EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Product Reviews - Written By Members

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Wedge
Running System Stock

What are the good manufacturers for everything?

Could anyone tell me what he good manufacturers are? I was trying to see how cheaply I could build a good computer on newegg (kind of a hobby of mine) and I remembered reading that I should look for product reviews to find the best quality goods. I was looking at a Rosewill PSU so I searched it up on Google and found some reviews here (hence how I found this website) saying to never buy Rosewill PSUs. I realized then that I probably have no clue what to look for. So maybe you guys could help me out, just for good brands: I don't really need any specific models. If you could put it into a form similar to this that would be great:

Cases:
Motherboards:
Memory:
Hard Drives:
Video Cards:
Power Supplies:
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

why dont you post your budget, and what you want to do with the computer and people can help you put a build together.
United States  Offline
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Wedge
Running System Stock

Oh that's probably a smart idea, thanks. My budget is under $400 (for now at least) I kind of plan on building custom computer then selling them. So you could tell me good brands for my price range, but also I'd like to know what's the best.
United States  Offline
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

thats a tight budget, do you have any old parts you can recycle from an older computer, ie case, hard drives, cd drives, and especially OS (windows sucks $80-100 out of the budget right there)

Additional Comment:

good brands-- thats a lengthy post, if I have more time latter I can post some, but by then others will probably throw their 2c in.

Last edited by prudhomb; 06-13-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Wedge
Running System Stock

Yeah, part of what I'm trying to do is find broken computers and salvage them for their good parts and then buy some components from newegg to rebuild the computer. But I've definitely been able to gather parts from newegg under $400, just without an OS (assuming I'd probably use Linux if I actually bought all the parts)
United States  Offline
Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Tomek
Just Monkeying Around

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but it's not worth building computer for others.
(unless they are very high end w/ a good mark-up)

The after sale support will give you a migrane, and quickly eat any possible profit.

If you can sell them, and tell the buyers "you're on your own", power to ya, but good luck.

There is so little margin it's best to just do it for yourself,

or maybe a couple close friends.
Canada  Offline
Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
emepror
Overclocker

Cases: coolermaster, corsair, silverstone
Motherboards: EVGA, ASUS
Memory: Gskill, mushkin, corsair
Hard Drives: Western digital, hitatchi
Video Cards: EVGA (NVIDIA), XFX (for ATI), ASUS
Power Supplies: corsair

corsair's CS is decent but easy to deal with
EVGA's CS is AMAZING!
ASUS makes some good products but their CS is crap

the rest all make good products but i havent dealt with their CS
United States  Offline
Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Archer0915
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek View Post
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but it's not worth building computer for others.
(unless they are very high end w/ a good mark-up)

The after sale support will give you a migrane, and quickly eat any possible profit.

If you can sell them, and tell the buyers "you're on your own", power to ya, but good luck.

There is so little margin it's best to just do it for yourself,

or maybe a couple close friends.
I agree 100% The money (not a lot) is in troubleshooting and repair. I think the most money I have made is for industrial integration though.
United States  Offline
Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
buttons
BudgetBoy

I love building computers, last year i was building computers and literally only able to sell them for about $20 over my costs. Then the customer service calls started. "i have a virus" how do i do this , my dog ate it, i was getting calls on my cell phone from 7am to 1130 pm -- finally i changed my number and stopped doing this all together.

Right now im toying with the idea of building and selling on ebay because its a lot less formal, no support calls -- but then deal with headaches and risks of shipping, ebay fees, scammers , etc.

You can build a really nice system for about $450. I dont mean for this to be a plug for myself, but if you goto ebay i have a system listed on there i built for right around $450 (cost)

search for custom pc gamer haf liquid cooled. i think its a REALLY nice rig for someone, though without sandybridge a lot of people turn their noses up.

The build is basically:

HAF 912
CM GX650w PSU
Biostar 870board
AMD 925 phenom II
corsair H50
2x4gb patriot 1600
XFX 6850
500gb 7200rpm
asus optical drive

Everything was purchased from newegg with highest combo / rebate deals. I sold dirt 3 that came with the 6850 for $18 on ebay and the corsair h50 was from best buy for $46.
United States  Offline
Old 12-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
PommieB
Overclocker

He needs to list the parts he requires and he needs to test the old parts he's going to use, I used to do that years ago for pensioners for free, no warranty, I'd just fix them up if they stopped working, going through old parts and testing them became too time consuming, so I gave it away. He should list the parts he requires. Reliability costs, then it's no certainty.
Australia  Offline
Old 12-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
Tony0945
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

To emepror's list I would add:

mobo: Gigabyte
Power supplies: Seasonic & Antec's branded by Antec but built by Seasonic
Antec doesn't build supplies but rebadges others. AFAIK, so does Corsair.

Case: Antec (solid but not sexy) RaidMax (well designed & sexy)
In either case, try to find one without PS because the "free" Power Supplies are pretty cheap.

Ethernet cards: Intel all the way.

On Western digital drives, WD Black and Velociraptor (10,000 RPM). I wouldn't bother with Blue or especially Green. You may save energy stopping and starting your drives, but you will surely kill them that way.

I've had good luck with Crucial Ballistix memory but haven't overclocked it (much). A little more expensive but good to deal with on returns.

Nvidia is the way to go on graphics. Radeon hasn't been the same since AMD bought them. I like EVGA's Nvidia cards.
United States  Offline
Old 12-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing

Way to bump lol.
United States  Offline
Old 12-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
BigE4u
Yessss!

Holy smokes.... a 4.5+ year old thread revived. lol
United States  Offline
Old 01-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
PommieB
Overclocker

Sorry guy's my fault, must have been bored. Good topic though, that much crap about.

Last edited by PommieB; 01-23-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Australia  Offline
Old 07-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #15
Oswaldcobble
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Seasonic for PSU. Wonder if Wedge ever made any money . .
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply