EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Motherboards

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Preferred Board manufacturer

I'm looking around trying to make up my mind about my next motherboard.
I don't upgrade my system often so long term reliability is very important to me.
My first build was an Asus P4p800 deluxe. It ran a super long time, I still have it in storage and it might still boot.
Next I went to EVGA 780i mobo, which died sooner than I wanted so back to asus I went with the rig you see in my signature.

So with that said I've been reading a lot of bad reviews of asus mobo and even some issues with their 1080 graphic cards.
On the other hand the msi boards are quite well reviewed at newegg and I know someone that things the gigabyte graphic cards are the best period...

In the past I've built 2 computers for my cousin with Asus boards and those are solid too, but nothing in the past 2-3 years.
Anyways so I'm left here wondering if I should stick to asus or go somewhere else.
I have no interest in LED or pretty boards, my cases have a solid side panel and I have no intention to change that.
What would you recommend? At this point I'm waiting for the z370 but I'm curious about your experience with motherboards.

Thanks
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

I've had good luck with ASUS.

For a few budget builds with for friends I've used gigabyte and asrock without issue.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
I've had good luck with ASUS.

For a few budget builds with for friends I've used gigabyte and asrock without issue.
Thanks yes, my luck with Asus has been great too, but I didn't know if they dropped the ball recently.

I built a NAS using an ASrock board with C2750 atom cpu, I'm hoping that will be rock solid for years too.
United States  Offline
Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post
I built a NAS using an ASrock board with C2750 atom cpu, I'm hoping that will be rock solid for years too.
You are aware of the C2xxx atom bug right?
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Not a fan of ASUS motherboards anymore despite having owned almost exclusively their motherboards. Didn't know how terribly slow their POST process was until I bought an MSI motherboard for my new build just to try something new.

I've seen reports that over the years their products have shown worse and worse boot to Windows times as subsequent products were released.
United States  Offline
Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Hah, ya post is mega slow on my board too, I get the good ole double post as well...
It is annoying, yes, but I'll gladly take that for a board that will last 6+ years without problems, than deal with what I did when my EVGA went belly up, with a raid 0 array...

how long you had the MSI?
United States  Offline
Old 08-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post
Hah, ya post is mega slow on my board too, I get the good ole double post as well...
It is annoying, yes, but I'll gladly take that for a board that will last 6+ years without problems, than deal with what I did when my EVGA went belly up, with a raid 0 array...

how long you had the MSI?
Since November. Quick boots, stable, easy to learn uEFI interface. Lots of USB ports (my main requirement).
United States  Offline
Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Personally my EVGA board is the only one I've had issues with (albeit minor ones).
I've had solid experiences with ASUS and MSI, and Gigabit being a large majority with their UD line with 0 issues.
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Thanks for the feedback Spartacus
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

The only flaky board I had was an EVGA 780i. Recently had a MSI die after 7 years considering it was only 130 bucks when I bought it that's pretty good. One Gigabyte that was slow booting and they fixed it under RMA and still works after 9 years. I have an Asus now in my machine that seems to be alright. I think they are all around the same except some overclock better than others but reliability and endurance wise pretty equal.
Canada  Offline
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #11
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmcmillan View Post
The only flaky board I had was an EVGA 780i. Recently had a MSI die after 7 years considering it was only 130 bucks when I bought it that's pretty good. One Gigabyte that was slow booting and they fixed it under RMA and still works after 9 years. I have an Asus now in my machine that seems to be alright. I think they are all around the same except some overclock better than others but reliability and endurance wise pretty equal.
that seems to be the board chip / manufacturer that has seen all the problems
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply