EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Power Supplies (PSUs)

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 AM   #1
sew333
Running System Stock

Question about ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system.

Hi. My psu Corsair 750 RM and Asus Z170-P

If i make very brief power outage ( for maybe 2 second? ) my pc restart instead of shutdown with message: "“Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.” Press F1 to continue." After restart is again fine. So question. Why after very brief power outage i am getting this msg? Is this normal?

Somebody said to me:"If your wall power is okay, this message can be an indication of a faulty power supply."

So what, my psu is faulty or what?

AAh and also in BIOS i have AC POWER LOSS restart OFF after power outage.

So its my psu faulty?
Bahamas  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-21-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

When you say you make a power outage is that your power going off for a second or something you are actually doing?If it's your power going off that message is normal and if it's happening regularly you need a battery backup/ups because that can damage things from dirty power.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
sew333
Running System Stock

No. When i just cut power in my home for 1-2,5 second pc restart with ANTI SURGE msg. Is this something wrong with mobo or psu or its normal to see that msg?

Somebody said to me:"If your wall power is okay, this message can be an indication of a faulty power supply."

Last edited by sew333; 12-21-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Bahamas  Offline
Old 12-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

Shut down your PC before cutting off the power. Or get a UPS like JB suggested.
United States  Offline
Old 12-21-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
sew333
Running System Stock

Yes but getting that msg after cutting power for brief moment is normal? Or psu faulty?

Pc restart with anti surge msg.
Bahamas  Offline
Old 12-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #6
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew333 View Post
Yes but getting that msg after cutting power for brief moment is normal? Or psu faulty?

Pc restart with anti surge msg.
The power outage may be short enough that it triggers ASUS' anti-surge detection as a surge and not an outage. 1-2 second long outage means the motherboard, power supply and some other components has some dormant current left in them when the power comes back up.

As a general rule, it is a good idea to shutdown the computer before shutting off the power at the wall.

Shutting the current at the house's main switch may induce voltage variations that simply flicking the power supply's off switch won't cause.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
sew333
Running System Stock

So PSU is not faulty if i get that Anti Surge warning after power outage?
Bahamas  Offline
Old 12-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Quote:
So PSU is not faulty if i get that Anti Surge warning after power outage?
No if power is suddenly cut off that's just the mobo's protection kicking in.I'm not understanding what's happening are you shutting off the main power before shutting the computer down properly?Or is it short interruptions happening while your computer is running?I've also read that anti surge protection can be a little aggressive at times.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
Almost Tactf
DT 1770 and a Lyr

Quote:
No. When i just cut power in my home for 1-2,5 second pc restart with ANTI SURGE msg. Is this something wrong with mobo or psu or its normal to see that msg?

Wait a second.....YOU cut the power, but now you're asking if your PSU is faulty because someone said if your wall power is okay it must be the PSU????

Your wall power ISN'T ok because YOU cut it...lol

I'm so confused right now. You literally blew your own breaker, then asked if your PSU is faulty because you decided to blow the breaker while your PC was on. You're lucky you didn't fry anything.
United States  Offline
Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #10
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

I responded to this on Reddit. Get a sine wave UPS and put it in between your wall power and computer.
United States  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
sew333
Running System Stock

So that anti surge msg is normal when cut power in house for brief moment?

Somebody said:"Possibly. I would contact Corsair regarding this and look into an RMA. If restart after power loss is disabled, then this shouldn't be happening and would point to the PSU freaking out."

But if power outage is only for a brief moment then its restarting on its own with Anti Surge warning. If power outage is longer then its not restarting like it should,because on bios is AC POWER LOSS RESTART OFF.

Last edited by sew333; 12-26-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Bahamas  Offline
Old 12-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

It's perfectly normal after a sudden loss of power someone was alarming you for no reason.Brief interruptions and the power coming back on is detected as a surge because it's going from zero to whatever your voltage is on your power grid 120/240v.Calm down much ado about nothing.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
sew333
Running System Stock

Somebody said that my psu is faulty if i am getting that msg. :"
So my psu is bad when i am getting ANTI SURGE error after cutting power in house for almost 2 seconds?

Yes, yes it is, you really have no other recourse than to buy this PSU."

Listen to him? Psu is stable on load.
Bahamas  Offline
Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Your PSU would be faulty if this happened for no reason.

If this happened after a power surge hit your house, it is not necessarily faulty. It is the motherboard detecting the short power outage as a surge, triggering the alarm.

Long story short, if you enjoy your computer, or your house electronics for the matter, you should not cut the main braker of your house THEN turn it right back on just for the hell of it. At least give it a few extra seconds or minutes for everything to properly power cycle.
Canada  Offline
Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Just turn off anti surge in the bios. Problem solved.
It doesn't do anything anyway.
United States  Online
Old 02-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #16
sew333
Running System Stock

Listen please ,last time, thank you.

Somebody said this to me:"A 1-2 second power outage is an almost forever power off. It is not a short outage.
Learn what was actually written before quoting it. That quote discusses a power outage that was almost forever. Completely different from AC power that is continuous or that even has a short outage. Numbers were agan ignored to make the conclusion you wanted to make. Not what was written. Please understand what was written before quoting completely out of context.

Furthermore the Asus warning discusses an entire 'system'. PSU is only one component of that system. Any other system component could be defective. Again, please comprehend what is written before making conclusions only from what you want to read."

So according to this words my psu or other component is defective? Can somebody maybe engineer from here can explain me whole situation?

Still, tell me why after such 1-2 second power outage pc restarted with anti surge? Can you explain me ? I must search then for faulty component in pc? Is this normal? For him 1-2 second is forever ok, but still pc restarted yes?

PC itself was not restarted. But after brief power outage ( that was 1-2 second ) .

Ah rest pc:
6700K stock NO OC
16GB RAM
Corsair 750 RM psu
GTX 1080
1x SSD 256 only

I will be greatful for help and answers and helping me again. Thank you . And sorry for my bad language.

Last edited by sew333; 02-05-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Bahamas  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply