EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Network Hardware (Wired & Wireless)

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Docsis questions

I won't be upgrading to a internet package that includes speeds in excess of docsis 3.0 specifications, ever probably, but certainly no time in the near future.

That said Comcast recently (after several years of no charge) started billing me rental fees for my modem/router/phone device. I'm going to be looking into buying my own equipment and I'm wondering if the rollout of docsis 3.1 could somehow cause problems with 3.0 devices.

I think 3.0 will continue to work normally for several years at least but can't find specific information on this.

Thanks.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

It shouldn't however, they require what they require, just make sure you get a modem on their compatibility list, 3.0 is more than sufficient for years frankly 2.0 was fine for most packages.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Should be fine, but a Sufboard SB6190 is a cheap investment.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

If you buy a modem buy:
  • Motorola SB6141 if you're on an extreme budget an don't want to exceed ~200 megabit
  • Motorola SB6183 if you want a good middle of the road modem that works into the ~400 megabit range.
  • Motorola SB6190 if you want a really bad time. It's based on the Intel Puma chipset and has lots of latency issues and is pretty buggy.
  • Motorola SB8200 Docsis 3.1 modem that will last you a really long time. Should work with gigabit etc

All of the modems that aren't the SB6190 are broadcom based and are very solid devices. I've owned all of them and I'd recommend them all except for the SB6190.

EDIT: If you have phone service with them you have to rent their device for "CDV" (Comcast Digital Voice). There is no way around it.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
If you buy a modem buy:
  • Motorola SB6141 if you're on an extreme budget an don't want to exceed ~200 megabit
  • Motorola SB6183 if you want a good middle of the road modem that works into the ~400 megabit range.
  • Motorola SB6190 if you want a really bad time. It's based on the Intel Puma chipset and has lots of latency issues and is pretty buggy.
  • Motorola SB8200 Docsis 3.1 modem that will last you a really long time. Should work with gigabit etc

All of the modems that aren't the SB6190 are broadcom based and are very solid devices. I've owned all of them and I'd recommend them all except for the SB6190.

EDIT: If you have phone service with them you have to rent their device for "CDV" (Comcast Digital Voice). There is no way around it.
There was a firmware fix released for the 6190 that supposedly resolves the issues.

I should note, that I've never experienced any issue with my modem while gaming or otherwise. I've had this modem for a while. It is worlds better than the 6141 I had previously.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

I've had a Motorola/Arris SB6141 for years and it has been solid/stable for the entire time. When I moved and got a triple play deal from Time Warner (now Rectum ) I just bought a cheap FXS adapter off fleabay. Yeah I know you can't do that with Comcast because they use eMTA.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

Quote:
If you have phone service with them you have to rent their device for "CDV" (Comcast Digital Voice). There is no way around it.
That is my understanding also. I had my own Surfboard previously for just data, but when adding voice I was told I had to rent their equipment.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

A friend told me the Arris Surfboard TM822 model modems which have 2 telephone ports can be used with Comcast but you need to activate the phone number with your account number on an activation page.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
killermodz
Its Christmas n July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
There was a firmware fix released for the 6190 that supposedly resolves the issues.
Not at all. There are still major issues with the chipset, including a low throughput DDOS bug based on the handling of packets and the communication between the puma chipset and the hardware traffic offloading.

Its doubtful they will get the Puma 6 gear working in any respectable time, for any vendor. I'd stay in Puma 5 or Broadcom for now.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

They just started releasing newer firmwares around 2 or 3 weeks ago, is your info that up-to-date?

Regardless of all that, I can only speak subjectively, and I've had no issues with any performance from my 6190 since I've had it. I regularly download, game, and chat via VIOP, and none of those have shown any issues. I also am not an attack vector either though, so I can't speak to any of that.

Also, I may just be a lucky one.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Thanks for the info and advise everyone, before we move on I have a specific question regarding kwik's post.

Quote:

Comcast's website suggests these two modems ( arris svg2482ac-602, ARRIS TG862R) are approved and include voice function. Just looking for clarity on the voice issue, which I do use, but would drop in favor of VOIP at this point due to the infrequency of using the "land line"

Ok now as for VOIP, in your experience what's a good cheap solution that would allow me to port my number?

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Just looking for clarity on....

HAHAHAHA! Clarity!?!? Your a comcast customer! Clarity he says! lolololol!

signed-
Teh Dood

1. "Teh Dood" is an alter-ego / split personality who presents himself only after "The Dude" spends 75 minutes on the phone with comcast reps who basically tell him anything you do will cost you more than you currently pay, remove services - costs more, reduce channel lineup - costs more, drop the phone - costs more... God**** monopolies....

Last edited by The Dude; 05-02-2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #12
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Docsis questions

Ask them to cancel your service as you're going to frontier or some other service. They'll start jumping through hoops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

Quote:
Comcast's website suggests these two modems ( arris svg2482ac-602, ARRIS TG862R) are approved and include voice function. Just looking for clarity on the voice issue, which I do use, but would drop in favor of VOIP at this point due to the infrequency of using the "land line"

Ok now as for VOIP, in your experience what's a good cheap solution that would allow me to port my number?
Those aren't modem's they're gateways (router + modem + wireless)

for just a modem the Arris TM822 seems to be the main option.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Service...32277#U2632277
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
The Dude
I ❤ 7

My bad, my improper use of terminology may have been misleading. So those gateways I linked to appear to be approved for internet with voice. They should allow me to use my services without renting any equipment from Comcast. But kwik said a rental unit is needed so again if anyone can clarify that would help. I know the representatives I spoke with on the phone last night had varying information and wound up telling me to ask Best Buy, literally they told me the only ones who know what equipment works on Comcast is Best Buy. That's when the **** hit the fan.
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
My bad, my improper use of terminology may have been misleading. So those gateways I linked to appear to be approved for internet with voice. They should allow me to use my services without renting any equipment from Comcast. But kwik said a rental unit is needed so again if anyone can clarify that would help. I know the representatives I spoke with on the phone last night had varying information and wound up telling me to ask Best Buy, literally they told me the only ones who know what equipment works on Comcast is Best Buy. That's when the **** hit the fan.

If an employee of Comcast can't tell you what equipment is approved, there's major issues there. Time to give them a scathing review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the info and advise everyone, before we move on I have a specific question regarding kwik's post.

Additional Comment:

HAHAHAHA! Clarity!?!? Your a comcast customer! Clarity he says! lolololol!

signed-
Teh Dood

1. "Teh Dood" is an alter-ego / split personality who presents himself only after "The Dude" spends 75 minutes on the phone with comcast reps who basically tell him anything you do will cost you more than you currently pay, remove services - costs more, reduce channel lineup - costs more, drop the phone - costs more... God**** monopolies....
I stand corrected. It looks like there now modems you can buy that support digital voice. For years and years this was not the case.

The biggest difference between comcast's digital voice vs. VOIP is in theory CDV should still work if your internet does not as it not VOIP. If you cable gets cut physically you're ****ed either way, but your phone can still work even if your internet is down with CDV.

Plus you never have to deal with QOS settings and crap like that which creep up if you're using alot of throughput and VOIP at the same time.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 05-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #17
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Thanks for confirming.

Still undecided as to what direction I will go. I could save over 600/year by dropping phone and 4 channels that I watch, even after including 120/yr for voip. Nat Geo, FX & FXX, and IFC are the channels.

That 600 would pay for netflix, dvd.com, curiosity stream and spotify. Ugh, it's not that I can't pay the bill, it just seems stupid high for the 2-3 hours a day on average that the tv gets watched.... Too bad true ala carte choice doesn't exist. A high percentage of my bill is for sports and news stations that I never watch.
United States  Offline
Old 05-07-2017, 04:05 AM   #18
killermodz
Its Christmas n July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
They just started releasing newer firmwares around 2 or 3 weeks ago, is your info that up-to-date?

Regardless of all that, I can only speak subjectively, and I've had no issues with any performance from my 6190 since I've had it. I regularly download, game, and chat via VIOP, and none of those have shown any issues. I also am not an attack vector either though, so I can't speak to any of that.

Also, I may just be a lucky one.
It is indeed up to date. My company has access to the beta firmware and current GA for that modem. There are still major flaws and the 0 day DDOS issue present. The PUMA 6 issues are still so bad, in fact, that we have all modems and gateways with that chipset blacklisted from our network except for internal use until Intel has a proper resolution.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply