EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Project / Build Logs

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

AMD-FX 8350 versus AMD-FX 9590?

Was wondering about what the future built might be and came across a couple of rumour Reviews and wont you guys view on whether this is true or not?

Quotes from www. overclockers.co.uk

"To be clear, this chip has no advantage over the 8350 at all! Clock for clock they are identical, in fact, many people are not even able to hit 5ghz with the 9590, this is simply a way for AMD to charge more money for a cherry picked 8350"

"So you are probably wondering why you should get this over FX 8350, right? I'll tell you why. This is basically an FX 8350 factory over clocked, that's why. There is nothing special about this CPU at all, it is not any faster than the 8350 at the same clock speeds, and you can save yourself"

Draws 210Watts stead of 125Watts so how can it be the same cpu?

Is it worth upgrading the motherboard to except this FX-9590 cpu or not?
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

A couple facts for you, so you can draw your own conclusions.

9590 draws 220w in stock configuration. 4.7/5.0
8350 draws 125w in stock configuration. 4.0/4.2

Overclock a 8350 to 4.7 and it draws 220w+.
Overclock ANY 8 core FX to 4.7 and it draws 220w+.

Benchmarks from a 8320 and a 9590 @ 5.4 are almost identical. I can provide proof if you like, I own all of them.

All boards technically will support the 9xxx processors, even if they're not advertised to. There is no code difference between the 9xxx and the 8xxx CPU's.

Only that upper Asus boards can handle FX 8 cores overclocked.
CH
Sabertooth
970 Aura
In that order.

All 8 core FX's basically overclock to the same end result, give or take 200MHz.
Cooling is the key on FX overclocking. It's the ONLY key.
United States  Offline
Old 01-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

Worth Waiting for Something better then thanks Chief, only voltage holding me back, maybe those 1.5v+ are delidded or have modified bios chips or updates or something.

intel started doing 10-18 core cpu's but the price is horrendous, and there not mainstream cpu's either there xeon server chips.

Presumably AMD will counter this expensive threat eventually?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

1.5v+ is almost required for anything over 4.8. Nothing new there. De-lidding FX's doesn't help that much. Mine are de-lidded.

The counter for the expensive multicore Intel chips is coming. Zen offers almost the same performance for roughly half the price.
United States  Offline
Old 01-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

Apparently changed the name to Ryzen though this could just be a codename until release date.

massive cache, and some change in arctechture to gain 40% more performance, some clever more intelligent processing, and a lower TDP of 100Watts and the promise to the shift of DDR4.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-02-2017, 02:00 AM   #6
BlastMaster
Old Soldier

I hope so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
1.5v+ is almost required for anything over 4.8. Nothing new there. De-lidding FX's doesn't help that much. Mine are de-lidded.

The counter for the expensive multicore Intel chips is coming. Zen offers almost the same performance for roughly half the price.

Tested out 8320 and 8350 and came to this conclusion, then the 9590 came out realized they are all LS smallblocks but the 9590 comes built from the factory. I wound up getting frustrated with my motherboard voltages and unstable memory and bought a 4770k, got basically the same performance as my OCd 8320. If you just want to tweak and play get an 8320 and wait for Ryzen.

For the record I was a first adopter of the 4770k when they dropped and hate the ****ed thing, its rock solid at stock but will not OC, or at least very little.
United States  Offline
Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

is it Possible to build an Opteron 16 core gaming machine mind you at 2.5ghz I suppose that would be a stretch?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Yes but there's no point. Most games are still 4 core limited. Only a couple will use up to 8. Speed is still more important than core count as long as you have 4.
United States  Offline
Old 01-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

Make a very interesting build though, not sure how to water cool the dual cpu's,
Cheapest intial Setup I could Workout

2x 2.2ghz 12 core cpu's cost approx. 35
16 lot of DDR3 4gb each PC8500 cost approx. 65
Motherboard most expensive part Brand New in box by Asus cost approx. 400
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
BlastMaster
Old Soldier

I'm going to ask a question I used to know the answer to but now don't: That board would be ECC Memory, wouldn't that majorly complicate the OC process? I seem to recall having issues with that in the Early DDR days. What are the odds the mainboard would have a comprehensive set of OC tools or at the very least timing and voltage settings available?
United States  Offline
Old 01-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

You have to be choosy on the boards you look at. There are a few boards that modded bios's have been made for that will make them full overclock capable.
Google around about it. You'll see.
United States  Offline
Old 01-08-2017, 02:04 AM   #12
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

Should imagine the only way to get 3.2ghz or higher out of 2.2ghz cpu's would be something drastic like dry ice?
how on earth would I get a hold of such cooling?
how much would it cost?
how on earth would I get it to post bios at such ridiculously low temperatures?
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply