EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Noax963
Learning To Overclock

budget build having hard crashes..

So where to begin..

System specs
Amd fx 6350
8gb 1866 hyper x ddr3
Asus m5a97 r2.0
Corsair 650w bronze psu..
His 7950 3gb..
120gb ssd with Windows 10
500gb sshd laptop drive..
Kolink destructor?? Or something like that.. white case..
All this with my time included cost 300 pounds .

Cooler for the 6350 is a phantek ph something 140mm.. it's a big cooler with two heat towers..
I replaced the stock fan on the 7950 because it's crap with a icy vision cooler .

Firstly most of the main components are 2nd hand so I do understand the risks involved here..

So I put things together and loaded Windows on and other software.. started testing and overclocking.. and now and again I would get a hard crash... As in sound would loop very quickly and change tone once.. mouse and keyboard would freeze and it would require a reset or turn off completely and then turn on ...

So I think the problem was the locked bios on the 7950.. by switching the bios to the 1 position.. all crashes have stopped... From what I can see.. it would normally crash either at login or some minutes into a game or bentchmark...

This 7950 was my old card.. which I have to my bro.. turned out he didn't need it so gave it back.. when I plugged it in the power it up.. the fan would spin at full tilt.. ok... That weirds...

So my question is that if it is the locked bios that is the problem .. would running it on the 1 bios be alright.. should I try n flash the 0 bios so there's a backup?..

Anyone else had a similar problem.?

Many thanks
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Bios 0 is corrupted. Needs to be reflashed.
United States  Offline
Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
Noax963
Learning To Overclock

update

Ok so I re ran haven benchmark and had another hard crash... Mmm ok not good.. one thing I forgot to mention is that to see if the card was faulty I used my 7970 and I kelp getting the hard crashes..

So maybe it's not the bios...

I'm going to try and reinstall video drivers to see if that works...

It hard to find what is causing this.. as its hard to recreate..

Today I lost display though hdmi before login after a crash.. turned off and on and aand the display came back...

I'm staring to think it could be the power supply as it appears to crash randomly..

Just took crimson drivers off and it crashed again.... Grrrr ran a mem test for about 2 hours with no errors...

There is also a tp link WiFi card I'll try and see if it's that.. if not I'll come back and list everything I've done...

Additional Comment:

So removing the tp link 300mb pci card has not given me a crash yet...

Ive ran unigine valley and the other one and benchmarked both with success...

Is there a problem with these cards and Windows 10 .. I didn't install drivers as Windows did it automatically..

Last edited by Noax963; 04-20-2017 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
PommieB
Overclocker

The Tplink card appears to be faulty, I'm been using a tplink modem for over a year now and it hasn't missed a beat, just thought I'd mention that, pleased you got it sorted, mine was new not second hand and not a card.
Australia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply