EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > ATi Technologies

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Jaseb87
The Legend

Sapphire RX 470 nitro+ 8gb

Hi all,
Has anyone overclocked one of these cards, or similar as when I bump up the gpu clock speed though wattman I am not really getting a increase in fps, I went from 1300mhz to 1410mhz and actually had a decrease in fps.

Am I doing something wrong..?
Heaven and valley keep saying i'ts running at 2000mhz no matter what I change which is obviously incorrect.

Any ideas...?

many thanks.
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Almost Tactf
DT 1770 and a Lyr

Is there a reason you haven't tried OC'ing via MSI Afterburner or something along those lines? (don't even know if you can, but figured it was worth askin')
United States  Offline
Old 12-31-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Jaseb87
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Tactf View Post
Is there a reason you haven't tried OC'ing via MSI Afterburner or something along those lines? (don't even know if you can, but figured it was worth askin')
i tried msi and trixx, wattman is better because you can adjust curves on the overclock in stages, I just don't get why heaven reads clock speed at 2000mhz I wish it was but at 1410mhz I lose fps over 1350 say for instance, 1450mhz froze the pc so I know the oc is working and gpuz shows the overclock.

wonder if i'm doing something wrong or that just happens if you push the card too much..?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

To be honest it sounds to me like the card may be at its limit without severe tinkering. Sometimes we get so caught up chasing the elusive Mhz number cap before the system freezes that we forget up high instability can negatively impact performance without actually crashing or showing other tell tale signs like artifacts. In my overclocking career I have seen two cards that would lose performance before showing the typical signs you've gone to far on the core such as artifacts or freeze events.
United States  Offline
Old 01-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Jaseb87
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORL View Post
To be honest it sounds to me like the card may be at its limit without severe tinkering. Sometimes we get so caught up chasing the elusive Mhz number cap before the system freezes that we forget up high instability can negatively impact performance without actually crashing or showing other tell tale signs like artifacts. In my overclocking career I have seen two cards that would lose performance before showing the typical signs you've gone to far on the core such as artifacts or freeze events.
Ok I get that, I'll just play around until I get the best performance and see where that lands me.

Do you think playing with voltage could help?

Many thanks
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

Your asking the wrong man that question. I have no fear of frying computer parts with voltage.

GPUs are very different than CPUs as the variations between chipsets and PCB designs can cause so many variable limits its mind blowing. CPUs tend to be within a relative window of safe ranges basically where some chips are more friendly with ranges inside that window than others.. GPUs unlike CPUs are at the mercy of their on board hardware with far more areas things can go wrong or right.

But we are on a overclocking site. That decision is yours, but usually a little bump here and there will not hurt anything in the long run. Just watch your temps and remember that the temp sensors usually are only located on the core, anything else touching that cooler will also see a gain to temps.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply