EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Water Cooling - (Plain & Chilled)

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
FreakStorm!
Overclocker

Water Cooling still worth it?

Hi all,

I've been rocking the rig in my sig for about 8 years now. I'm itching to upgrade and started looking at the options. I'm tempted by the Ryzen, with so many cores (especially as I want to do GPU pass through from Linux to Windows, so could give both systems a good amount of cores), but single thread performance remains with Intel's offerings.

But, having been out the loop a while, I'm wondering if water cooling is still worth it. I remember water cooling came into being as Intel's Netburst technology started to hit a solid wall on clock speeds with huge amounts of heat being produced. But now, with much more efficient processors, is heat still an issue? Or would water cooling only really buy me a few extra 100Mhz overclocking headroom?
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakStorm! View Post
Or would water cooling only really buy me a few extra 100Mhz overclocking headroom?

Honestly, yes this is correct. Quality air cooling is nearly as good as water, but water is still worth it if you enjoy the hobby of it specifically.
United States  Offline
Old 06-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Honestly, yes this is correct. Quality air cooling is nearly as good as water, but water is still worth it if you enjoy the hobby of it specifically.
Its also nice for noise reduction, the cooling capability even from an all in one water cooler is higher with lower noise fans.
United States  Offline
Old 06-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Yeah that's true
United States  Offline
Old 06-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
Cecil
Fix The Internet

Another thing to consider is overclocking headroom is nearly non existent anymore. It's not the 50-100% we used to get, and is closer to 10% or less now. I've given up on OCing, and go with lower TDP locked chips now, with a very silent air cooler.
United States  Offline
Old 06-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
EMU
Gold Member

From a value perspective, I would say that it is not worth it. As a hobbyist, I watercool all of my computers. You may get a marginal increase of performance due to thermals, but you will be spending $300+ for the average custom loop, and $75-100 over the price of a GREAT air cooler with a good CLC. Average CLC (120, many 240) arent really worth the price increase over the best air coolers that perform similarly with lower noise.

If you enjoy the project, then go for it. But if cooling a 4c 115X intel, or Ryzen, you wont really get much increase in performance from the cooler. HEDT platforms are a little different. Ryzen seems to top out around 4ghz whether on GOOD air or water. Kaby Lake is hit or miss, and after a delid, the limit is more in the voltage and the silicon lottery than keeping it cool once you get to the upper echelon of air coolers.

The old 1366 platform benefited from water because it just dumped heat out. Newer CPUs are more efficient, which lessens the increase from water since they just dont give off enough heat to make it worth the jump to water.

My opinion, is either go custom loop, or go with the best air cooler you can fit. If not water cooling the video card, there is less reason to cool the cpu.

Last edited by EMU; 06-28-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 06-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Blackops_2
4.7ghz :/

It's definitely a niche. For me i liked that i was able to hit 4.5ghz on the 3770k and contain temps. Also like that i can push my 780s further than i could on air.

I love the noise reduction and aesthetics. Something about making it your own that i love. I adore clean color themed rigs with mayhems.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
N64link
I am the law?

Yeah, it's mostly noise reduction and some thermal. I could not run 3 980s in my case without the WC loop. Way to much of a hot box.
United States  Offline
Old 06-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
ELItheICEman
#define i 0x15

The only reason I can come up with (and I was told this before I built a custom water cooling loop years ago) is because you want to. That's it.

Cost-wise, it's not worth it. Time-wise, it's not worth it. Cooling-wise, it's not worth it. But if you find it to be good fun and you want to see what it's all about, I think you'll really enjoy it (for a while).

Good luck.
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

One thing water cooling has going for it is stability in temperatures. Generally, once the loop gets heated up that's it for max temps, generally they'll keep you close to ambient to as long as you have enough radiator and flow to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United States  Offline
Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
EMU
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
One thing water cooling has going for it is stability in temperatures. Generally, once the loop gets heated up that's it for max temps, generally they'll keep you close to ambient to as long as you have enough radiator and flow to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But the negative on that is that once load is lowered, the heat is still in the water and can take some time to lower. If you have built the look to within 10c Delta T water/ambient, then theres no issues... but if it is 20c+ like some CLC setups can get to, the heat soak and be annoying.

With air, once the load is released, the cooler comes down in temp in seconds... which is reflected on the CPU temp.

For a system that loads in short bursts, most average water loops work fine. For long load times, serious consideration needs to be placed on the design of the loop as far as wattage dissipation. I always overbuild my systems with rad surface area. I can run my fans at 700rpm and still get less than 5c water delta temps at sustained loads for hours.
Netherlands  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply