EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
N64link
I am the law?

I'm going to be more active. A couple quick questions.

Hello 11314, I've been a bit inactive for a while and am starting my main rig back to F@H as close to 24/7 as I can. I recently got a pay increase and a 3rd room mate so I have more money and less bills. Now, my main question. Is it worth it for me to put more money into my 4p rig, filling all RAM slots, or should I just abandon the rig and invest in a newer GPU for F@H? Second: If I should abandon the 4p, anybody want to buy a 4p rig with a custom torture rack? Rig2 in sig.

I've been wanting a newer GPU for my rig anyway but have not been able to justify upgrading it for my 1680x1050 monitor. Since my 660TI is still handling everything I play just fine. (Only thing I have that I can't max at this res is GTAV)
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

Spend your money on GPUs. My 2 - 970s put out more PPD than my 2 4Ps and my 2P.
United States  Offline
Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
N64link
I am the law?

Okay, Thanks man. Now I just have to ebay this thing.
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
teebob21
DON'T PANIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh425 View Post
Spend your money on GPUs. My 2 - 970s put out more PPD than my 2 4Ps and my 2P.
Jim, out of curiosity, how many PPD does a single 970 earn?
United States  Offline
Old 01-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Jim, out of curiosity, how many PPD does a single 970 earn?
I'd say the average is around 250K per day but depends on the work unit.
United States  Offline
Old 01-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
un4givn85
v^

if you can swing it, a 980 can pull up to 500k ppd with a modest overclock
United States  Offline
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
N64link
I am the law?

I'm not going to say money is no object but I was planning on getting the best GPU I could. The 980Ti is what I was thinking about. I do wish AMDs cards were better suited for folding. I'm actually impressed with the 390X and the Fury cards but I have almost no data on their folding performance and what I can find basically says it's not bad but AMD is just not optimized with F@H. I have a Supernova 1300 so I can handle anything that is around. Also thinking about stepping up my monitor around june, Not much point in a bad *** card with my current monitor.
United States  Offline
Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
un4givn85
v^

980ti if you can, definitely
go with an evga hybrid one and keep it nice and cool too

as for the monitor, asus rog swift
United States  Offline
Old 02-16-2016, 02:08 AM   #9
PcShedTV
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I got a MSI 970gtx overclocked to 1550Mhz and its getting 350ppd. 2x titan x 12GB watercooled and overclocked to 1428Mhz is getting 1.3Million ppd and 2x 980ti stock getting 1.1Million ppd
The 970gtx in my personal opinion is the sweet stop for value versus performance for folding. Also a great gpu for gaming at 1080p.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&u=693549
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
N64link
I am the law?

Alright, So I got a 970 and am currently folding on it, my 660TI, my GT730. (The 730 is only to use as TV out card so I could watch videos and stuff without stutter and loss of PPD.) It's averaging pretty well so far. And I have not OCd any card.

Now, I have a question for some of the guys still running a 4p rig. What PPD could I get out of my 4P? I still have my server just sitting here and I'm not gonna get close to what I put into it back. I know GPU is king of PPD but could I get maybe around another 100K PPD for my RIG2 in my sig, If I maxed out the RAM? I hate to see it just sitting here.
United States  Offline
Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

I get around 100-150K from each of my 4Ps. You only need a small amount of ram for each processor. I think the number I heard was 2GB per processor. I have 8GB per processor to optimize the memory processing which made sense when they were bringing in 500K-1M PPD each per day. I turned mine off for a few days when we had a our heat wave. I guess it's time to turn them back on.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply