with a 17" touchscreen for PDF docs when I'm working on stuff out there, a dev machine with an offline copy of my forum etc.

Will post up a pic of the cabinet shortly!
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretster View Post
Thanks guys

System spec for the cabinet machine is not a lot. It's running an Asus P5WDG2-WS Pro board, 4gb of OCZ PC8500 DDR2 ram, a thermaltake Sonic Tower2 with 120mm fan, and an E6600 CPU that's overclocked to currently about 3.25ghz (just an FSB tweak).

The problem I've got is trying to get it to run right on an E8400 I bought as an upgrade. It's just not having it even though the bios is fine to accept a wolfdale on this board.

Other machines I've got are:
Main desktop - i7 2600K with 8gb DDR3, cheapy N210 gfx card (I've no real need for a fancy card), 120gb Crucial M4 SSD
Macbook pro 13" - i5, upgraded with 240gb Sandisk SSD
HTPC (tiny thing that sits under my telly and runs XBMC) - AMD A6 3500, 4gb DDR3, Mini-itx board (I forget which).

Then there's various other PCs dotted around like one in my garage that I use with a 17" touchscreen for PDF docs when I'm working on stuff out there, a dev machine with an offline copy of my forum etc.

Will post up a pic of the cabinet shortly!
Nice! got a lot of machines (nothing wrong with that). Looking forward to the pics. I was considering buying a broken cabinet and fixing it up with a little cheap PC inside. I just don't really know how I would hook up the controller yet.
United States  Offline
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Cretster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

If you buy something that already is a cabinet then you got a BIG head start mate. I started with an old wardrobe!

It's not finished - I doubt it ever will be, and my plan is that once I figure out finally exactly how everything should be, or what bits I would do different etc, that I will build a second much nicer one that I will take my time with, so that it hopefully ends up being something to be really proud of. This one works pretty good though.

Re' controllers, depends what you want to run on it and what controls you want to use.
You can mostly buy adaptors to use most controls with a PC though. If you emulate console games then you can use regular arcade controls for everything up to about the era of a SNES and Megadrive. Beyond that though you really need to use the Console game pads through an adaptor as it starts to get too complex and messy with stuff like analog stick + D pads + shoulder buttons + triggers etc etc.

Pic #1 anyway - this is how it mostly looks right now:

Notice the pedals, but where's the wheel I hear you ask?

Right here - the front panel folds down to allow the wheel to rotate out and lock in place above the panel when you close it again:

Also, there's a keyboard that swings out if you need it, although it doesn't lock in place in any particular way at the moment. It's a nuisance but it's there when you need it for setup stuff:

The rectangle hole is where it did have a 7" touchscreen monitor until it died. The cabinet marquee (you probably can't tell) is a collage I made from my favourite film: Commando! The monitor basically had the film playing on it while the cabinet was running. What more could you want!

Just recently I added a 3" trackball to the controls, which I use as the mouse, and today I fitted 6 new buttons, 3 of them being at the sides/front so I can use them as pinball controls.

Only other thing I badly want to have in it somehow is a flight stick that is hidden somehow until I want it. Not sure how though. I've got a saitek cyborg Evo that would be ace for it for playing afterburner and ace combat etc, but I haven't figured out how to integrate it into the cabinet yet.

Additional Comment:

It's all a bit rough to be honest, but first try at making something like this, and finesse is NOT my middle name sadly.

It mostly functions great though and that's what I'm bothered about for now at least.

Excuse the mess by the way!

Last edited by Cretster : 03-10-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

That is so cool. It looks really good for being an unfinished product. Really like everything. Thanks for posting the pics. If you want some help or suggestions post in the Member's Showcase or case section. I am sure someone has done this before at some time and may be able to help you or give you some fresh ideas. Regardless looks amazing.
United States  Offline
Old 03-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Cretster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Cheers chief. There's a few forums specially for this stuff - BYOAC would be the biggest I think.

Yeah it's good enough that I can enjoy playing it now, with at least a slightly authentic arcade feel. I would love to get a really polished product built eventually though with top class artwork and finish etc.

Here's a pic at an earlier build stage:

And here's a better view of the marquee I designed. I sooo need to get a decent copy printed up so it looks right with the cathode light behind it. This is without the title added afterwards:

United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Well it certainly has come a long way. I didn't see all of the detail on that commando image until you posted it up. Once you get the lighting squared away it will look even better.
United States  Offline
Old 03-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

It's awesome. Great job.
United States  Offline
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Cretster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Cheers chaps.

Well there's been a slight change or two now.

The Commandotron900 is now running a core i5 2500k, overclocked to 4.2ghz, with 4gb ddr3 memory, and running on a sandisk 240gb SSD. It also has a real graphics card which is novel for me as I've never before bothered having more than the absolute minimum in terms of graphics, since I've always been a console gamer and had no need. I bought a second hand Asus 6850, and I have to say it makes a pretty big difference!

So now I've got some up to date PC driving games on it. Well, it would have been silly to have the effort of building an arcade machine, with steering wheel & pedals, the. Not be able to play up to date games! :d
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

That is great! What games? Burnout Paradise would be fun on that thing. Not to mention Dirt series. All you need is a flight stick for some serious flight sim fun!
United States  Offline
Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Cretster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Oops, missed your reply sorry.

Have already got a flight stick (cyborg evo wireless), and a couple of flight sims to try. Want to integrate the stick in the cabinet somehow but don't think it's doable now.

Divers wise, currently I've got dirt3, ridge racer unbounded, gtr, nfs most wanted, and grid, with more planned.

Have added some front USB ports, sockets for 2 play station/ps2 controllers, an artic cooling Accelero twin turbo cooler to the graphics card, an alpine mono sub amp, and a kicker 8" sub tube.

It's getting there slowly.
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply