EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Water Cooling - (Plain & Chilled)

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Radiator on intake vs exhaust side

This is more of a discussion, but I see lots of builds stick a big radiator on the intake (front) side of the case pulling air in.
Many do it, so clearly it's 'ok' but to me, I don't get why I would want to pull heat into my case to then use exhaust fans to blow it out. Realistically, the CPU creates significantly less heat than the GPU, so it's far from the end of the world, but why is this setup so popular?

Is it due to lack of room in the case? or is it because if you put it on the exit side you're basically running hot air from the case through the rad?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
or is it because if you put it on the exit side you're basically running hot air from the case through the rad
This.
The object of the rad placement is to keep the loop the coolest.
The loop is what your trying to cool, not the inside of the case.
Inside you just do the best you can to exhaust it efficiently.
United States  Offline
Old 08-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

IMO..

Having the radiator as an intake means that it's sucking on cold air and thus keeping the CPU cooler.

Having it as an exhaust means it's sucking on warm/hot air keeping the CPU hotter.

The way I see it, if you keep your CPU cooler and dump its heat inside the case, that usually means that your GPU will run hotter since it will definitively catch up heat from the radiator. Personally I find the GPU to be more critical to heat than the CPU especially if it's aircooled (which is my case), so I try to keep the heat off the case.

The other components' temperatures are usually not critical enough to cause problem.

And, if your GPU/s are watercooled as well, then whether the radiator works as an exhaust or intake should not change anything temperature-wise to them, but other components will still generate heat and those will affect the temperature of the loop in the end.

Basically it's all about picking your battle.

I've been thinkering with an Arduino and a temperature probe dropped in my water loop, and found that my computer's water runs at 33c idle (background stuff running such as few Chrome tabs, etc.) in a 20c room (CPU temp of ~47c), and while gaming 40-42c water temp (~60-65c CPU temp). Not great temps you may say, and I shall agree! For the loop is quite old without maintenance, and most likely packed with dust. The fans are barely silent and drawing air from within the case, but are located up front. The case does not have intake fans but are all exhausts, and the GPU dumps most of its heat inside the case, but the side panel is made of exhaust fans. I do feel that the air gets quite warm when the water temp is hot, but I have no sensor in front of the fans. I probably should add that to the Arduino... (I could easily monitor both the cold side and the hot side of the radiator)
Canada  Online
Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

Get a case like the HAF 935, the radiator airflow is completely separate from the rest of the components, problem solved.
United States  Offline
Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post
Get a case like the HAF 935, the radiator airflow is completely separate from the rest of the components, problem solved.
hah, ya or get a sweet external rad mount.

About the HAF 935, I think you need a vaulted ceiling to fit that thing in the room man

Ya I was thinking about the temperature inside the case, related to the M2 memory now which is smushed close to the mobo, then you have internal hard drives and also the mobo chipsets.

Anyways, to me it seems like a rad on the case intake is the same thing as air cooling as far as internal temps go. Probably as far as HDDs go and possibly even mobo, a CM 212 or Nocuta is better since they are on the 'cold' side of the air flow and assuming you're pushing air from the heatsink towards the case exhaust fans. Although in reality, I'd expect water flowing via a pump to be a good bit better at pulling heat away from the cpu than copper pipes.

They should make a case with a giant 270 side panel intake fan, then front, top and rear can accommodate radiators mounted to exhaust air

Thanks for the feedback!
United States  Offline
Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post
About the HAF 935, I think you need a vaulted ceiling to fit that thing in the room man
It's not that bad, mine is sitting on the floor next to my desk and the top comes up almost even with the desk. I do have to leave a gap along the side because of the overhang but wouldn't want it flush anyway as there'd be no airflow.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...14&postcount=5
United States  Offline
Old 08-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

My AIO cooler is mounted on the top exhaust section of my Corsair case. (carbide 500R). Works well for me.
United States  Offline
Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Just as a FYI, I have added a probe to the Arduino and placed it in front of the radiator fans (exhaust side).

Room temperature of ~26c right now.
It seems that at idle, the exhausted air coming from the thick XSPC(?) 120.2 radiator is ~0.25c cooler than the water temperature. It looks like those radiators are pretty efficient after all. It also means that it would dump a decent amount of heat back in the case in an intake setup, should you wonder about this. I'll check whether the delta of 0.25c stays at higher temperatures when under load.

But then again, with proper case ventilation, this is not really an issue.

I'm missing a few connectors to be able to add a 3rd probe to the intake side of the radiator and figure out some more numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170810_155626.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	172681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170810_154942.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	172682  

Last edited by Nagoshi; 08-12-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Canada  Online
Old 08-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Thanks Nagodshi!
I can't see the pictures though. Says please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #10
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

****ing Photobucket updated its policies and broke the Internet, disabling hotlinking without paying...
Updating the post so the pictures are attached instead.
Canada  Online
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply