EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives & Flash Media

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

New SSD not what I'd hoped..

Hi all. I recently upgraded from a Western Digital 640 black, to a Samsung evo 850 500Gb. And I have to say... its not really the night and day difference that everyone seems to rave about. It is faster yes. But the way people talk, I was expecting something like an 80% improvement. Its more like 50% at best. Maybe 30-40% in some cases. It did shave off about 10 seconds of my boot time. And folders do open quicker. But the main reason I bought it, was so that I didn't have to wait so long for loading in modern games. And some of these games can take a good bit to load. So as a test I quickly loaded up Mass Effect Andromeda. And, there isn't a real big improvement there. Its slightly noticeable. Slightly.

But... I'm wondering if this may have something to do with the problem, and maybe someone here can tell me: I imaged my windows 7 drive, off of the WD HDD, onto the Samsung Evo. So its Windows 7, and it was imaged. I did a bit of reading, and most tests seem to show that if anything, Windows 10 is actually a tiny bit slower than Windows 7 when it comes to SSDs. Some other tests show it being the same. And I don't know if imaging the drive, as opposed to doing a brand new install of windows, could have some kind of effect on overall speed. I just don't know. So does anyone know what's up?

Would I be better off with a new install of Windows 10, and not imaging it over from another drive?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

I assume you have AHCI enabled? I imaged my install of 10 after adding the AHCI drivers and enabled it in the bios over to my EVO 250 when I got it. I notice the speed improvements when opening things I have on that drive and boot times mostly.I know what you mean about not being blindingly fast like I heard as well but as I've used it over time I couldn't go back due to things I do notice. Did you benchmark it to see if you are getting the read write speeds as advertised? I used Samsung's Data Migration Tool to do my image what did you use?
Canada  Offline
Old 05-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

I have found that a fresh Windows install on an SSD is faster than an image off an HDD. But this is also mostly because we have a tendancy to keep our OS running for quite a while and age takes a toll on an OS speed no matter which drive it's installed on.

That said it is likely that your OS is not properly "tuned" for the SSD.

There are things that simply cannot be sped up much more over what is currently the norm. I did a lot of tests using CAD software and benchmarking HDD vs SSD and even RAMdrive and the gains are substantial but not 400% better (considering the read/write times) nor are they infinitely better (considering the seek time). The same principle applies to games as well... there is a lot of data movement that happens behind the scenes and latency adds up. I have yet to try out a NVMe SSD, it seems these drives are stupid fast, in great part because they bypass the SATA controller and directly communicate with the PCI-E bus.

Your system also influences greatly how fast the SSD will seem. Personally I found W10 to feel overall snappier on my SSD than W7 ever did, even with an SSD (2500K). And while there was an improvement on my old E8500, it was nowhere as remarkable as my 2500K.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

Yeah I've watched a few youtube vids, and made a few changes. It seems that there is actually a fair bit that you need to do to an SSD, when upgrading to "dial it in". For its maximum potential. Also, just from experience in computing over the years since windows XP, I'd be willing to be that just on sheer "newness" that W10 is faster and just generally works better with SSD's. We all know they start to neglect their older OS's in more ways than one. Even if they do keep up the security updates for a while. And I'd bet they don't even put the same effort into that, as they do their latest and greatest OS. Here's what a test said:

United States  Offline
Old 05-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Granger
Overclocker

Download Samsung Magicien, if its an Evo you have you can get it much faster than that
France  Offline
Old 05-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

Ok I did. A quick question on that: Someone mention Samsung Magician having something to do with imaging over to the SSD from the old HDD. Is that true? Is that where its speed improvements are to be had? Or is it just a program that's mainly for use once you've already installed the OS on the SSD?
United States  Offline
Old 05-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
un4givn85
v^

I think the speed Granger is referring to is Samsung rapid mode. Basically a Samsung managed ramdisk.
And while it won't increase boot times, it will make a noticeable difference after it learns your habits.
United States  Offline
Old 05-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Ok I did. A quick question on that: Someone mention Samsung Magician having something to do with imaging over to the SSD from the old HDD. Is that true? Is that where its speed improvements are to be had? Or is it just a program that's mainly for use once you've already installed the OS on the SSD?
It wasn't Magician it was Data Migration Tool another piece of software they make and it aligns it properly etc. I don't know if it helps the speed thing but I agree Granger was probably talking about Rapid Mode I don't use it so I can't speak to that.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

Did a new install of Windows 10. There does seem to be an improvement, but I'm not sure if that's just because its a new OS install and thus wouldn't be quite as slow as my old W7 install. W10 Also seems to be somewhat smaller that windows 7. Doesn't take up quite as much room.

Now to do everything I can to turn off the spying...
United States  Offline
Old 05-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #10
Granger
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4givn85 View Post
I think the speed Granger is referring to is Samsung rapid mode. Basically a Samsung managed ramdisk.
And while it won't increase boot times, it will make a noticeable difference after it learns your habits.

Yep, exactly that. The more RAM the faster the speed

France  Offline
Old 05-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #11
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

Ok I got windows 10 installed and man... Microsoft is really pulling out all the stops on forcing their will on people. I only thought it was bad before...

You can turn off all the spying settings if you want... not that it will do you any good. They force updates on you, and the updates just turn the settings right back on. Wish there was a way to gut that code from the OS. So there was nothing left there for them to turn back on.

Anyone know how to do this? Or perhaps how to configure a router so that say... only the web browser can actually ever use the internet connection? Then it wouldn't matter if they turned the settings back on. Cause when you actually did update, you'd just get all the updates and not have to worry about the spying anymore. Cause after the update you'd just reconfigure the router so that windows 10 couldn't have internet access. Hope this doesn't sound too ignorant, but I'm not really all that well versed in networking and network security.
United States  Offline
Old 05-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
United States  Offline
Old 05-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #13
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
/gif bender taking a picture "Neat"
United States  Offline
Old 05-28-2017, 05:48 AM   #14
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
I can't wait to try that tool out. Again I find myself thanking you, Scotty.
United States  Offline
Old 05-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #15
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Program works good. You could do everything it does manually in the registry, but this is easier.
Pretty much a must for a W10 user.
United States  Offline
Old 05-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #16
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

I haven't used that one yet, but I will give it a try. But before I came back to this thread, I found Spybot's anti-beacon. It seems to have pretty much the same functionality.

Where it fails, is that it doesn't seem to be able to keep some of the settings. Most of them stick, but some don't. Then you get an update and none of them stick. Even after just restarting the computer, these settings don't stick. I blocked everything, then restarted the computer. As you can see, a couple of them still managed to come back on. And again when they force you to update, they all seem to come back on.

Do you happen to know how well OSO Shutup performs when it comes to this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spybot pic.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	172643  
United States  Offline
Old 05-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Better, because there is no 'force an update'. You choose what you take and what you don't.
United States  Offline
Old 05-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

Do you have a recommendation on a program for that? Or is that something that has to do with a router firmware change? Such as installing something like DDWRT. It vaguely sounds like something you've already done. How did you go about it?
United States  Offline
Old 05-31-2017, 04:53 AM   #19
PommieB
Overclocker

Been using win 10 since it was first released, the spying doesn't worry me, I turned most of it off, the updates worried me at first, I've never had problems with them ( you can easily remove updates that cause problems, I simply back up the Os at the beginning of each month. Win 10 pro gives you more options and in some cases more control, there's actually no way I'll move back to win 7, I also found a lot of older software runs on the latest win 10 which didn't work on 8,8.1etc and early versions of win 10.

With ssd's it depends what you are going to run on your computer, just about any ssd will run reasonably well, the dearer ssd's have better quality nand memory and controllers capable moving more data, general use you'll not see much difference in speed, the WD ssd's are made by Sandisk which Western Digital bought a few year ago, the Sandisk nand memory they use is pretty good, the controllers they use are pretty ordinary.

The Evo's are a better all round ssd, I wouldn't even consider the WD ssds for my use, I mainly use Samsungs, both sata and PCIe, found them pretty good, had a 512gb Crucial M4 die on me, I replaced with a 512gb Samsung EVO.

Last edited by PommieB; 05-31-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Australia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply