EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-15-2003, 11:32 PM   #1
Jason
The Mad Beaker
Administrator

Making ATX "Y" Cable (Power two boards w/one PSU)

Well I took pictures of one of the Y cables that I made. Basically I got some ATX extension cables (I think from Directron). I did this so I wouldn't have to splice into my PSU.

There have been several variations on how to make them, Some people don't splice together the Green & Gray cables, but I did (and I'll explain why later)...

Okay, first off, here is what I'm talking about when I mean ATX Extension cables:

Some of the materials required are:

1. Wire cutters (if you have the ones that has the wire-stripping grooves it will make this a lot easier).
2. 1/8" Heatshrink tubing (or electrical tape)
3. Soldering iron
4. Solder

Cut off the female ends of the extension cables (the female connector looks the same as the one on a motherboard). You can toss one away, the other you will use.

Strip all the ends of the wires on the cables (including the short piece with the female connector). Then tie together each of the wires of the two cables together. I just set them next to each other, made sure they were in the same order and went across, then flipped it over and repeated.

Then tin all the tips of the bare wires. Make sure you put extra solder on them so it is easier to join the wires together and you don't need a 3rd hand to add solder. Also cut the pieces of heatshrink tubing and put them on your wires BEFORE YOU START SOLDERING!

Solder all the wires together. Just go down one row, flip over and do the same... Be extra careful that you get them matched up properly...

Then slide the heatshrink tubing over the soldered wires, and use a heatgun (or any heat source like a lighter) to shrink them...

That's it! Okay, about the green & gray connectors... The green is your Power Supply ON, the gray is the Power OK. Some people only run these wires to one of the connectors, and the wires from the other connector aren't connected to anything...

Well, it's going to vary per your board... For me I tried without connecting the green, then both green and gray, and I could not get my 2nd machine to boot. Then when I connected them all up they worked!

If your motherboard has an auto power-on feature this will simplify things, I *think* the board will come on when it gets power, so the wiring for the green & gray might not be as crucial.

For me, like I said, I connected them all up. Then I made a power switch to turn all my machines on at once, they were just wired in parrallel. One caveat about this is that power needs to be going to all the boards so that the signal doesn't ground out on boards that don't have power going to them.

If you don't want to use a switch you can manually start them all by using a screwdriver and just short the two pins to startup the board.

It took me about an hour to make each cable... It takes time to do all the cutting / twisting / soldering / etc...

In the end though, you can make one of these cables for probably $10 or less, saving you money from having to buy another PSU. Also your generating less heat (it's pretty noticable!).
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-15-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
shroomer

Nice work Jason now all I need to do is hone my Linux skillz
Old 01-15-2003, 11:36 PM   #3
LINX
AMD-AMD-AMD-AMD

i vote this for a sticky way to go jason
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
Sound-Mind
Folding...

sticky! very understandable and the images are clear...make sure forums.folding-community.org gets the link. i know some people were asking.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2003, 11:39 PM   #5
Stalka
Old School EOCer

very nice and neat! they look great too. how are the rails? anything noticable?
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2003, 11:49 PM   #6
Mark
EOCF Elder
Administrator

nice work dude!
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #7
Yahooy2U
Friar Tuck
Super Moderator

wow, and you didn't come out with any burns or scars, last time i tried doing something like that, well i have a scar on my finger from it, i guess i am just too stupid
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
cbratton

Gives a whole new meaning to dualies. That looks cool
Old 01-16-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
ZeroDread
VHHI 01000 nViii

Great Looking job there....very clean...
Old 01-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #10
Maple
Agent Smith!

nice job! theres another thing to add onto my list of things to do on a rainy day...
Old 01-16-2003, 07:51 PM   #11
ghostfacekillah
GT-R

nice job jason, im gonna try that this weekend
Mexico  Offline
Old 01-16-2003, 08:37 PM   #12
species8472
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

put an article on eoc!!!